Lossing matches by the thousands over at Ancesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lossing matches by the thousands over at Ancesty

I was just curious to see if anyone else has experienced a loss of DNA matches over at Ancestry. I dropped from over 120,000 to 67,543. Some of those missing matches I had actually made contact with on segments of our trees. Now their information is all gone. Ack!

They announced over a month ago that they were eliminating matches less than 8 cM. They were supposed to keep matches that you have messaged with, assigned to a group, or added a note for though.

Comment

Thanks, I've just gotten back into doing genealogy and must have missed the announcement. I'm going to miss all those matches as I was looking forward to seeing if I could find any more really distant relatives through them. I hope I'd messaged or made some note on all the files that I had gone through at that level. Thanks again.

Comment

keigh, I had 96,385, and now have 55,374.

A few months back, Krista Cowan with Ancestry said in a webinar that the average person at Ancestry had 55,000 matches; so guess that average has now been cut significantly.
        Last edited by Biblioteque; 3 September 2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I made sure to put at least the ones with common ancestors into a group.

Comment

GregK, yes, I starred, and retained 501 matches 6-7.9 cMs. ALL of these had TREE matches. I was able to use the feature in each tree to search back in time to find a CA. This is my most used feature there.

My personal preference is to go no further back than ~1680 to call it a match.
            Last edited by Biblioteque; 3 September 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I have a high percentage loss of matches, down 65.5%. My number of matches dropped from 21,225 to 7,319 (after subtracting out the 555 small matches I saved in Groups).

Comment

I was able to save all of my 6 and 7 cM matches, which totaled 62% of all my matches at Ancestry. The script that Roberta Estes featured in one of her blog posts about the purge at Ancestry really helped to get that job done!

I do think that most people will see about 35 to 65% reduction in their matches due to the 6 & 7 cM match deletion. Most of our matches had been at 10 cM and below at Ancestry (counting in the 6 and 7 cM matches). I calculated my percentage for 10 cM and below, and it was 90% of my total matches. I haven't had time to see if there are ways to calculate the same at other sites with DNA matches.

Comment

I'm not personally bothered by the change at Ancestry. Many of those now deleted that were in my results provided no family information because they didn't have it for beyond their parental names. Unless you have built an extensive multi-level tree of your own discovering where the match occurred is just about impossible. I was more troubled by the decision several years ago at 23andme to remove results marked "Anonymous" ... even when they were strongly linked to me and over time for which I was able to connect.

Comment

Ancestry customers actually had 2 months warning that the matches below 8cM were going to go away. It was a 1 month warning but people complained & they gave us an extra month until Sept 1. You had to either star a match, put a match in a group, or attach a message to the match - in order to keep that match. The warning was a banner announcement across the top of the page when you went to your dna matches. The news also got out on the Ancestry forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X