Genetic Genealogy Wish List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Genealogy Wish List

Did you ever sit down and write out your genetic genealogy wish list?

I decided to make an attempt at it today thinking it would help me focus my efforts and $ on what I want most. All I really learned is that I'll never finish that list in my lifetime (and I'm not all that old).

Things to do. Don't want to even think about listing what I want to accomplish.

Get my gedmatch matches who tested on Ancestry to give me their Ancestry ID's.

Get my gedmatch matches who tested on 23andMe and aren't sharing to share.

Convince some known matches (2nd and 3rd cousins) who tested on Ancestry to upload to gedmatch and/or transfer autosomal tests to FTDNA.

Find direct male line descendant of my Howard line to take a Y test. This is because we have a break in the line and people have varying ideas of where to go from there.

Find a direct male line descendant of my father's father's father's (probably) step father's family to take a Y dna test. I'd like to rule him out completely as the father and since my dad has a very rare haplogroup that can be identified with the cheapest test (mostly), it should be easy if I can find someone.

Convince my mother's half-sister's daughter (older than my mother) to upload to gedmatch or transfer to FTDNA. She tested on Ancestry, so I can't use her info to triangulate matches to see which of my mother's parents people are related on. I've asked, but didn't really get any response.

Get my father's brother to do an autosomal test. One already did it and I haven't asked the other.

Get one (or more) of my mother's siblings to do an autosomal test.

Get my mother's father's brother's son to test. Chicken to ask, but he's probably do it.

Test my father's mother's (much) younger brother. He's agreed in theory. I just need to follow through.

Scan, type up, share, and protect an old family reunion book from 1945 to 1960. Book contains a (fairly) complete handwritten family tree from my paternal great-great grandparents and all of their descendants.

Download and organize source documents and photos I've found online.

Learn more and document my grandfather's WWII time on Tinian Island.

Then, of course there's the whole get gedcoms from all matches and figure out where they fit part.

Map my chromosomes and figure out what part came from whom.

____

What do your lists look like? Anyone have any suggestions, stories, etc to help me with all this?
    ____

What I've accomplished:
    both parents and myself tested on 23andme, mother and me tested on Ancestry, father tested on FTDNA for mt y and at (results not back yet), uncle tested on FTDNA, transferred my Ancestry test to FTDNA, uploaded my tests and my parents' tests to gedmatch.

All of this data is organized in Genome Mate. Used tools such as 23++, 529andYou, AncestryDNAhelper, DNAGedcom, and Gedmatch. Have also used Pike's stuff to be sure my parents are related and to know where my dna test results don't match up correctly with my parents (everyone's tests have issues).

The vast majority of my documents have been organized, scanned, and uploaded to Ancestry and/or put on Google drive to share with anyone who wants the info.

Was able to help an adopted match (4th cousin) figure out who her mother was within 2 people (and she had the first name, so finished it).
    ____

Am I missing any cool tools? Important things to consider, etc?
    Last edited by TeresaJill; 18 June 2014, 07:37 PM.

The Holy Grail of my genealogical quest is to find out who my y-dna line immigrant ancestor was and where he came from.

I've learned a lot since since I started, thanks mostly to Family Tree DNA, and I think I'm close, but I haven't quite closed the deal yet.

It's been fun all the way, just the same!

Comment

I'm glad I made that list. It prompted me to get everything I have scanned and sent out to known relatives.
      Whew! Check that one off the list.

Steve - Yes, it's a fun trip.

Comment

Working...
      X