Trees not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trees not working

It's not possible to view trees right now. Even when it was working, the search functions were broken. As it stands right now, I would not recommend FTDNA Family Finder to anyone. I'm wondering how much longer this company can stay in business with the current abysmal website/database functionality. FTDNA is falling behind while Ancestry.com is regularly improving their website. i think the best bet for FTDNA is for some other company to buy them out and change the management.

I agree, I have the same experience. There are not enough resources dedicated to the site.

Comment

I have been trying to upload a gedcom file for three days, impossible.

Comment

Make that 4 days... Http failure response for https://treeapi.familytreedna.com/ap...ortGedcomFile: 0 Unknown Error

Clearly there is a problem, any chance of an update from FTDNA?

Comment

I was able to see my tree tonight (7 Jan.). I did not try to make any changes, and it's late, but at least trees are viewable in two accounts I manage. This was not the case for me yesterday, and earlier today.

Comment

Yes the Tree site is responding a little better, however still can't get a gedcom to 'stick'. Uploads, then 'job in progress' forever..then eventually.. 'something went wrong!' I have tried 2 different files.
            Last edited by silverhammernz; 8 January 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I have finally managed to upload a gedcom file successfully.

Comment

Hi
                So nice to get to chat. First time.

I am absolutely fed up with the lack of support given since the Family Tree revamp. FTDNA said all problems would be solved by November 30, 2019 and I was expecting a few problems, but I have contacted the technical assistance people at least 5 times and always get the standard response without my problem being fixed! As a result of the FTDNA Family Tree revamp I was left with several problems and have fixed all but one. Time and time again I ask for this to be fixed that in the end, in my last communication, I asked if I was writing to a computer and signed off with a derogatory Australian salute. The Icons have frozen and I am unable to do a relationship link with a second cousin whom previously was matched.

It bemuses me that FTDNA are trying to get new memberships. I purchased the FTDNA for a cousin as a Christmas present and recommenced it to another cousin, whom on my recommendation she also bought FTDNA. I am sorry I did this. It is futile contacting FTDNA.

Comment

I have been having problems loading my tree ever since last year when I bought the BigY-700, mtFull Sequence, Autosomnal Transfer Unlock Test and DNA tests as gifts for my relatives. I have called the number and spoke to the IT department many times. They still have not resolved the issue. In the past, after they unfreeze my .GED tree, they ask me to try loading it again. Usually, freezes again and then I have to wait all over again just for them to do a reset. It can take up to 3 weeks for them to work on it each time. I can't believe I have spent over $600 on different DNA tests. Very frustrating.

Comment

Since getting the testing done in 2015 I have only had one meaningful match. In spite of having many YDNA matches that share my surname, the only meaningful match is with one of my father's maternal first cousins who I already knew about. I have many apparent relatives who have taken the test, but much too far back for a connection to be made.

Comment

I've pretty much given up even trying to look at trees here at FTDNA. I put a barebones tree on quite awhile ago, but haven't updated anything as the program is just too difficult to use. My tree at Ancestry is much easier to deal with so that's what I use. I've noticed that most of my matches here don't have trees indicated. If a tree is shown, it is simply the owner of the tree as a single entry. Oh, well.

Comment

I have noticed the same problem with Ancestry. The majority of my matches don't have trees. If they have trees the majority of the trees are worthless - a tree claiming to have 10 people, but all of them are private.

Comment

The one thing I like about Ancestry is that their tree system is easy to use so if someone does have a bit of information, I can do a quick check. Even if they don't have a tree, by looking at shared matches, I might be able to place them on a branch of my tree.

I just went on Ancestry and looked at my un-viewed matches. The 1st one was a new match saying that she was about a 3rd cousin level. Her tree was about 17 people and Ancestry went so far as to say that we had a common ancestor. I took a look at the info Ancestry was using and her tree, and said "Yep that's our common ancestor." I wrote her a message and told her how we were connected and that she'd find the information back to our common ancestor on my tree. All she had was one of my great grandaunts showing on her tree with no parents listed. She was my great grandmother's sister. I've gathered all the records that shows her line coming down to her father. I just can't do the same with the FTDNA tree.

Comment

The latest bug when clicking to view trees:

"Error: An unhandled error occurred.
                            Please try again"

How frustrating!

For those experiencing with failed Gedcom uploads, try cleaning up the file before upload (do this on a copy). It worked for me: Edit the copy of the Gedcom (carefully) with a text editor, e.g. TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (MS):
                            ​​​​​​a) Remove apostrophes and any other weird characters in forenames and surnames (e.g. ____, [..] )
                            b) If your GEDCOM is from Family Tree Maker and you have coordinates for places, remove all those lines from the end of the GEDCOM,. be careful to leave the last line "0 TRLR"

The only other thing I have tried but may not be as necessary, is removing “Abt", "Bef", "Aft", "Bet." from dates.

Comment

Originally posted by John-DownUnder View Post

The only other thing I have tried but may not be as necessary, is removing “Abt", "Bef", "Aft", "Bet." from dates.
                              I don't use other family trees when adding information on Ancestry.com, but all that stuff still seems to end up on my tree anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X