misleading mtDNA advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misleading mtDNA advertisement

The current FTDNA mtDNA ad, as seen in an ad emailed to me, shows daughter to father to grandmother. Not exactly a matrilineal pattern.

The ad doesn't explicitly say daughter, father, grandmother but that is how I read it.

Skylar Anderson, 1984-
    Lawrence Anderson, 1954-
    Ruth Helen Anderson, 1929-2016

This ad was also shown in the recent DNA Day sales as well.

Misleading at best. Suggests you can track your paternal grandmother.

A individual can do some tracing of a paternal grandmother's mtDNA if they can get their father's mtDNA run as a man inherits his mother's mtDNA but he
    can't pass it on to his children. His children would get their mother's mtDNA.

Comment

The ad shows all three people have mtDNA, which is correct. It does not have a line connecting Skylar to Lawrence. In fact it doesn't show who any of the people received their mtDNA from.

Comment

Although I hadn't noticed it until mabrams pointed it out, I can see how the image could be interpreted as the three individuals being generations of the same family. They share the same surname, the dates given for each seem to be for three generations, and both Skylar and Lawrence show an "mt" tab above their images. Why does Ruth have a checkmark? It seems to indicate that she has the "Confirmed mtDNA Haplogroup" shown. The "mt" tabs for the others seems to imply that Skylar and Lawrence have done mtDNA testing (that is how it would be shown in a tree at FTDNA). So the image is confusing.

If FTDNA didn't intend for them to be seen as mother, son, and his daughter, they should have given them different names and/or birth years, so it would be clear they are not generations of one family. FTDNA needs to be careful about such things, since many people are new to DNA and may not understand the inheritance path of mtDNA.

I agree it would have been even more obvious if FTDNA had put a line between the generations to imply inheritance, but I still think it's misleading as it is.

Comment

Oh! I have little knowledge in detecting misleading mtDNA Advertisement. This is something I should work on. Good thing someone posted this.

Comment

mtdna males.PNG

another strange example...... Two males in an mtDNA ad.

Okay, its possible that they share a common female parent or grandparent or even a distant female ancestor from 1000s of years ago, but I still think its misleading.
            Last edited by mabrams; 18 May 2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Why do you think these are being advertised? Isn't these are supposed to be checked before publishing?

Comment

Working...
              X