why do bam files cost 100 bucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do bam files cost 100 bucks.

I can understand if they have to print it and deliver it using their own car. Or am I missing something?

Apparently a $100 charge for BAM files had been included in the cost of a Big Y test before November 1, 2019. So, if you had a Big Y test done before that date, $100 of the cost of the test was for the BAM file, whether you opted to download it or not.

According to emails sent to customers and project administrators on Nov. 1st,
    The downloadable raw data is expensive for FTDNA to provide for our customers and only a small portion of Big Y participants request this download. Rather than continue to pass this cost along to all Big Y participants, we have chosen to only charge those who wish to download their BAM file for that data. This change allows us to reduce the price of the test, which in turn will give more customers the ability to participate in Big Y testing and building the Haplotree.
    Not every Big Y customer opts to download their BAM file, for this reason, we have removed the cost of the download from the Big Y to allow for a larger discount on the test.

Comment

It was to discourage people uploading their BAM to 3rd party matching websites who do a better job than FTDNA at analysing the data, using FTDNA mass email excuse, then the autosomal test raw files should be chargeable also if they begin to not include them in the future and reduce the price of Family Finder, which is over priced as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Slam View Post
        It was to discourage people uploading their BAM to 3rd party matching websites who do a better job than FTDNA at analysing the data, using FTDNA mass email excuse, then the autosomal test raw files should be chargeable also if they begin to not include them in the future and reduce the price of Family Finder, which is over priced as it is.
        We will have to wait and see what the regular pricing for the Big Y-700 is, after the sale is over. But, if it is as FTDNA has said it will be ($100 less without optional BAM file), then anyone who is that interested in having the BAM file to upload to other websites can still do so for the same cost as before. That is not discouraging people from using their BAM files on other websites; the option is still available.

If FTDNA would charge customers to download their autosomal raw data to use at other websites, as they are now doing for the Y-DNA BAM files, then they certainly should have been charging for that privilege long ago, since many people have been uploading their FTDNA raw data autosomal files to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, and LivingDNA for quite some time. And yet, they didn't charge those extra fees, perhaps because the other companies don't charge to download their autosomal raw data files.

As for Family Finder being overpriced, its current regular price is comparable to the current regular prices of other commercial genealogy-oriented DNA testing companies' autosomal tests (without any extra health result prices):
        Company name / test name Current regular price Current sale price*
        23andMe
        "Ancestry + Traits"
        $99
        $79
        Ancestry.com
        "AncestryDNA"
        $99
        $59
        Family Tree DNA
        "Family Finder"
        $79
        $59
        LivingDNA
        "Full Ancestry Kit"
        $99
        $69
        MyHeritage
        "DNA Kit"
        $79
        $39**

*as of 26 Nov. 2019, all per as advertised on each company's website for U.S. pricing. Any additional shipping costs are not included.
        **see the MyHeritage website, as well as "It's Black Friday Already at MyHeritage," both of which state a U.S. sale price of $39 until Nov. 29th.

I suppose if you feel Family Finder is overpriced, then you would think that the other companies' tests are also at least as overpriced. Each company charges what the market will bear, after all.
        Last edited by KATM; 26th November 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I'd rather pay $99 to 23andme and get much better and often updated ancestry composition, plus my Y-DNA and mtDNA, something FTDNA cant match with their Family Finder outdated product

Originally posted by KATM View Post

We will have to wait and see what the regular pricing for the Big Y-700 is, after the sale is over. But, if it is as FTDNA has said it will be ($100 less without optional BAM file), then anyone who is that interested in having the BAM file to upload to other websites can still do so for the same cost as before. That is not discouraging people from using their BAM files on other websites; the option is still available.

If FTDNA would charge customers to download their autosomal raw data to use at other websites, as they are now doing for the Y-DNA BAM files, then they certainly should have been charging for that privilege long ago, since many people have been uploading their FTDNA raw data autosomal files to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, and LivingDNA for quite some time. And yet, they didn't charge those extra fees, perhaps because the other companies don't charge to download their autosomal raw data files.

As for Family Finder being overpriced, its current regular price is comparable to the current regular prices of other commercial genealogy-oriented DNA testing companies' autosomal tests (without any extra health result prices):
          Company name / test name Current regular price Current sale price*
          23andMe
          "Ancestry + Traits"
          $99
          $79
          Ancestry.com
          "AncestryDNA"
          $99
          $59
          Family Tree DNA
          "Family Finder"
          $79
          $59
          LivingDNA
          "Full Ancestry Kit"
          $99
          $69
          MyHeritage
          "DNA Kit"
          $79
          $39**

*as of 26 Nov. 2019, all per as advertised on each company's website for U.S. pricing. Any additional shipping costs are not included.
          **see the MyHeritage website, as well as "It's Black Friday Already at MyHeritage," both of which state a U.S. sale price of $39 until Nov. 29th.

I suppose if you feel Family Finder is overpriced, then you would think that the other companies' tests are also at least as overpriced. Each company charges what the market will bear, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Slam View Post
            I'd rather pay $99 to 23andme and get much better and often updated ancestry composition, plus my Y-DNA and mtDNA, something FTDNA cant match with their Family Finder outdated product

As long as you realize 23andme and ftdna ydna and mtdna testing are not the same thing.

23andme in many cases is giving you only partial halplogroup labels as they only test a small fraction of the mtdna and ydna snps(less then 5000 of each) needed to assign final subclade branch. Can not do matching of haplogroups at 23andme as many people will share the same haplogroups but not be related along those lines.
            haplogroup matching requires one to know the mutational differences of two people who share the same final known subclade branch

ftdna ydna testing (Ydna37 to 111) is not haplogroup matching or testing. It is ydna matching based on ydna STR signatures
            BigY also test over 100k ydna snps plus the 111 ydna str markers.
            ftdna full sequence tests entire mtdna genome, over 16000 positions

Comment

I was referring to FTDNA autosomal vs 23andme autosomal testing, we all know FTDNA doesnt include snp testing for Y-DNA and mtDNA in their Family Finder test.
              Whilst 23andme will give you a very basal Hg, FTDNA Family Finder gives you nothing. Which is why I said its over priced and outdated.

STR/Targeted Y-DNA and FMS testing is a whole different topic which I wasnt even referring to

P.S I've done all the tests that FTDNA has to offer, but now I've switched to WGS+Yfull for family, as they fulfil all my needs now. Thanks.

Originally posted by prairielad View Post

As long as you realize 23andme and ftdna ydna and mtdna testing are not the same thing.

23andme in many cases is giving you only partial halplogroup labels as they only test a small fraction of the mtdna and ydna snps(less then 5000 of each) needed to assign final subclade branch. Can not do matching of haplogroups at 23andme as many people will share the same haplogroups but not be related along those lines.
              haplogroup matching requires one to know the mutational differences of two people who share the same final known subclade branch

ftdna ydna testing (Ydna37 to 111) is not haplogroup matching or testing. It is ydna matching based on ydna STR signatures
              BigY also test over 100k ydna snps plus the 111 ydna str markers.
              ftdna full sequence tests entire mtdna genome, over 16000 positions
              Last edited by Slam; 30th November 2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X