GEDmatch Plus for Google Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEDmatch Plus for Google Chrome

GEDmatch Plus is a chrome browser extension that adds additional functionality for GEDmatch website (www.gedmatch.com) like themes and caching.

The extension adds a number of features to GEDmatch:
    • Several Themes, Styles etc
    • Caching of 1-to-Many, 1-to-1 Autosomal and 1-to-1 X-DNA, to reduce server load and boost performance. Caches are automatically expired after 7 days.

Link: http://www.y-str.org/2015/01/gedmatc...le-chrome.html

GEDmatch Basics

Would someone kindly explain in simple terms how I go about finding and using GEDmatch for the first time. My original Y-DNA 25 markers are on the FTDNA database and their Haplogroup Q project funded my BIG Y test. My Y-DNA results now say my ancestry is Native American but I possess a family photograph and letter c1870 which suggests black African. I wonder whether GEDmatch would be any use to me in view of this contradiction?

Comment

No, Gedmatch is for autosomal test comparisons only. For YDNA you can try YSearch.org.

Comment

Don't forget that your Y ancestry is ONLY derived from the father's Y, his father's Y etc. It has nothing to do with any females in the line. I dont know what your letter and photo
        say, but if the DNA says Native American Y, then I would believe the test. It is very possible for someone to have a NA Y and look completely Black/White or whatever. Depends on how far back the Y entered. Or so it seems to me.

Comment

Felix, thanks. I didn't see any documentation. How do you access the cached files, and does that affect how you do searches?

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
            Felix, thanks. I didn't see any documentation. How do you access the cached files, and does that affect how you do searches?
            The caches are enabled by default (which can be changed from options). And, no you don't go anywhere to view cached pages. It will be served automatically when you normally browse the website. All you had to do is just use the website as usually as before.

The way it works is like this:
            If you do 1-to-many (for 2 people with a particular setting), and again after 2 or 3 days you do 1-to-many for the same 2 people with the exact same setting, it quickly gives you the details from cache. The same is for 1-to-1 autosomal and X comparisons. The cache is kept only for 7 days. After 7 days, if you do search, for the exact 2 people with the same settings, it will request again from server and caches them for another 7 days.

This way, if you are actively using GEDmatch comparisons and most often to same set of people for genealogy research, it will cache pages locally and boost performance while avoiding unnecessary traffic to server.

Comment

thanks, Felix--just to clarify, if I want to do an entirely new search on a kit before the 7 days are up is there an option to clear the cache?

Just checking before I install the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                thanks, Felix--just to clarify, if I want to do an entirely new search on a kit before the 7 days are up is there an option to clear the cache?

Just checking before I install the extension.
                Yes, you can clear all cache from the options.

Comment

Felix,

I installed the extension; very nice appearance and cached pages load quickly. I couldn't see any links to change the theme or to clear the cache. Could you clarify how to do those things?

Thanks!

Comment

Never mind, found it--under Options on the Chrome Extensions page.

Comment

Working...
                    X