Testing times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing times...

Hello all... Thank you in advance for any help!
    I am writing a fantasy/sci-fi book and have some questions about what can and cannot be determined by looking at DNA . My first, and more practical question: how long does it take to find something out when looking at a DNA sample. If you are a geneticist, with unlimited access to equipment, funds, time, etc How long would it take for you to tell, for instance, if two people are related, or if two err... creatures are related. (it's fantasy, after all... lol) I have spent a lot of time looking for this information online, but all I can find is how long a company would take to send your results back, not really how long the testing actually takes...
    I have many more questions but this one determines the flow of the story so it's kind of urgent...

Thanks again, I promise to thank you all extensively, if I ever get published.
    (Sorry if this is not the right place for this question, any pointers in the direction of information would be greatly appreciated too...)

Hi PixieDiva,

You have asked layer upon layer of questions in your post, and so let us separate them into two basic categories, that of the scientific analysis of a test and then of the individual interpretation of a test.

The scientific analysis/evaluation of a test is generally fairly predictable and that prediction is usually given before a person could submit a test sample. Yes, the scientists are familiar with any particular test and know about how long such test results could require to determine.

However, and beyond whatever information could be given by the scientists, the test results could be open to subjective evaluation which could involve moments, days, weeks, months or more of thought, research and then more thought.

What other questions might you have?

Comment

PixieDiva: Why don't YOU test, and live the resulting experience? Then you will be a much better writer, and be a part of the wave of the future - genetic genealogy.

Comment

Working...
      X