X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by RobertaMarques View Post
    How accurate is this crazy tool?

It said my parents are 4th cousins and the same result to two of my father's matches.

Then I tried to run my dad's result and it says his parents are 4th cousin.
    I don't know but a very brainy man created it and all the other dna tools on his site.

Leave a comment:

• RobertaMarques
    replied
    Parents 4th cousins?

How accurate is this crazy tool?

It said my parents are 4th cousins and the same result to two of my father's matches.

Then I tried to run my dad's result and it says his parents are 4th cousin.
    Last edited by RobertaMarques; 30 December 2014, 03:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Mal'ta boy's parents were siblings. In fact in a lot of the ancient dna tests the parents were siblings. Incest was rife in the past.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by larzus View Post
    It's the same in certain places in England. I'm beginning to wonder if it is like this right through England. eg the families of Chardstock in Dorset, and those of Harptree in Somerset, and of St Neot in Cornwall. If you've inherited DNA from one of those regions you get lots and lots of matches all with a good paper trail back to the village/town but no direct link. The same families just married each other from 1550 to 1800.

I don't have enough records for Ireland to confirm it, but my Irish side is looking this way too.

Not to mention Nova Scotia!

I have 420 matches and have positively identified the MRCA for seven of them. I'm pretty sure endogamy is playing a part. I'm expecting miracles from my next lot of family finder tests which are batching now .
    Here is a link to one of felix's calculators.
    http://www.y-str.org/2014/12/pedigre...alculator.html.
    It shows that my late parents were 4th cousins and my wife and I are also 4th cousins.

Leave a comment:

• larzus
    replied
    It's the same in certain places in England. I'm beginning to wonder if it is like this right through England. eg the families of Chardstock in Dorset, and those of Harptree in Somerset, and of St Neot in Cornwall. If you've inherited DNA from one of those regions you get lots and lots of matches all with a good paper trail back to the village/town but no direct link. The same families just married each other from 1550 to 1800.

I don't have enough records for Ireland to confirm it, but my Irish side is looking this way too.

Not to mention Nova Scotia!

I have 420 matches and have positively identified the MRCA for seven of them. I'm pretty sure endogamy is playing a part. I'm expecting miracles from my next lot of family finder tests which are batching now .

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by keigh View Post
    1798, I'd ask where do many of these FF matches come from? Do they tend to be strictly from Ireland as I know you're from Ireland? Is this Irish connection that is eluding you?
    The majority of my FF matches are among the Diaspora.

Leave a comment:

• hansonrf
    replied
    Originally posted by Hneel View Post
    What about marrying within a small group, because people lived within a small group? For example small town or small islands.

For the DNA it doesn't matter what the reasons were.
    Good point. Whereever or whatever the cause or causes, the result is referred to as pedigree collapse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse

Leave a comment:

• keigh
    replied
    1798, I'd ask where do many of these FF matches come from? Do they tend to be strictly from Ireland as I know you're from Ireland? Is this Irish connection that is eluding you?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by Hneel View Post
    What about marrying within a small group, because people lived within a small group? For example small town or small islands.

It does make a difference. It is probably the reason that I have a lot of FF matches but cannot connect then to a paper trail.

Leave a comment:

• Hneel
    replied

Leave a comment:

started a topic Endogamy

Endogamy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogamy

"Endogamy is the practice of marrying within a specific ethnic group, class, or social group, rejecting others on such a basis as being unsuitable for marriage or for other close personal relationships."

This happened in Ireland also.
Working...
X