Gedmatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedmatch

If one lowers the threshold to 3 cMs and 150 SNPs one will see how many matching segments one has to the any other tester. We must have matching segments to everyone on the planet.

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
    If one lowers the threshold to 3 cMs and 150 SNPs one will see how many matching segments one has to the any other tester. We must have matching segments to everyone on the planet.
    I know I have seen people in my list that say they have a match of say 10.5cm but when I click the "A" it shows no match. If I lower the threshold they show up and are the listed cm. not sure what is going on.

I do not believe the my origins at all for FTDNA
    and the oracles at GEDmatch are just ok

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
      I know I have seen people in my list that say they have a match of say 10.5cm but when I click the "A" it shows no match. If I lower the threshold they show up and are the listed cm. not sure what is going on.

I do not believe the my origins at all for FTDNA
      and the oracles at GEDmatch are just ok
      The calculators do not use all of our dna. Some use 80,000 SNPs and others 180,000 etc.

Comment

I haven't ever gone down to 3cM and we aren't supposed to because of way too many false matches. Even at 7cM there are some false matches but a lot less. At 15cM someone with a a lot of experience, I can't remember the name, stated that there are no false matches.

Most of your matches at 3cM should be people of western European ancestry, even of only partially because a lot of those matches are due to common ancient ancestry. Or, are you saying that you have Chinese, Vietnamese, African, and Middle Eastern matches at when you lower down to 3 cM? I doubt that is the case because Gedmatch, IIRC, has a limit of 150 matches and as I said most of your matches, if not all, should have European ancestry.

Comment

I can't even bring up the Gedmatch website. Anyone else having this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
            I haven't ever gone down to 3cM and we aren't supposed to because of way too many false matches. Even at 7cM there are some false matches but a lot less. At 15cM someone with a a lot of experience, I can't remember the name, stated that there are no false matches.

Most of your matches at 3cM should be people of western European ancestry, even of only partially because a lot of those matches are due to common ancient ancestry. Or, are you saying that you have Chinese, Vietnamese, African, and Middle Eastern matches at when you lower down to 3 cM? I doubt that is the case because Gedmatch, IIRC, has a limit of 150 matches and as I said most of your matches, if not all, should have European ancestry.

I think you misunderstood me or I did not explain it well. These matches are over the 7 cms. but do not always show up on one to one unless I lower it to the 3cm/300snps. then they show up , not sure if there is a problem.

I also do not look into any matches lower them 7cms and those even are hard to find a common person.

I have only been doing this a short time and am learning what to look at and what not to.

Comment

Originally posted by Carla View Post
              I can't even bring up the Gedmatch website. Anyone else having this problem?
              yep, not working

Comment

I lowered the threshold because I have a match at FTDNA who matched me in several segments in FF and only one in Gedmatch. A 13.5 segment isn't IBS with this person.

Comment

Originally posted by hazel_ion View Post
                  I think you misunderstood me or I did not explain it well. These matches are over the 7 cms. but do not always show up on one to one unless I lower it to the 3cm/300snps. then they show up , not sure if there is a problem.

I also do not look into any matches lower them 7cms and those even are hard to find a common person.

I have only been doing this a short time and am learning what to look at and what not to.
                  The post of mine that you quoted was in response to 1798 and not a response to your post. I hadn't even read your post because I didn't have time. I'm not even sure my post was the one that you meant to quote.

Comment

I lowered the threshold because I have a match at FTDNA who matched me in several segments in FF and only one in Gedmatch. A 13.5 segment isn't IBS with this person.
                    Gedmatch and FTDNA use different algorithms. I wouldn't consider the 13.5 segment to be IBS either. As the size of the matching segments increase from 7cM to 15cM the likelihood of a false matches decreases. 13.5 is much closer to 15 than it is to 7 therefore it is very unlikely to be a false match.

Now, my response to you initial post still stands and I assume all or almost all of your 150 matches at Gedmatch were from Europe and mainly northern and western Europe.

Comment

Gedmatch and FTDNA use different algorithms. I wouldn't consider the 13.5 segment to be IBS either. As the size of the matching segments increase from 7cM to 15cM the likelihood of a false matches decreases. 13.5 is much closer to 15 than it is to 7 therefore it is very unlikely to be a false match.

Now, my response to you initial post still stands and I assume all or almost all of your 150 matches at Gedmatch were from Europe and mainly northern and western Europe.
                      You misunderstood my post. I can only use the one to one comparison at present.

I was experimenting a little with different thresholds and I found that a friend of mine who sent me his ID has plenty of matching segments to my dna but they are under 7 cM.

The Gedmatch site is interesting and I can learn lots of stuff from it.

Comment

You misunderstood my post. I can only use the one to one comparison at present.

I was experimenting a little with different thresholds and I found that a friend of mine who sent me his ID has plenty of matching segments to my dna but they are under 7 cM.

The Gedmatch site is interesting and I can learn lots of stuff from it.
                        The part you bolded was about my response to your statement "Gedmatch. If one lowers the threshold to 3 cMs and 150 SNPs one will see how many matching segments one has to the any other tester. We must have matching segments to everyone on the planet."

I did assume you were using the one-to-many matches in order for you to make that statement. It was the logical assumption.

Even though you aren't using the one-to-many I'm not sure that your conclusion is valid since I have never seen people with non-European ancestry report if they have common 3cM segments with Europeans and you did not report that you have tested it out in that way. So you only tested people with ancestry from your part of the planet.

We would need kit numbers of people that have no European ancestry to test your initial statement.

Comment

The part you bolded was about my response to your statement "Gedmatch. If one lowers the threshold to 3 cMs and 150 SNPs one will see how many matching segments one has to the any other tester. We must have matching segments to everyone on the planet."

I did assume you were using the one-to-many matches in order for you to make that statement. It was the logical assumption.

Even though you aren't using the one-to-many I'm not sure that your conclusion is valid since I have never seen people with non-European ancestry report if they have common 3cM segments with Europeans and you did not report that you have tested it out in that way. So you only tested people with ancestry from your part of the planet.

We would need kit numbers of people that have no European ancestry to test your initial statement.
                          I have matching segments with K14 (F999936) and MA-1(F999914). When I am able to use the one to many I will see what I can do. If we all share 99.9% of our dna, why would we not have matching segments?

Comment

I have matching segments with K14 (F999936) and MA-1(F999914). When I am able to use the one to many I will see what I can do. If we all share 99.9% of our dna, why would we not have matching segments?
                            K14 (F999936) and MA-1(F999914) have components that are ancestral to Europeans. Your original statement was about matching segments to everyone on the planet at 3cM.

As I said before. You need kits of people from the rest of the planet, that don't have European ancestry, in order to validate your statement.

Comment

K14 (F999936) and MA-1(F999914) have components that are ancestral to Europeans. Your original statement was about matching segments to everyone on the planet at 3cM.

As I said before. You need kits of people from the rest of the planet, that don't have European ancestry, in order to validate your statement.
                              Are you offended by what I wrote?

Comment

Working...
                              X