Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endogamy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogamy

"Endogamy is the practice of marrying within a specific ethnic group, class, or social group, rejecting others on such a basis as being unsuitable for marriage or for other close personal relationships."

This happened in Ireland also.

What about marrying within a small group, because people lived within a small group? For example small town or small islands.

For the DNA it doesn't matter what the reasons were.

Comment

Originally posted by Hneel View Post
      What about marrying within a small group, because people lived within a small group? For example small town or small islands.

It does make a difference. It is probably the reason that I have a lot of FF matches but cannot connect then to a paper trail.

Comment

1798, I'd ask where do many of these FF matches come from? Do they tend to be strictly from Ireland as I know you're from Ireland? Is this Irish connection that is eluding you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hneel View Post

Good point. Whereever or whatever the cause or causes, the result is referred to as pedigree collapse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
            1798, I'd ask where do many of these FF matches come from? Do they tend to be strictly from Ireland as I know you're from Ireland? Is this Irish connection that is eluding you?
            The majority of my FF matches are among the Diaspora.

Comment

It's the same in certain places in England. I'm beginning to wonder if it is like this right through England. eg the families of Chardstock in Dorset, and those of Harptree in Somerset, and of St Neot in Cornwall. If you've inherited DNA from one of those regions you get lots and lots of matches all with a good paper trail back to the village/town but no direct link. The same families just married each other from 1550 to 1800.

I don't have enough records for Ireland to confirm it, but my Irish side is looking this way too.

Not to mention Nova Scotia!

I have 420 matches and have positively identified the MRCA for seven of them. I'm pretty sure endogamy is playing a part. I'm expecting miracles from my next lot of family finder tests which are batching now .

Comment

Originally posted by larzus View Post
                It's the same in certain places in England. I'm beginning to wonder if it is like this right through England. eg the families of Chardstock in Dorset, and those of Harptree in Somerset, and of St Neot in Cornwall. If you've inherited DNA from one of those regions you get lots and lots of matches all with a good paper trail back to the village/town but no direct link. The same families just married each other from 1550 to 1800.

I don't have enough records for Ireland to confirm it, but my Irish side is looking this way too.

Not to mention Nova Scotia!

I have 420 matches and have positively identified the MRCA for seven of them. I'm pretty sure endogamy is playing a part. I'm expecting miracles from my next lot of family finder tests which are batching now .
                Here is a link to one of felix's calculators.
                http://www.y-str.org/2014/12/pedigre...alculator.html.
                It shows that my late parents were 4th cousins and my wife and I are also 4th cousins.

Comment

Mal'ta boy's parents were siblings. In fact in a lot of the ancient dna tests the parents were siblings. Incest was rife in the past.

Comment

Parents 4th cousins?

How accurate is this crazy tool?

It said my parents are 4th cousins and the same result to two of my father's matches.

Then I tried to run my dad's result and it says his parents are 4th cousin.
                    Last edited by RobertaMarques; 30 December 2014, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertaMarques View Post

It said my parents are 4th cousins and the same result to two of my father's matches.

I don't know but a very brainy man created it and all the other dna tools on his site.

Comment

I got 4th cousins too, but I know for a fact that my parents are not related (at least anywhere near that close). My mother was Amish and my father wasn't. When I ran a similar tool in GEDmatch, it came up that they weren't related.

Comment

Originally posted by sas377 View Post
                          I got 4th cousins too, but I know for a fact that my parents are not related (at least anywhere near that close). My mother was Amish and my father wasn't. When I ran a similar tool in GEDmatch, it came up that they weren't related.
                          It is possible my wife and I are fourth cousins as our ancestors came from the same region.

Comment

Pedigree Collapse Calculator

This calculator shows that the ancient dna was not contaminated by humans during the testing process because Mal'ta boy's parent show up as siblings. I hope that felix continues to work on these great and free tools and thanks again.

Comment

I'm feeling a bit downhearted about the whole family finder thing tonight. Endogamy has almost beaten me.

I was very excited when my parents agreed to test. I thought when the tests came through I'd be able to sort my matches into paternal or maternal.

But no. Seems I am a closer predicted relation to a whole heap of matches than either parent. Father matches one segment. Mother matches a different segment. I match a smaller portion of each segment but added together it makes a bigger overall match.

Oh well. I'll take a fresh look tomorrow to see if I can sort it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X