Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child with higher atDNA percentages than parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child with higher atDNA percentages than parents?

Using the Eurogenes k13 tool on GEDmatch, I show 1.46% South Asian, my wife shows .69%, and my son shows 2.18%. With Eurogenes V2 k15, I show .93% South Asian, my wife shows .29%, and my son 1.42%. How is it possible that my son shows a higher amount than my wife & I? I noticed something similar with Scandinavian on 23andMe. I show 1.2% Scandinavian and my wife shows 6% Scandinavian, yet my son shows 6.9%. Shouldn't my son's amounts be about half of my wife & my amounts combined?

Just to be sure I would suggest some more DNA testings if there is no plausible explanation for the results.

Comment

Each chromosome comes in a pair, a maternal and a paternal.
      46 single chromosomes.

We each receive 23 single chromosome from each parent which are a random mixture of their pairs (50%)

Now this 50% your son received from you may contain your DNA which contained this 1.2% Scandinavian(received 100% of your Scandinavian DNA), while his 50% from your wife contained 5.7% (received 95% of your wifes Scandinavian DNA ), for a total of 6.9% Scandinavian.

Your son just received a random half(50%) of yours and your wifes DNA, ethnicity/genetic wise it is all random in regards to percentages depending on what section were inherited.
      Last edited by prairielad; 2 March 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
        Now this 50% your son received from you may contain your DNA which contained this 1.2% Scandinavian(received 100% of your Scandinavian DNA), while his 50% from your wife contained 5.7% (received 95% of your wifes Scandinavian DNA ), for a total of 6.9% Scandinavian.
        Your math works only for the Scandinavian DNA but not for both of the South Asian DNAs.

He said: "I show 1.46% South Asian, my wife shows .69%, and my son shows 2.18%."
        1.46 plus 0.69 equals 2.15, that is less than 2.18

And he said: "With Eurogenes V2 k15, I show .93% South Asian, my wife shows .29%, and my son 1.42%"
        0.93 plus 0.29 equals 1.22, that is less than 1.42

How can his son get more than 100%? Maybe the test results were not that accurate?
        Last edited by E19463; 2 March 2015, 12:12 PM.

Comment

The faulty math may come from the fact that you are comparing the FF DNA results using a test not designed with the same program parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
            The faulty math may come from the fact that you are comparing the FF DNA results using a test not designed with the same program parameters.
            I see. Maybe sometimes it is better not to compare!

Comment

Remember, that each of the population percentages comes from some kind of multivariate fitting, where the populations are not orthogonal to one another. So you would not expect the answers to be good to .01, but rather there would be some larger, hard to quantify error limit.

MyOrigins will not list percentages less than 1% and rounds all answers to 1%. Models at gedmatch will list to the nearest hundredth of a percent, but are nowhere near that accurate. For example, compare the range of outcomes you get from the different models even within a model group like Eurogenes ...

Comment

Ah, got it! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NCroots View Post
                  Using the Eurogenes k13 tool on GEDmatch, I show 1.46% South Asian, my wife shows .69%, and my son shows 2.18%. With Eurogenes V2 k15, I show .93% South Asian, my wife shows .29%, and my son 1.42%. How is it possible that my son shows a higher amount than my wife & I? I noticed something similar with Scandinavian on 23andMe. I show 1.2% Scandinavian and my wife shows 6% Scandinavian, yet my son shows 6.9%. Shouldn't my son's amounts be about half of my wife & my amounts combined?
                  Because they are merely estimates and trace amounts at that, which means they may just be "noise". You're taking the numbers far too literally. I have 55% British results from AncestryDNA and 0% British Isles from FTDNA - and you're nitpicking over a few percentages and fractions of a percentage? LOL Sorry but the ethnicity percentages are not that precise.

Comment

Originally posted by E19463 View Post
                    I see. Maybe sometimes it is better not to compare!
                    Actually, I'm in agreement with your statement. I don't compare my FTDNA results to any of the calculators on GEDmatch. Nor do I run my Ancestry DNA results through those ethnicity calculators.

On FTDNA, I come out ethnically 100% European: Broken down into Western/Central Europe 57% and Scandinavia 43%.

Over at Ancestry, my DNA comes out 100% European: Broken down into 57% Great Britain, 12% Iberian Peninsula, 11% Scandinavia, 10% Ireland, 7% Finland/Northwest Russia, and 3% Europe-West.

Comment

Working...
                    X