New Dashboard - Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dashboard - Why?

The new Dashboard for members is a sterile and space-wasting exercise. The new features might prove useful, but my previous instructions for new users to join projects and navigate their dashboards now has no easy color references for the left-hand side of the display, and except for the tiny image in the right corner (if one was uploaded) this appears to be a corporate report with no reference to an actual person.
    Previous dashboards allowed the GAP admin to see when the member last logged in, a valuable piece of info apparently gone.
    Where's the humanity?
    Last edited by clintonslayton76; 17th September 2019, 12:15 PM.

Well, I'm not a GAP admin but I, also, don't like it. I particularly don't like the Y section where it says how far up the ladder the person has tested with the next step listed. For instance I have several kits who have tested to Y111 and then next to it has Big Y. This is nothing more than a sales ploy. I have NO intentions whatsoever of testing my kits at the Big Y level. From a scientific research standpoint it might be productive but for me it's totally not useful. Now, if I could test my kits for the terminal snp which has been listed in those who have done the Big Y then I would do that but I realize that's not going to happen because that would be counter productive for FTDNA. People would have no reason to test Big Y.
    Last edited by Tenn4ever; 17th September 2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

"The new features might prove useful", Seems like the new features broke the entire interface.

Comment

They should make an "update" that includes making the forums easier to find so you don't have to know exactly where to go to get there. There might well be more questions that are asked and answered if people can find them.

Comment

ewd76, I agree completely, but the forum interface is another topic, my complaint is about the kit member Home page Dashboard that each member sees as their gateway, and that GAP administrators can see if given at least limited permission in Project Preferences.
          More and more the tinkering for the sake of tinkering does not lead to improvement of any kind for the user, and imposes a learning curve on those who have already spent money and plenty of time learning how to see their results.

Comment

On the Dashboard Page On the Settings "Wheel" on the upper right hand side of the Dashboard you can click customize settings and pick "View Previous Version" and you get your old Dashboard back.

Comment

Originally posted by rproto View Post
              On the Dashboard Page On the Settings "Wheel" on the upper right hand side of the Dashboard you can click customize settings and pick "View Previous Version" and you get your old Dashboard back.
              I tried this yesterday, and it worked all right. But, when I logged in today, it opened in the new Dashboard design. So it doesn't save the "previous version" as a setting, at least as it is now. You'll need to use the gear to view the previous dashboard layout every time you log in.

Comment

rproto, thanks for letting us know, but I find that these reversion tools are usually only temporary. I would like to see enough support for the idea of the new Dashboard as an option and not the default.

I might be an idiot, but I do not see "Customize Settings" after choosing the [GEAR] - Account Settings on my kit page.

I simply do not see the point of disorienting existing customers when the "new tools" could have been incorporated into an already-effective interface. And no, I am not the sort of person who prefers rotary-dial telephones, but much of what sucks about the age of cell phones is that we are asked to constantly adapt to new and pointless changes.
                Last edited by clintonslayton76; 20th September 2019, 03:33 PM. Reason: testing the referred to solution, which failed

Comment

Yes, I fear that ability to see the old Dashboard will be temporary. Do not click on "Account Settings". The Gear I am referring to is below Account Settings on the DashBoard Page itself. It is a bit confusing.

Comment

Working...
                  X