Once again, nobody at FTDNA is watching for SPAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again, nobody at FTDNA is watching for SPAM

The problem of bogus posts that are reported as spam by customers has still not been solved. The boards are now full of a new batch of attempts to sell counterfeit documents, and those message have been reported. Response should be immediate. FTDNA urgently needs a process that immediately flags reports of spam and other abuse on the message forums, and a clear method for getting rid of the offending posts. Now!

Agreed. They need to have and keep a moderator at all times. The previous known moderator or FTDNA representative in the forums (Darren) was very good, but he is no longer in the job. At the very least, there should be some FTDNA employee(s) (not a volunteer forum member/FTDNA customer) who will quickly reply to reports of spam and other abuses in the forums.

It is particularly irksome when you log in and click on "new topics," only to see the long list of spam posts. The only way to remove them from the "new topic" list is to click on each one, so it registers as "read." The forum should have a button or other way to select posts to mark as "read," so they won't continue to appear in the new topic list.

Comment

I don't think anyone at FTDNA looks at these forums at all. I reported a spam post a few days ago and it's still posted. I belong to some forums which are completely run by volunteers and when spam is reported it's handled almost immediately or at least within a few hours.

Comment

FTDNA management just doesn't care or else something would have been done by now.

My simple request from 8 January 2020 is clearly too difficult to handle.

"A responsible member of the FTDNA staff needs to read the message forums every day and clean out the SPAM."

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
          I don't think anyone at FTDNA looks at these forums at all.
          If it cared about the forums they wouldn't be tucked away where nobody who doesn't already have the map can find them.

Comment

From FTDNA - The best place to report Forum issues is through the Contact Form https://www.familytreedna.com/contact and choose FTDNA Forums from the dropdown menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              From FTDNA - The best place to report Forum issues is through the Contact Form https://www.familytreedna.com/contact and choose FTDNA Forums from the dropdown menu.
              Jim, then why is the 'flag' feature on the posts with the option to report spam. However, will keep in mind what you posted.

Comment

Jim, then why is the 'flag' feature on the posts with the option to report spam.
                I suspect it's because the only person who would monitor the flags would be a moderator, which they apparently don't have. Probably no employees visit the forum on any sort of regular basis.

Comment

Jim, then why is the 'flag' feature on the posts with the option to report spam. However, will keep in mind what you posted.
                  Does the 'Flag' feature actually work? I've never tried it. I'll flag this message as a test once I post it.

The offending messages appear to be gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    Does the 'Flag' feature actually work? I've never tried it. I'll flag this message as a test once I post it.
                    The system said my report had been sent.

Comment

We have to presume that somebody at FTDNA is in charge of customer support, whether that's an individual or some autonomous collective. And that somebody NEEDS a master console for customer support: an online program, always active, that logs all activity, including "flagged" messages as well as all other identifiable customer contacts. In other words, customer support management software that displays key metrics, generates periodic and custom reports, and provides direct access to all parts of the customer support operation. It sure looks like this isn't happening! The potential is there for a customer support operation that increases the effectiveness and reputation of the entire corporation. I don't think ad hoc customer support is sufficient at this stage in the development of the corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
                        The potential is there for a customer support operation that increases the effectiveness and reputation of the entire corporation. I don't think ad hoc customer support is sufficient at this stage in the development of the corporation.
                        I quoted the part of your post that really stands out to me. I think this affects the reputation of the corporation. And also " I don't think ad hoc customer support is sufficient at this stage in the development of the corporation". FTDNA has been around long enough to have developed a good customer support system but they haven't. The forums seem like a 'carrot' thrown to the customers to make them think someone is listening. However, no finances for support are being put into the forums. One of three reasons: no money to put into the forum management; no real interest in their customers or greed. So, which is it ?

The forums section 'grumbles' should be monitored and not necessarily being responded to continuously but if there is a preponderance of the same complaints these should be taken to the proper departments to be handled. There should also be a couple of DNA technical experts to address some of the questions.

Also, email customer service and phone customer service are not up to par with other companies. Many questions and/or complaints are only answered on a very preliminary basis and then never followed up on with an appropriate response.

Comment

Working...
                        X