Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    Like who?

There is no need test any more Irish people. My Wife's and my autosomal dna is typical of what is found in Ireland. What we need is some ancient dna results from Ireland to compare with ours.
    Fascinating to hear that the whole of the Irish population can use DNA results from you and your wife Planning to put all of the testing companies out of business?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynCra View Post
      Fascinating to hear that the whole of the Irish population can use DNA results from you and your wife Planning to put all of the testing companies out of business?
      The Irish are the most dna tested race on the planet at present.

Comment

• Chr Start Location End Location Centimorgans (cM) SNPs
        1 58324022 60301951 3.1 605
        1 161846579 163458326 3.2 474
        1 242381483 243190107 3.1 224
        2 8522541 9857801 3.6 316
        2 42363333 44550660 3.2 554
        2 98552299 103109002 3.6 1084
        2 130250751 132991112 3.7 305
        8 65600675 69622891 3.0 843
        9 86036753 88459081 3.8 671
        9 129909844 131542622 3.3 429
        10 4813414 6305408 3.8 588
        10 91634406 94958206 3.2 822
        10 126891920 128190687 3.3 450
        12 1807772 3525356 5.1 564
        14 22441620 23639258 4.0 368
        15 96227956 97417482 3.2 428
        18 7220612 7872917 3.1 210
        19 5420695 7014372 4.3 447
        20 4977207 5676237 3.7 215
        22 20746006 21896019 3.3 179
        22 26160956 28514950 3.3 560

Largest segment = 5.1 cM
        Total of segments > 3 cM = 73.8 cM

Comparing my kit to kit number F999933 the Hungarian Celt who died around 1,110-1,270 BC.

Comment

The Irish are the most dna tested race on the planet at present.
          And according to you, there's no need to test any other Irish people, since you believe the results will be the same as or similar to you.

Have they cloned you and all people in Ireland from just a few individuals? Do you really mean to have us believe that genetic diversity is that lacking among Irish people??!!

Now you're claiming not only that your ancestors have been in Ireland eternally, but all people of Ireland have solely Irish ancestry. That's about the most ridiculous claim I've heard you make. Or have I misunderstood?

Comment

• Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
            And according to you, there's no need to test any other Irish people, since you believe the results will be the same as or similar to you.

Have they cloned you and all people in Ireland from just a few individuals? Do you really mean to have us believe that genetic diversity is that lacking among Irish people??!!

Now you're claiming not only that your ancestors have been in Ireland eternally, but all people of Ireland have solely Irish ancestry. That's about the most ridiculous claim I've heard you make. Or have I misunderstood?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-the-same.html
            "All humans are 99.9 per cent identical and, of that tiny 0.1 per cent difference, 94 per cent of the variation is among individuals from the same populations and only six per cent between individuals from different populations."

Comment

• I think we may need to let this thread cool down some. Please take a break before continuing.

-Darren
              Family Tree DNA

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-the-same.html
                "All humans are 99.9 per cent identical and, of that tiny 0.1 per cent difference, 94 per cent of the variation is among individuals from the same populations and only six per cent between individuals from different populations."
                A telegraph article from 2002 is your reference?

You would know by now, surely, of the similarities and variants between populations and even and within populations.

Within that small percentage we have the the varying characteristics, traits and genetic signatures within the human genome.

Assuming ALL Irish people have DNA that is entirely ancient is ignorant.
                Last edited by N21163; 14 March 2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                  A telegraph article from 2002 is your reference?

You would know by now, surely, of the similarities and variants between populations and even and within populations.

Within that small percentage we have the the varying characteristics, traits and genetic signatures within the human genome.

Assuming ALL Irish people have DNA that is entirely ancient is ignorant.
                  The scientists all agree that we are all descended from the first modern humans who lived around 200,000 years ago.

Comment

The scientists all agree that we are all descended from the first modern humans who lived around 200,000 years ago.
                    I believe the figure has been revised further back from 200,000 years has it not?

So...based on what you mention above, you believe that the ancestors of Irish people migrated to Ireland tens of thousands of years ago, and from that time until now, there has been no other DNA mixed into the population from neighbouring nations including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Germany, Spain, France...nowhere...

Is that what you are saying?

It is one thing to state that Irish people will have some connection to ancient DNA (which they will do invariably, or at least some will), but you are stating there is no possible way that there has been any admixture and that ALL Irish people ONLY have "ancient" DNA... given all that has happened in Ireland's history...
                    Last edited by N21163; 15 March 2015, 03:58 AM.

Comment

I believe the figure has been revised further back from 200,000 years has it not?

So...based on what you mention above, you believe that the ancestors of Irish people migrated to Ireland tens of thousands of years ago, and from that time until now, there has been no other DNA mixed into the population from neighbouring nations including the British Isles, Scandinavia, Germany, Spain, France...nowhere...

Is that what you are saying?

It is one thing to state that Irish people will have some connection to ancient DNA (which they will do invariably, or at least some will), but you are stating there is no possible way that there has been any admixture and that ALL Irish people ONLY have "ancient" DNA... given all that has happened in Ireland's history...
                      My Wife and Son have 100% European and 100% Isles in their myOrigins results and some of my friends in Ireland have the same.

Comment

My Wife and Son have 100% European and 100% Isles in their myOrigins results and some of my friends in Ireland have the same.
                        Do your wife, son and some of your friends equate to all of Ireland?

MyOrigins still needs refining and will be refined as time goes on. Your results state you are European, and at this time the algorithm states that you are similar to that of other people in the British Isles and Ireland.

British Isles
                        "The British Isles cluster includes all European Islands from the far north and down south to the Azores Islands off the coast of Spain, though it’s especially typical of Ireland. The continuous mixing of European populations means that this group is also present in lesser amounts on the mainland. Genetically close to the Western and Central Europe and Scandinavia clusters, British Isles has had an impact on the demography of the world because of the explosion of population in the Anglosphere over the past few centuries.

The farmers came to Britain late, but when they came they brought great change. The hunters were assimilated by the farmer. This admixture caused the British Isles cluster as we know it to become a hybrid of farmer and hunter. Perhaps due to its isolation and strategic placement, the major powers in the world and throughout history have wanted to rule the islands. From Caesar to the Irish king Niall of the Nine Hostages, we see the wide variety of genetic influence from the Celts, Picts, Vikings, Normans and French."

Did you not receive approximately 2% in the "Scandinavia" category?

A clear distinction has not yet been made between Irish and different British nationalities in this algorithm. Secondly this gives a rough possible timeline but this will be refined further in time.

In addition, nowhere, does it state with absolute certainty that all of your DNA is linked to ancient DNA.
                        Last edited by N21163; 15 March 2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

MyOrigins still needs refining and will be refined as time goes on. Your results state you are European, and at this time the algorithm states that you are similar to that of other people in the British Isles and Ireland.

British Isles
                          "The British Isles cluster includes all European Islands from the far north and down south to the Azores Islands off the coast of Spain, though it’s especially typical of Ireland. The continuous mixing of European populations means that this group is also present in lesser amounts on the mainland. Genetically close to the Western and Central Europe and Scandinavia clusters, British Isles has had an impact on the demography of the world because of the explosion of population in the Anglosphere over the past few centuries.

The farmers came to Britain late, but when they came they brought great change. The hunters were assimilated by the farmer. This admixture caused the British Isles cluster as we know it to become a hybrid of farmer and hunter. Perhaps due to its isolation and strategic placement, the major powers in the world and throughout history have wanted to rule the islands. From Caesar to the Irish king Niall of the Nine Hostages, we see the wide variety of genetic influence from the Celts, Picts, Vikings, Normans and French."

Did you not receive approximately 2% in the "Scandinavia" category?

A clear distinction has not yet been made between Irish and different British nationalities in this algorithm. Secondly this gives a rough possible timeline but this will be refined further in time.

In addition, nowhere, does it state with absolute certainty that all of your DNA is linked to ancient DNA.
                          So I originated out of thin air.

This Isles cluster is estimated to be 2000-4000ybp.

You think that the Vikings and Normans had a major impact on the autosomal dna of the Irish.

You are aware that the Irish have Mesolithic(WHG) links with Denmark and France.

Comment

• According to K15 I'm about as Irish as you 1798 although your paper trail indicates a lot more Irish (100% to 19%). That would make me question K15. Or do I have lot more Irish than the paper trail indicates and you a lot less?

Comment

• Originally posted by gatty View Post
                              According to K15 I'm about as Irish as you 1798 although your paper trail indicates a lot more Irish (100% to 19%). That would make me question K15. Or do I have lot more Irish than the paper trail indicates and you a lot less?
                              What we need is Mesolithic,Neolithic and Bronze Age dna from Ireland. Until we get this all we can do is speculate. At present we haven't one decent Mesolithic sample from all of western Europe.

Comment

So I originated out of thin air.
                                Now you're just being silly....and it's evident you chose to only answer one part of my post....completely missing the point.

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                                This Isles cluster is estimated to be 2000-4000ybp.
                                Right...still remember there is further refining to do with myOrigins.

You think that the Vikings and Normans had a major impact on the autosomal dna of the Irish.
                                In some cases they may have done, given Ireland's history...the English, Scots maybe even French may have had an impact as well.

You are aware that the Irish have Mesolithic(WHG) links with Denmark and France.
                                Is it a definite Mesolithic connection is it? Not Neolithic or more recent in some cases?

Everyone in Ireland only has DNA linked to the Mesolithic? I haven't read any articles that say as such...where are the samples of ancient DNA in Ireland, where comparisons have been made to the whole of Ireland's DNA database?

Or is this one of those cases where you instinctively know and you "don't need scientists to tell you what to think"?

There are connections all over the place and I never stated anything on the contrary.

A clear distinction has not yet been made between Irish and different British nationalities in this algorithm.

Secondly this gives a rough possible timeline but this will be refined further in time.

What we need is Mesolithic,Neolithic and Bronze Age dna from Ireland. Until we get this all we can do is speculate. At present we haven't one decent Mesolithic sample from all of western Europe.
                                Ah a moment of clarity...
                                Last edited by N21163; 15 March 2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X