Early Bird "Sale"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Bird "Sale"

Let me begin by saying I have never had a problem with anything from FTDNA. When I transferred autosomal data in August 2017, it was added with no problem and when I took my Y111 test a year ago, the results were completed within the expected timeframe. Even the single SNP test I later took was done and the results added with no problem. So I have been and continue to be fairly happy with the company.

All that said, I have been looking forward to the annual sale hoping to order the Big Y-700 test. Well, that day has come and I'm a little disappointed about the pricing. Considering I have already taken tests and paid for them, I find it a little odd that the total cost ends up being more than it would be if I just ordered the Big Y-700 as a new customer. Here is what I mean: using today's sale pricing for the Y111 ($199) and then adding the sale price for the upgrade to Big Y-700 ($229) the total cost is $428. However, if one orders the Big Y-700 outright, the sale price is $379. So I feel like those of us who worked our way up, so to speak, are being punished by having to pay more overall - and especially since (normally) a new kit does not need to be sent to us.

It it understandable that those of us who have not taken the Big Y-700 test are encouraged to do so, and we are usually advised to wait for "the sale". But the upgrade is only $10 cheaper than it would cost normally, which doesn't seem like much of an incentive.

Okay, I feel better now (as I put away my soapbox).

Ed

When I paid for my brother's Y DNA test last year during a sale period (He had already done Y-67) I clicked on "Add Ons and Upgrades" at the top of the page and there was an an additional price reduction.

Comment

That's where I looked, and the upgrade from Y-111 to Big-Y700 is $229.00, which is the same price as what is being advertised in the email that has been sent out. I just find it odd that as much as the Big-Y is pushed (and for good reason) that there isn't more of an incentive during the sale periods.

Comment

You might wait to see what it is during the Black Friday Sale - the one probably starting right after or very soon after this one ends on Nov. 21 - that has recently been their best prices. But no guarantees.

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that one.

Comment

I might have hopped on board the upgrade idea a few days late. I'm seeing the $229 upgrade from Y-111 to Big y-700. Was it better a few days ago, or is that as good as it has been?

Comment

FTDNA has Black Friday sale through 11/30 so sign on and check your upgrade price. Anyhow the sale price for upgrading from Y-111 to Big Y usually only saves about $10 so maybe a sale is not worth worrying about.

Comment

That was my point when I started this thread - $10 doesn't seem like much of a sale; especially when considering the following cost comparison. The Y-700 test normally costs $449, but is only $379 during a sale. If a person already ordered the Y-111 test under normal pricing, the total cost of that plus the upgrade is $478 - $29 more than the price of the Y-700 test alone. Moreover, if a person ordered the Y-111 test during a sale ($199) and then upgraded the total cost is still $428. Now considering that a new kit does not normally need to be mailed, it just seems to me that those who have already ordered the Y-111 test shouldn't be paying more totally, than the sale price of a new Y-700 test.

Comment

It is actually quite reasonable that doing something in steps will cost more than doing it all at once.

Be grateful for small mercies -- that is a MUCH. smaller difference than if one did MyDNA Plus and then upgraded to Full.
                  That upgrade was usually almost the same price as if one had just ordered the Full directly.

Comment

Be grateful that the upgrade is cheaper than it used to be. 3-4 years ago, the upgrade from Y-111 to Big-Y was $500 and there was no option to go straight for Big-Y. If you were a first time tester, you thought that Y-111 was everything until the results for that came back and then the Big-Y upgrade showed up as being available.

But as loobster says, ordering all at once is cheaper than doing piece by piece makes sense. If you go to a tire shop and have the tires rotated and then go back and have the brakes replaced, it is more expensive than doing those together at the same time. Or going to an auto shop and having two things done that require the engine to be removed.

Comment

Look at the prices of everything around you. Be glad they have anything on sale.

Comment

Obviously my observation and opinion are incorrect. I shall take this under advisement in the future concerning posting.

Comment

Working...
                        X