Kits sent overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kits sent overseas

Are we able to send kits to the UK? Is someone who lives in the UK able to order a kit? I've looked everywhere for this information and am unable to find it.

I think the DNA Geek keeps her chart up to date, in her blog post "Genealogical DNA Testing Around the Globe."

FTDNA offers testing to most countries, including the UK; if you click on the question "Does FamilyTreeDNA Ship Internationally?" on FTDNA's page in the Learning Center, "Shipping DNA Tests Worldwide," it says:
    Yes, we ship kits to most international locations. Standard shipping is by DHL International. There are some countries where shipping requires special processing. These countries are Brazil, Japan, Mexico, Russia, and Saudi Arabia. There are two countries, Sudan and Iran, whose customs restrictions prevent us from shipping to them. Due to the wide range of international postage costs, international shipments do not include return postage.

Comment

Hello folks. Someone knows how is the shipping service in these days of coronavirus? It's working normally? It's DHL better than USPS?

I want to order an autosomal kit for my mother, but in the past i had problems with the shipping. I'm from Costa Rica and the last time, with USPS, the kit never came so i had to pay more to use the fedex service expediting shipping. Now it looks like they are using DHL and i really don't want to pay for another extra shipping (last time i paid the kit + the regular shipping then the expediting shipping around 90$ and then the fedex service to send the kit back around 70% for a total of: 240$ lol)

Comment

You may also want to check and see if there are any restrictions in Costa Rica for international mail right now, with the COVID-19 situation. I see on the U.S. Post Office website that there are Temporary Service Suspensions to quite a list of countries, including Costa Rica, so it may be the same in other places. I'm not sure how this affects DHL. You may be able to receive the kit, but then have to wait to ship it back when things are more normal again.

IF shipping is possible these days, the FTDNA Learning Center shows that DHL is the standard shipping for international locations. See https://learn.familytreedna.com/ftdn...-destinations/

Under the question on that page, "Does FamilyTreeDNA ship internationally?," it further states:
        Due to the wide range of international postage costs, international shipments do not include return postage.
        Also check the question on the same page, "How much does standard international shipping at FamilyTreeDNA cost?" which shows for standard DHL shipping to most countries, the cost would be $9.95 for the first kit, plus $4.95 per additional kit, if added.

You may want to confirm that is true for Costa Rica by contacting FTDNA. Do you have a need for expedited shipping in this case? If not, use the most affordable option to return the kit.

If your mother also lives in Costa Rica, can you use the postal system in Costa Rica to mail the kit back to FTDNA, and save some money over using Fedex (even with extra postage for international destination)? I would advise paying for tracking, for whatever method you use to mail the kit back, so you can keep track of the progress.

FTDNA just started their "DNA Day" sale, so perhaps saving on the cost of a test might help offset some of the cost of shipping back to FTDNA.
        Last edited by KATM; 20 April 2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          You may also want to check and see if there are any restrictions in Costa Rica for international mail right now, with the COVID-19 situation. I see on the U.S. Post Office website that there are Temporary Service Suspensions to quite a list of countries, including Costa Rica, so it may be the same in other places. I'm not sure how this affects DHL. You may be able to receive the kit, but then have to wait to ship it back when things are more normal again.

IF shipping is possible these days, the FTDNA Learning Center shows that DHL is the standard shipping for international locations. See https://learn.familytreedna.com/ftdn...-destinations/

Under the question on that page, "Does FamilyTreeDNA ship internationally?," it further states:

Also check the question on the same page, "How much does standard international shipping at FamilyTreeDNA cost?" which shows for standard DHL shipping to most countries, the cost would be $9.95 for the first kit, plus $4.95 per additional kit, if added.

You may want to confirm that is true for Costa Rica by contacting FTDNA. Do you have a need for expedited shipping in this case? If not, use the most affordable option to return the kit.

If your mother also lives in Costa Rica, can you use the postal system in Costa Rica to mail the kit back to FTDNA, and save some money over using Fedex (even with extra postage for international destination)? I would advise paying for tracking, for whatever method you use to mail the kit back, so you can keep track of the progress.

FTDNA just started their "DNA Day" sale, so perhaps saving on the cost of a test might help offset some of the cost of shipping back to FTDNA.
          Thanks for you advice KATM! I received an answer from FTDNA a couple of minutes ago. So basically, they would send me the kit by DHL but once the package is inside the country, would be transferred to the local postal service (and it's terrible!). But here in Costa Rica we have DHL too, so i have a little hope that they will transfer the package to the local DHL service. I asked too the local DHL and they are working normally.

Comment

That sounds good! Can you just go directly to DHL and send it yourself? It's great that DHL is working normally. I hope the cost to mail it to FTDNA will not be as much as your earlier experience. Don't forget to get a tracking number.

And be aware that there have been times in the past when the Houston post office that services FTDNA will mark a package as being delivered to FTDNA, but in reality it is in a bag in the post office. Sometimes that post office wait to fill the bag before delivering it to FTDNA, which causes a delay. To check if FTDNA has received the kit, you can log into the kit for your mother, hover over her name in the upper right, and select "Order History" from the drop menu. There, you can see if the kit has been received, and when it has been assigned a batch number.

Comment

I'm from the UK and ordered direct, however the kit came (looked like it was mailed from Germany) missing the swabs, so I emailed for another, which was sent from Texas. That took over two weeks to arrive, so I did the sample immediately and returned it, small parcel post as advised, that took another two weeks + , from my posting it to showing as received on my account. Another two weeks plus before being analysed, but was completed well before the expected date. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                I'm from the UK and ordered direct, however the kit came (looked like it was mailed from Germany) missing the swabs, so I emailed for another, which was sent from Texas. That took over two weeks to arrive, so I did the sample immediately and returned it, small parcel post as advised, that took another two weeks + , from my posting it to showing as received on my account. Another two weeks plus before being analysed, but was completed well before the expected date. Hope this helps.
                I have a cousin who lives in the U.K. His kit took two weeks to arrive from Texas (the lab is in Houston). I think that mail time is about normal for overseas. He mailed it back Immediately . It's been about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post

I have a cousin who lives in the U.K. His kit took two weeks to arrive from Texas (the lab is in Houston). I think that mail time is about normal for overseas. He mailed it back Immediately . It's been about a week.
                  Just heard from my cousin in the U.K. He just found out that his kit has been sitting in the USPS depot for a week. Does anyone know if this is normal? Will they eventually mail it on to Houston?

Comment

The USPS Depot where?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                      The USPS Depot where?
                      Ooops. Chicago.

Comment

I think that's the route that my kit took, I was quite surprised really that it didn't go direct to Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                          I think that's the route that my kit took, I was quite surprised really that it didn't go direct to Texas.
                          Do you know if it sat in Chicago for awhile? After you mailed it from the UK how long before Houston received it?

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't track it when I sent it back to Texas, but when they sent it to me originally it was tracked. I was able to follow it from Texas and I have to say it was quite a while before it left Chicago for the UK. It was two weeks or a little more when I sent it back before it was registered as received at Texas, I think I may have put a post on the forum regarding this.

Comment

Working...
                            X