Grumble and Moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumble and Moan

Nothing substantive - this will make me feel better though. Eight years and no breakthroughs. No freaking decent matches. Who was my paternal great grandfather’s father. C’mon people, I don’t want your castle or your gold. I want a name. (One I can spell easily, please.). ;-)

Absolutely love the comment, same here not interested in money or possessions, I just want to find someone I am related to lol. In 3 years zilch for mtDNA, so went for the auDNA. Results came back recently.

I want that buzz - ooo I really do have a match. So keen to have that buzz, I paid for my twin and my mother to also have the auDNA - if nothing else I will see how the matching really works.

I have no aunts or uncles (all deceased), no father (he died 39 years ago). Because we lived abroad in the 1970s we lost touch with everyone, by the time we came back mid 1980s they'd either died or moved.

I want to find a relative

Comment

Yes, we have similar stories. My Great Grandfather Clarke used his mothers name, so unless his father was (Gulp) a Clarke sibling/cousin/etc, Clarke is not really the surname I am looking for. But WHAT name should I look for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
        Yes, we have similar stories. My Great Grandfather Clarke used his mothers name, so unless his father was (Gulp) a Clarke sibling/cousin/etc, Clarke is not really the surname I am looking for. But WHAT name should I look for?
        Late at night and off the top of my head ......
        - If this is your father's father's father you are seeking - get a Y test as an add-on to your autosomal test at FTDNA, they are on sale right now. Then look carefully at the surnames. Next step: use that info to have fun looking for interesting neighbors in the census records. You will have a lot of matches if you are European, probably none if you aren't. In two cases in our family it told us what the paternal surnames must have been, at some point. No more than that - but it's a start.
        - Download your autosomal file and upload it to MyHeritage, gedmatch, etc. to find more matches.
        - I hate to say this - but also get an autosomal test at Ancestry while they are on sale. Just take any trees there as fantasy and don't expect matches to respond. That has helped us not at all - but it has worked for other people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
          Mudgeeclarke - I second what abuelita says .... although if great-grandfather Clarke was conceived in Australia, censuses can't help; try PO directories and electoral rolls instead (if they existed then). And I noticed you've already done Y testing.

Definitely upload your autosomal to Gedmatch, and also to My Heritage if/when you can. Also, yes, test at Ancestry - because of its huge database.

Finally, get on to Facebook (use an alias and a gmail account if you want privacy) and join one of the DNA Detectives groups there. The DNA Detectives Downunder might be best, if the Clarke event was in Aus.
          Last edited by Fern; 18th August 2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks, FERN and ABUELITA. Just saw these responses for some reason. Appreciate your interest.

I’ve tested “everywhere” all the Ys, all mtDNA, and all autosomal, (at several companies) and for years I’ve been at GEDMatch as well as the various sites. My Facebook Page for it is “The Richard Clarke Enigma.” TODAY I just got my first ever Y500/700 match. And (naturally) I’m from NPE and he is from Adopted ancestors.
            Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 12th September 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X