"Exciting new updates"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Exciting new updates"

(Tried posting this in the New Features section but seems moderation is switched on there.)

so ...

"Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to introduce some exciting new updates. Please check back soon!"

Anybody know what these updates are? I know the new Big Y match tool was in beta/limited release, but this message says updates, plural.

Originally posted by gtc View Post
    (Tried posting this in the New Features section but seems moderation is switched on there.)

so ...

"Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to introduce some exciting new updates. Please check back soon!"

Anybody know what these updates are? I know the new Big Y match tool was in beta/limited release, but this message says updates, plural.
    Hopefully they are updating the ridiculously old Y tree!

Comment

There was no notice or release notes so more likely unplanned maintenance. And yes going back to the accepted Y tree would be nice.
      Last edited by mattm; 1 July 2014, 10:53 AM. Reason: splelign

Comment

Originally posted by mattm View Post
        There was no notice or release notes so more likely unplanned maintenance. And yes going back to the accepted Y tree would be nice.
        I'd just like them to include DF27 and L617.

Comment

The front page is up but the login still goes to the message.

Comment

It's up now but I don't see anything new.

Comment

Originally posted by mattm View Post
              It's up now but I don't see anything new.
              Not sure if this has been previously fixed but go to: Big Y Results>Matching

When you chose the Novel Variants from the drop down I no longer get the eternal spinning wheel, I can actually view them

So more like fixes than additional features?

Comment

Hi all, we posted an announcement on Facebook, but I didn't post on the forums since I assumed the forums would be offline during the maintenance too. I may have assumed wrong on that, sorry

There was scheduled maintenance this morning to perform some internal server maintenance, and that affected the websites. Everything should definitely be back up, though. If you're still having trouble accessing the site, please try going to our homepage (www.familytreedna.com) and make sure you aren't just refreshing a static maintenance page.

The maintenance page does say there will be exciting new updates, but it's just a default message. I've suggested to engineering and management that we change this message so that customers aren't going around looking for new stuff when we're not actually making visible changes to the website.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                  Hi all, we posted an announcement on Facebook, but I didn't post on the forums since I assumed the forums would be offline during the maintenance too. I may have assumed wrong on that, sorry

There was scheduled maintenance this morning to perform some internal server maintenance, and that affected the websites. Everything should definitely be back up, though. If you're still having trouble accessing the site, please try going to our homepage (www.familytreedna.com) and make sure you aren't just refreshing a static maintenance page.

The maintenance page does say there will be exciting new updates, but it's just a default message. I've suggested to engineering and management that we change this message so that customers aren't going around looking for new stuff when we're not actually making visible changes to the website.

Elise
                  Thanks for the update, your "maintenance" seems to have fixed my spinning wheel issue on my Big Y matches, so all good.

Comment

Whilst I am one of those who saw your message on facebook I must say that I find it unprofessional of FTDNA not to post advance warning on the website before doing maintenance. You cannot assume that all users are on the forum or facebook. Scheduled maintenance should be flagged on the site itself.

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                      .... I must say that I find it unprofessional of FTDNA not to post advance warning on the website before doing maintenance. You cannot assume that all users are on the forum or facebook. Scheduled maintenance should be flagged on the site itself.
                      +1

This is website maintenance 101. It's very bad practice for any corporation with customers.

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                        Whilst I am one of those who saw your message on facebook I must say that I find it unprofessional of FTDNA not to post advance warning on the website before doing maintenance. You cannot assume that all users are on the forum or facebook. Scheduled maintenance should be flagged on the site itself.
                        I would agree there.

Comment

Having a website down for a part of or a full day is not the end of the world.

I was imagining a modification to the Halopgroup tree as the final result of the maintenance to the site, as a secret surprise from FTDNA. No worries though, I'm sure that such a modification will materialize in the not to distant future.

Comment

Taking the website down for maintenance is a normal activity and as you say not the end of the world. The frustrations that are voiced here are because FTDNA do not have good routines for advising users of scheduled maintenance.

Comment

I guess that is why we can't log on this morning...must be maintenance...????

Comment

Working...
                              X