Triangulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triangulation

FamilyTreeDNA needs a more direct triangulation tool. The Matrix is useful for determining how your matches match each other, but not for how each of them match yourself. I find it not as direct as Gedmatch. Perhaps others have a different opinion and can utilize the matching tools more efficiently.

I don't understand why FTDNA doesn't look at how MyHeritage does DNA match results.

Triangulation on a match is a one click event.

And MyHeritage shows how much DNA your match shares with their in common matches.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
      And MyHeritage shows how much DNA your match shares with their in common matches.
      Which can probably be seen as a Privacy invasion.

Comment

Yes, just the fact that I share DNA with other people can be seen as a Privacy invasion.

Ancestry sees a chromosome browser as a Privacy invasion.

Here at FTDNA by looking at family trees I know match A and B are sisters and match C is their first cousin. By working with the information available have I committed a Privacy invasion?

To me private information is my home address, my phone number, my bank account number and similar. By taking a DNA test and posting a public tree I have consented to sharing that information that connects me with my DNA matches.

Genealogy is all about collaboration to determine how members of the same larger family are connected. Putting artificial roadblocks in the way serves no genealogist.

Comment

Letting you see exactly which chromosome segments I share with John Doe, and exactly which chromosome segments I share with Whosey, and exactly which chromosome segments they each share with each other is an order of magnitude larger than just letting you see which chromosome segments you share with your matches. And way more than I feel comfortable doing to other people who only have test results because I begged them to take the test, which ordered and paid for.
          And no, I do not have a Public Tree at FTDNA. And definitely would not create one for those others whose Kits I manage without getting their permission for doing that.

If they had been told they must give up all rights to any privacy if they tested, I would not have been able to get any relatives to test.
          Last edited by loobster; 24th December 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X