Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant see match - apparently because Ancestry DNA import is set to 20cM is this true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant see match - apparently because Ancestry DNA import is set to 20cM is this true?

A match on GEDmatch has given me the name of her Tree on FTDNA but because she imported her DNA data from ancestry apparently the threshold is set to 20CM so she does not show up in my matches in Family FInder... how can I access her tree using her name? or how can I use the Chromosome Browser with her data?

To cut to the chase, if she originally tested at Ancestry, she can send you a link to her tree there. She can also send you a link to her tree at FTDNA, even if she isn't in your match list. I hadn't heard of giving a name to access a tree at FTDNA, only a link to the tree. I would refer you to the topic in the FTDNA Learning Center, but for some reason I haven't been able to access it for a couple of days, using different browsers ("https://www.isitdownrightnow.com" says https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ is working, though).

As to why you don't see her in your match list, based on my recollection:

When you transfer a file to FTDNA from another company, you receive a list of matches, plus the use of the Matrix tool. Transferred kits will include your close and immediate matches, up to about 3rd cousin. This does not include more distant matches.

If you transfer, and then you pay the unlock fee, you will then receive your full list of matches, plus the use of the Chromosome Browser, myOrigins, and Ancient Origins. Regarding the 20 cM limit, you may be thinking of the thresholds at FTDNA, which were updated sometime in 2016, and which are discussed in Blaine Bettinger's post. As far as I know, those updated thresholds he mentions are still current. For a match to show up as a match, they must meet these conditions:
    • No minimum shared centiMorgans, but if the cM total is less than 20, at least one segment must be 9 cM or longer.
    • If the longest block of shared DNA is greater than 9 cM, the match will show regardless of total shared cM or the number of matching segments.
    So, as long as you and your GEDmatch match share a block of DNA that is > 9 cM, she should show up in your match list. What were the results at GEDmatch? Does she share more than 9 cM? Does she see you in her match list at FTDNA?

You can read about transferring from Ancestry to FTDNA at Roberta Estes' Dec. 2017 blog post, "Testing Strategy – Should I Test at Ancestry and Transfer to Family Tree DNA?" That post describes how the version of Ancestry chip that was used when the person tested at Ancestry affects how many matches they will see at FTDNA.

Basically, as Roberta's post says, if your GEDmatch match was tested at Ancestry before May of 2016 (the version 1 Ancestry chip), that v. 1 chip was very close to the chip FTDNA was using. If she was tested there after May of 2016, she tested on Ancestry's v. 2 chip, and will not receive a complete list of matches at FTDNA because there were fewer SNPs compatible with FTDNA's chip (Roberta says in the post linked above that your matches would be "about 20-25% of the matches you would receive if you tested at Family Tree DNA"). If this match is not in your match list, you should check with her to find out on which chip she was tested at Ancestry (when she tested there).

A complicating factor is that FTDNA also changed within the last year or so to an Illumina GSA (Global Screening Array) chip, customized to their specifications. While 23andMe and Ancestry also use customized Illumina GSA chips, each is customized to the particular company's specifications (such as having more SNPs for health conditions, which FTDNA does not include). FTDNA had said when they were going to change to a GSA chip, that they would select SNPs to be the most compatible with their previous chip, in order to get similar results in matching. I haven't read anything about how that has worked out.
    Last edited by KATM; 27th October 2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I just tried ("https://www.isitdownrightnow.com" says https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ is working, though). and it didn't work either.

My wife or I had a match show up on GEDmatch with a person who had tested with FTDNA. We didn't have that person as a match at FTDNA. FTDNA told me GEDmatch will ignore some small breaks in the match area that FTDNA does not ignore, thus GEDmatch reports the match and FTDNA does not report it.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
        When you transfer a file to FTDNA from another company, you receive a list of matches, plus the use of the Matrix tool. Transferred kits will include your close and immediate matches, up to about 3rd cousin. This does not include more distant matches.
        It is not so - you can see all matches on free transfer to FTDNA.
        For example, my current account can see matches up to:
        5th Cousin - Remote Cousin / Total cM 19 / Largest cM 9.

And another unlocked account the same, up to:
        5th Cousin - Remote Cousin / Total cM 20 / Largest cM 9

Comment

Originally posted by mdn View Post
          It is not so - you can see all matches on free transfer to FTDNA.
          For example, my current account can see matches up to:
          5th Cousin - Remote Cousin / Total cM 19 / Largest cM 9.

And another unlocked account the same, up to:
          5th Cousin - Remote Cousin / Total cM 20 / Largest cM 9
          I know it has been so. There are articles/blog posts online saying as much, but they are from 2017. The direct to consumer DNA testing market is constantly changing, so something may have changed since then that allows more matches to be shown without paying an unlock fee, but I haven't seen anything specifically written about that.

A quick check of two accounts I manage shows similar results to yours. One was a 23andMe v. 3 transfer in late 2012 or early 2013, which was very compatible with FTDNA's chip back then. The other tested directly at FTDNA in late 2013. So your results seem to indeed cover the full range of matches.
          -------

Here's one more recent post from April 2019 on "DNA Testing and Transfers – What’s Your Strategy?" by Roberta Estes.
          Another post on the transfer topic, including how the match list may be affected, and which has details is "What’s New in Autosomal DNA Transfers" by the DNA Geek, from Sept. 2017. In that post, she says:
          Testers who used the newer versions of AncestryDNA (v2) and 23andMe (v4,5) will not receive distant, speculative matches at FTDNA.
          The factor that has changed since 2017 is that FTDNA has now joined the other companies in using a GSA chip, with imputation (please read that link), which they weren't using in 2017.

So, the ability to see more distant matches might also may depend upon which chip version was in use when you were tested, and the company. Perhaps since FTDNA changed to a GSA chip, the more distant matches have been restored.

This morning I was able to access the FTDNA Learning Center, so I guess whatever the problem was, it is now fixed.

Comment

This morning I was able to access the FTDNA Learning Center, so I guess whatever the problem was, it is now fixed.
            I just tried to access it and it failed!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post

I just tried to access it and it failed!
              LOL, yep, "Website down for maintenance" now! The main FTDNA site (https://www.familytreedna.com) seems to be working, though; it just seems to be the Learning Center part that is down!

Comment

The factor that has changed since 2017 is that FTDNA has now joined the other companies in using a GSA chip, with imputation (please read that link), which they weren't using in 2017.

FTDNA has stated that they will not be using Imputation in their database.
                I have not heard different with new GSA chip, they may have changed stance, but from what I understand, they were working on getting a backwards compatible GSA chip which covered enough of their previously tested SNPs.
                But from what I can see, new chip does have a low overlap (around 220,000 overlap) with previous versions, so maybe they will be forced to.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_SNP_comparison_chart

Comment

That is a really scary lack of match between FTDNA v1 and v2
                  FTDNA v1 to v1: 707,254 SNPS and FTNDA v2 to v2: 610,832 - so Fewer SNPs in v2 -- But the real killer:
                  FTDNA v1 to v2: 212,252 -- -- OUCH!! So is there any point in even encouraging folks to test here any more, if what one wants is to compare to folks who tested previously?

Ancestry v2 apparently has a much higher match with FTDNA v1 than does FTDNA's current chip - yes?

Comment

Following on from Loobster's comment ... I came across a curious post in one of the FB groups, a few days ago. The poster had tested at FTDNA (FF) in December 2018, his father a few weeks later. Both kits were uploaded to GEDmatch, and their overlap was good. A cousin tested in July, and also uploaded to GEDmatch. Overlap for cousin's and poster's kits was 88233; overlap for cousin's and the father's kit was 87812.

Comment

If results on FamilyFinder came in early June 2019 - is that FTDNA v1 or FTDNA v2 -- or do we not know?

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                        If results on FamilyFinder came in early June 2019 - is that FTDNA v1 or FTDNA v2 -- or do we not know?
                        Lobster - June 2019 would be the new (GSA) chip.

Ann Turner posted in one of the FB groups about the change in early April: "It appears that FTDNA has made the switch to the new GSA (Global Screening Array) chip ... for some people at least". It looks like the new chip started being sometime in March. Someone else in another group said one of her kits, processed in February, appeared to be on the old chip.

Comment

Working...
                        X