Are the labs shut down??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the labs shut down??

Just wondering if any lab work is being done? I have 13 kits which I administer and another kit I have access to but don't administer. There have been no new matches in any of these kits in six days. I've had most of these kits for five to seven years and this has never happened before. Has lab work been discontinued this last week?

According to a thread on Anthrogenica about the (hopefully soon) release of myOrigins 3.0, a user messaged FTDNA this very question. The answer was that the lab work is continuing on as normal with some extra safety measures, while IT employees and "non-essentials" are working remotely from home. They said things should be running at pretty much the same pace as usual.

I envy you that your kits get matches that frequently at all. I've done every test, and no close matches in any category yet.

Comment

I had a notification by email just today of an mtDNA match for one of the kits I administer, so there's one data point as evidence that matches are still being produced.

I don't know the actual process for finding and posting new matches, but would think it could be done without a human being present in the FTDNA offices, once the kit has been processed in their lab and the raw data file produced. I imagine it is then compared via a computer process to other raw data files, and when a match is found it is then automated to some degree to be shown on the matches' lists. This is all conjecture on my part.

Also, the lab workers already work under strict conditions so as not to contaminate the samples, so at least some lab workers may still be on site working to process new kits coming in. If less than full staff, then perhaps fewer new kits are being processed, thus affecting the amount of new matches.

But I'm not aware of FTDNA, or the other companies, having announced any restriction for either processing new kits, or producing new matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
        Just wondering if any lab work is being done? I have 13 kits which I administer and another kit I have access to but don't administer. There have been no new matches in any of these kits in six days. I've had most of these kits for five to seven years and this has never happened before. Has lab work been discontinued this last week?
        Normally, I get at least two matches every day on each of my kits. Of course, most of these are no closer than 4th cousins but every match is helpful especially using 'in common with' and the chromosome browser. This is especially true if the person has a tree or I can locate a tree for them on another site ie Ancestry or Wiki. My kits have between 6,000 - 8,000 matches with many 2nd and 3rd cousin matches. There are a few 1st cousin matches but I already know these particular cousins.

Now, it's been a week with no matches even in the 5th to 8th cousin category .
        Last edited by Tenn4ever; 22nd May 2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Hmm. . . I admit I do not check all of the kits I manage each day, or even some of them. But, I just checked all 13 kits, filtering them each by "Match Date" to view the most recent, and see that 11 have not had any matches since May 15th. One kit had the last match on May 14, another on May 8. So you are definitely on to something, as far as I'm concerned! Very strange.

Comment

My guess, the slowdown more likely due to folks feeling this is not the right moment to order a package not essential. Wait till it is safer to interact with others, bring into one's home anything others have touched, etc.
            Know I avoided asking anyone to test from sometime in March thru now specifically due to the pandemic and the response to it.

Comment

Remember, it was recently reported that 23andMe and Ancestry had large layoffs because of lack of business.

As a project admin, I just checked the 'Received Lab Results' report for one of my projects and saw new results were posted on May 21 and May 22.

Comment

Some matches started coming in today

Comment

Hi, I don't know if this is helpful, but my mtdna got batched on 4/6 and I got results on 5/4. My FF got batched on 5/5 and I haven't gotten the results yet. I was lurking around here to see if others were waiting. Hopefully, results and matches will post soon!

Comment

I administer more than 30 and get Y matches nearly every day, but most are 12- and 25-markers, with one 111 about a week ago. I pay little attention to mtDNA but I am certain I got a personal match in the last few weeks.

Comment

A new mtDNA match yesterday and several new Family Finder matches. I don't think the lab is shut down.

Comment

Not sure if this is helpful but I got new matched for my Mtdna on 05/21. I am waiting on the FF test which I just saw an update this morning (on my target date ) that it has been delayed. I called FT and they said they need to reach out to quality assurance and then get back to me. I am batch 1088

Comment

Working...
                        X