Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

23andme culling matches starting with chip v5 - download your aggregate data now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23andme culling matches starting with chip v5 - download your aggregate data now!

Without warning us 23andme have & are culling match numbers down to a maximum of 1500 starting with chip v5, some people have had a couple of thousand removed. I have had about 408 removed, bringing me down to 1500. Depending on your chip you may if you download your aggregate data from the bottom of your dna matches page NOW still have access to them. If you wait you won't.

Articles about it here
    https://www.dataminingdna.com/23andm...t-impacts-you/

https://dna-explained.com/2020/10/08/23andme-changes-download-matches-now-or-lose-many/

If I could upload this aggregate data to FTDNA to use the chromosome browser I would happily pay for the service! Please FTDNA let us upload this here

N.B in order to regain access to your matches you have to live in the USA & pay a monthly subscription to 23andme. You also can no longer search ancestral names.

23andme is now pretty much useless you are American, on chip v5 & willing/able to pay them a subscription to regain the now removed features
    Last edited by abiu; 21 November 2020, 02:58 AM.

Then 23andThem added some of the matches back. I don't remember the number I had before they made their change, but I did drop to 1500, now I'm at 1632. When I get a new match I lose an old match. I will not upgrade and I will not pay a subscription fee to 23andThem.

Comment

abiu
      • there is no monthly subscription for 23andMe, only yearly subscription and is $29 at the moment
      • it was 23andme who introduced autosomal testing into the market (Ancestry made it popular). This is one of the reasons why 23andme does worth respect
      • 1500 matches are the top matches, only very few people do actually make any use of distant cousins and it is not an issue for the average user
      • R Estes with her blog dna-explained.com, she is well known to be strongly biased against 23andme (maybe because 23andme does not invite her to conferences like myheritage does?). Her views about 23andme and yfull were always biased, not fair and appalling to say at least (some of her readers left comments that they deleted their 23andme results after reading her blog - and this is a sign of how damaging her blog can be for the genealogy ecosystem)
      • with 23andme you can see the haplogroup of your matches for a reasonable price, all the other vendors (including Ancestry and MyHeritage) can make it visible if they want. Just because 23andme is not perfect, does not means that it is not valuable, useful and helpful
      Last edited by gattaca; 22 November 2020, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gattaca View Post
        abiu
        • there is no monthly subscription for 23andMe, only yearly subscription and is $29 at the moment
        • it was 23andme who introduced autosomal testing into the market (Ancestry made it popular). This is one of the reasons why 23andme does worth respect
        • 1500 matches are the top matches, only very few people do actually make any use of distant cousins and it is not an issue for the average user
        • R Estes with her blog dna-explained.com, she is well known to be strongly biased against 23andme (maybe because 23andme does not invite her to conferences like myheritage does?). Her views about 23andme and yfull were always biased, not fair and appalling to say at least
        • with 23andme you can see the haplogroup of your matches for a reasonable price, all the other vendors (including Ancestry and MyHeritage) can make it visible if they want. Just because 23andme is not perfect, does not means that it is not valuable, useful and helpful
        The issue is the subscription is for Americans only & only those on chip v5.
        Last edited by abiu; 22 November 2020, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
          Then 23andThem added some of the matches back. I don't remember the number I had before they made their change, but I did drop to 1500, now I'm at 1632. When I get a new match I lose an old match. I will not upgrade and I will not pay a subscription fee to 23andThem.
          Totally agree I'm not giving them more money for something they have removed. Besides which as a non American I don't even get that option. The killer for me though is the removal of ancestral name search

Comment

Working...
          X