hmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmm

Right now, there are 342 active users, but only 114 are actually viewing threads. I wonder what the other 200+ people are doing? (And only 20 of them are identified as members...)

I too have noticed very large numbers of people viewing the forums in the last few (months, weeks?). A long time ago, I would notice dozens of people, now it it is hundreds. Not sure what is going on.

Comment

Well, TV is boring. And what could be more interesting than looking for a breakthrough in tracing your family tree? I've just been browsing around Ancestry and surname lists here at FTDNA. Then Googling people. But that long colonial period leading up to the Revolutionary War is frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
        Well, TV is boring. And what could be more interesting than looking for a breakthrough in tracing your family tree? I've just been browsing around Ancestry and surname lists here at FTDNA. Then Googling people. But that long colonial period leading up to the Revolutionary War is frustrating!
        Just when I think I may abandon my "Biles" line as connecting my maternal line, my imagination again comes to my rescue. The notorious "Coxe Affair", which you can Google, set the stage for my maternal line down south. But my maternal ancestress wasn't old enough yet to marry. So the initial disgruntled New Jerseyites who bolted and struck out for the wilderness did not include her. However, later people did (more or less) follow the initial group south, to include mine. But in my case, according to my fertile imagination, they did not go down some dusty bumpy wagon road; but by sea (coastal sailing ship) to Wilmington, NC (or alternate ports such as New Berne, NC or Charleston, SC). From there a short distance to Rockingham, etc. (Pee Dee River).
        Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 20 May 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
          I too have noticed very large numbers of people viewing the forums in the last few (months, weeks?). A long time ago, I would notice dozens of people, now it it is hundreds. Not sure what is going on.
          Spies, all of them.

Comment

Spys? ;-))))

I think a lot of people are reading the threads to learn after the big hype and selling offers about genetical ancestry research. Instead of watching TV...

But what I also recognized is, that the forum is now open to everybody. You can read now all threads without being a member, when you google a topic you will have open access. Perhaps that´s the increasing number?

Besides, I do not like to see my postings in google... Ok, there are a lot of Petras in the world, but I do not want, that everybody can read my postings in my elementary English ;-)))

Comment

@ gtc: Your were quicker in your posting... ;-)

Comment

A year ago, when one didn't need to sign in to read the forums either, there weren't hundreds of people online here at a time. IIRC, it was only closed access for a short time recently. Glad everyone thinks it funny. I don't think the place is 10x as popular as it was before. Something else is up. Not saying it is nefarious, it is just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln View Post
                  I don't think the place is 10x as popular as it was before. Something else is up. Not saying it is nefarious, it is just curious.
                  I agree that it's very unusual.

Comment

It could be due to some recent television coverage for FTDNA. There might be a lot of people kicking the tires. The Family Finder test price is still at a level that is affordable for people who are just curious...

Comment

I just discovered what might be part of the difference I see- I searched for something FTDNA related on Google, and a thread popped up. Not sure if this is new or not, but think it is. I have searched for years using kit numbers from Gedmatch on Google and would have thought a thread would have appeared before if nothing has changed.

Comment

Working...
                      X