X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moorekr
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
    For a long time, FTDNA has stated that the batch numbers do not indicate the order they process the tests. Though they have not given specifics about what order they do either. It seems the backlog of Big Y is shrinking a lot. I just saw a bunch of Big Y results arrive this past week. These were for tests ordered at the end of June and early July.

I would not believe that they sidelined kits that were ordered during a sale. Nearly all the kits I have been following were ordered during different sales. Though I did hear at some point that they may have given priority to new Big Y tests over those upgrading from Big Y500 to Big Y700. I saw a bunch of those that appear to take longer. Though it is worth noting that FTDNA obviously had a surge of Big Y orders.

Given that your batch is 971, I suspect it may have had quality assurance issues and had to be redone at least once. That is an unusually longer waiting time for results for sure. I did have one kit that had to wait a lot more. It was being processed while it was a Big Y500. It took months to get partial results in December 2018 before they announced the change to Big Y700. I was not sure if they were going to redo the test or if they were just going to sort of redo a portion to get the Y500 part to actually reach the 500 number.

Months passed by and a rep I talked to indicated I would need to order the Big Y700 if I wanted it as the retest was not going to be that. That rep was wrong as a I talked to a different person that was dealing with Big Y questions. They did retest that kit to Big Y700 after all and I got the results for that in May 2019. So the wait may have been closer to a year. Not sure as the batch order does not help. I needed to submit a new sample much later than the original order date.

Make sure the shipping address is up to date and that they haven't emailed you about needing a new sample. Just in case.
    I believe that my batch was "sidelined" because that's what I was told by a customer service representative and she stated that she was told that by her supervisor. She confirmed basically what you had heard which is that priority was given to new orders over upgrades. My Big Y order was an upgrade. I was told that there were over 6,000 upgrades in the May sale. My upgrade order is was part of the May sale. My e-mail is correct. I received e-mails in July and earlier this month apologizing for the continued delays and giving new expected result dates. (The date given in the July e-mail was missed.) I have spoken to customer service reps several times in the last couple of weeks and there has been no mention of quality issue.

Here's part of what I said at the beginning of this chain:

I think a lot of us would be happier if FTDNA could answer a couple of questions with some detail:
    1. Why is FTDNA unable to give realistic expected result dates?
    2. What actions are FTDNA taking to try and clear the backlog so that the expected result date given when the product is purchased for Big Y is realistic?

This is still the root of my gripe.
    Last edited by moorekr; 16th October 2019, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The_Contemplator
    replied
    For a long time, FTDNA has stated that the batch numbers do not indicate the order they process the tests. Though they have not given specifics about what order they do either. It seems the backlog of Big Y is shrinking a lot. I just saw a bunch of Big Y results arrive this past week. These were for tests ordered at the end of June and early July.

I would not believe that they sidelined kits that were ordered during a sale. Nearly all the kits I have been following were ordered during different sales. Though I did hear at some point that they may have given priority to new Big Y tests over those upgrading from Big Y500 to Big Y700. I saw a bunch of those that appear to take longer. Though it is worth noting that FTDNA obviously had a surge of Big Y orders.

Given that your batch is 971, I suspect it may have had quality assurance issues and had to be redone at least once. That is an unusually longer waiting time for results for sure. I did have one kit that had to wait a lot more. It was being processed while it was a Big Y500. It took months to get partial results in December 2018 before they announced the change to Big Y700. I was not sure if they were going to redo the test or if they were just going to sort of redo a portion to get the Y500 part to actually reach the 500 number.

Months passed by and a rep I talked to indicated I would need to order the Big Y700 if I wanted it as the retest was not going to be that. That rep was wrong as a I talked to a different person that was dealing with Big Y questions. They did retest that kit to Big Y700 after all and I got the results for that in May 2019. So the wait may have been closer to a year. Not sure as the batch order does not help. I needed to submit a new sample much later than the original order date.

Make sure the shipping address is up to date and that they haven't emailed you about needing a new sample. Just in case.
    Last edited by The_Contemplator; 16th October 2019, 01:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• moorekr
    replied
    Originally posted by moorekr View Post

Well... considering that they asked their supervisor for the status and as I as mentioned earlier customers with higher batch numbers have received their results and I haven't, I doubt the customer service representative was misinformed. The whole point of my post in this forum which is called "Grumbles and Gripes" is that I don't believe that FTDNA is conforming to normal expectations of good business practices.
    Check out the posts in the "Latest Y-700 batches" forum and you will see that my experience is not unique.

Leave a comment:

• moorekr
    replied
    Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
    I hope the customer service representative was misinformed, because what you were told is certainly contrary to normal expectations of fair business practices.
    Well... considering that they asked their supervisor for the status and as I as mentioned earlier customers with higher batch numbers have received their results and I haven't, I doubt the customer service representative was misinformed. The whole point of my post in this forum which is called "Grumbles and Gripes" is that I don't believe that FTDNA is conforming to normal expectations of good business practices.

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    I hope the customer service representative was misinformed, because what you were told is certainly contrary to normal expectations of fair business practices.

Leave a comment:

• moorekr
    replied
    Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
    My guess is that the Big Y 700 process is still evolving and has not yet settled down to the point where firm date estimates are feasible. However, it would be helpful to customers if FTDNA could take a fresh look at the process and provide an update that is more transparent. It would not be surprising if part of the delay is due to evolving measures designed to improve quality control, as well as further development of the software that interprets and presents the data.
    I called Customer Service after I noticed that people with higher batch numbers (some as high as 980) had received their results when I had not. My batch is 971. I was told that in the May period when I ordered my upgrade to Big Y 700, they received over 6,000 upgrade orders for Big Y. (They were running a sale at the time.) Apparently, a decision was made to process orders that were not ordered during the sale more quickly than orders made during the sale period. They wanted to meet their normal processing times for those orders. When I joined FTDNA, there was a lot of advice in some of the projects that I belong to to wait for the sales to do the upgrade. It looks like a of us took that advice. I certainly did not expect that this would mean we would receive second class customer service because we took advantage of a sale that FTDNA offered.

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    My guess is that the Big Y 700 process is still evolving and has not yet settled down to the point where firm date estimates are feasible. However, it would be helpful to customers if FTDNA could take a fresh look at the process and provide an update that is more transparent. It would not be surprising if part of the delay is due to evolving measures designed to improve quality control, as well as further development of the software that interprets and presents the data.

Leave a comment:

• moorekr
    started a topic Clearing the Big Y backlog

Clearing the Big Y backlog

I don't think it is news to anyone that FTDNA has a backlog for Big Y 700 results. It seems that kits that were batched in April are now getting results. Reading comments in other forums, it is pretty obvious that there is a lot of frustration in that expected result dates are not realistic and are just updated every two weeks with a new date two weeks in the future. I think I am on my sixth update. There was also an e-mail send in July that was supposed to have more realistic expected result dates. I think a lot of us would be happier if FTDNA could answer a couple of questions with some detail:
    1. Why is FTDNA unable to give realistic expected result dates?
    2. What actions are FTDNA taking to try and clear the backlog so that the expected result date given when the product is purchased for Big Y is realistic?
Working...
X