Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Americans mtDNAkit sent UK to USA still in Chicago since Friday - normal or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Americans mtDNAkit sent UK to USA still in Chicago since Friday - normal or no?

My completed mtDNA sample sent from the UK showed as arrived in Chicago on Friday the 4th December.
    It states on USPS tracking
    In-transit
    Processed Through Facility

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
    Googling this people are saying it means it is awaiting customs clearance. Is that correct? Is this length of time normal or should I panic? Our customs clearance normally takes 24hours to 36 hrs max even with Covid-19

PS It has been sent International Parcel Tracked & Signed For. Supposed to be 5-7 days to the USA from here with this service. Sent on the 1st December

------------

Last edited by abiu; 9 December 2020, 09:33 AM.

"ISC Chicago" stands for "International Service Center, Chicago." This is the Chicago location where incoming mail to the U.S. from outside the country is processed after going through Customs, then sent on to the destination. The wording "In-transit" and "Processed Through Facility" should indicate that your package has passed through ISC Chicago and is now in transit via the USPS (United States Postal Service). But I would take it with a grain of salt, at least. There are complaints online about packages getting stuck at ISC Chicago.

Otherwise, if all goes well, packages are transported in containers, so individual packages won't be scanned until they reach the next destination. There may be more than one stop before your package reaches the Houston P.O. See "Where is my package?" on the USPS website, the last item in the table there, "In Transit." It sounds as if you are already doing the following, but if you have a USPS tracking number, you can continue to track your package here: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

If the package is in the USPS system and on its way to Houston, be aware that there may be a delay in Houston. The Houston Post Office has had a history of slow delivery to FTDNA at times. In the past, this was because when they use dedicated mailbags to collect mail going to FTDNA, they would wait until a bag was full to deliver it. I'm not sure if that has changed now or not. One hopes with the sales that FTDNA is having and has recently offered, that the FTDNA mailbags are getting full quickly, and being delivered to FTDNA promptly.

Add to all that the complications caused by the pandemic (more people are shipping items than usual, thus there is more work, but more personnel might be out with illness), and you will probably need to expect some delays. You will need to be patient until the package is "out for delivery," and actually noted as "delivered" to FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      "ISC Chicago" stands for "International Service Center, Chicago." This is the Chicago location where incoming mail to the U.S. from outside the country is processed after going through Customs, then sent on to the destination. The wording "In-transit" and "Processed Through Facility" should indicate that your package has passed through ISC Chicago and is now in transit via the USPS (United States Postal Service). But I would take it with a grain of salt, at least. There are complaints online about packages getting stuck at ISC Chicago.

Otherwise, if all goes well, packages are transported in containers, so individual packages won't be scanned until they reach the next destination. There may be more than one stop before your package reaches the Houston P.O. See "Where is my package?" on the USPS website, the last item in the table there, "In Transit." It sounds as if you are already doing the following, but if you have a USPS tracking number, you can continue to track your package here: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

If the package is in the USPS system and on its way to Houston, be aware that there may be a delay in Houston. The Houston Post Office has had a history of slow delivery to FTDNA at times. In the past, this was because when they use dedicated mailbags to collect mail going to FTDNA, they would wait until a bag was full to deliver it. I'm not sure if that has changed now or not. One hopes with the sales that FTDNA is having and has recently offered, that the FTDNA mailbags are getting full quickly, and being delivered to FTDNA promptly.

Add to all that the complications caused by the pandemic (more people are shipping items than usual, thus there is more work, but more personnel might be out with illness), and you will probably need to expect some delays. You will need to be patient until the package is "out for delivery," and actually noted as "delivered" to FTDNA.
      Thank you I'm
      terrified it will will be sent back or lost. It is in the USPS system & I am tracking it on the USPS web site. I purposely used the box it came in (rather than just the bubble wrap envelope, to make it harder for them to lose.)
      Last edited by abiu; 9 December 2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I live in the US. Last month I sent a 2-page form to Canada, regular letter rate. It took 3 weeks for them to receive.

Since January 2020, I have had 51 orders delivered from on-line purchases from various delivery services. Not one problem EVER, except USPS (United States Postal Service). Anything you mail using them, be sure it is waterproof. My experience last month: They delivered 3 very valuable and irreplaceable books (at the price I paid). They put them in a misting rain, turning to a hard rain in front of the closed garage door which had no overhang. They could easily have walked 20 steps more to my large covered front porch. Duh........ We happened to see them do the delivery and retrieved before getting soaked.

Other times, they have also put packages in front of the closed garage door. I could easily have run over them, not seeing them when backing out. Double duh.......

My point is waterproof your packages which will be circulated in the US when using USPS. Better still, just AVOID USPS.

There are many people with very high IQs; but some of them do NOT have basic common sense; and they do not think outside the box.

Sorry, if this is TMI (too much information).
        Last edited by Biblioteque; 9 December 2020, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biblioteque View Post
          I live in the US. Last month I sent a 2-page form to Canada, regular letter rate. It took 3 weeks for them to receive.

Since January 2020, I have had 51 orders delivered from on-line purchases from various delivery services. Not one problem EVER, except USPS (United States Postal Service). Anything you mail using them, be sure it is waterproof. My experience last month: They delivered 3 very valuable and irreplaceable books (at the price I paid). They put them in a misting rain, turning to a hard rain in front of the closed garage door which had no overhang. They could easily have walked 20 steps more to my large covered front porch. Duh........ We happened to see them do the delivery and retrieved before getting soaked.

Other times, they have also put packages in front of the closed garage door. I could easily have run over them, not seeing them when backing out. Double duh.......

My point is waterproof your packages which will be circulated in the US when using USPS. Better still, just AVOID USPS.

There are many people with very high IQs; but some of them do NOT have basic common sense; and they do not think outside the box.

Sorry, if this is TMI (too much information).
          Hi
          They will need a signature & they are delivering to a business (FTDNA) so it should be safe. And the box is wrapped in the plastic bag it came in & and then taped to feck. So absolutely waterproof! I hope Three weeks blimey if I send something to Germany or Ireland I can get it there in a few days or next day if it goes express. It is easy to forget how vast North America is. My country is tiny in comparison. First class letters or parcels usually arrive next day
          Last edited by abiu; 10 December 2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I live in the UK, I sent a YDNA kit too, it took three weeks once it was in Chicago, for what appeared to be a day's drive in a car. It did get there safely though if that's any consolation.

Comment

And, I noted yesterday in the NY Times, the distribution of the Covid vaccine in the US has been given primarily to FedEx and UPS, and no mention of USPS.

Comment

I googled mapped the distance from Chicago while I was waiting for my kit to arrive at its destination, didn't really seem that far, and I did think the US would have been quicker. However, once it was received it was dealt with quite quickly I think. Putting it into perspective, I waited three weeks for printer ink I ordered from a store about fifteen minutes away from where I live and that took three weeks by Royal Mail. It was during lockdown though, but even now I'm still waiting for items ordered two weeks ago which are being sent by Royal Mail, so they are comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                  I live in the UK, I sent a YDNA kit too, it took three weeks once it was in Chicago, for what appeared to be a day's drive in a car. It did get there safely though if that's any consolation.
                  At least they don't send it RMS anymore. Think of all the undelivered mail sitting at the bottom of the ocean. It's a real tragedy.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. It arrived at FTDNA this week & after convincing them that they had signed for it days earlier it finally got sent for processing & I have a batch number (whatever help that is to me)

Comment

Working...
                    X