Haplogroup and SNP list won't load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup and SNP list won't load

For days the haplogroup and SNP list won't load. When the SNP list finally does load and I am unable to select a SNP to order. Does anyone know what the problem is?

The list loaded for me. Took about as long as it has for a long time. I didn't see any SNPs marked as available to order. I have Big Y so that might affect that. I always ordered SNPs using the "ADD ONS & UPGRADES" link.

Have you reported this to FTDNA?

Comment

Last night the "in common with" tool wasn't working at that time. But it is working now. Technical glitches abound. Sometimes they come and go, like gremlins.

Apparently we who participate on GG websites are expected to accept service disruptions without voicing complaint. In some of the other sites you can be banned for voicing such complaints. Been there, done that. It's why I'm still here.

Since this is the grumbles page, we are allowed to grumble. In that respect, this site is better than some others.

We'll see what happens next.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        The list loaded for me. Took about as long as it has for a long time. I didn't see any SNPs marked as available to order. I have Big Y so that might affect that. I always ordered SNPs using the "ADD ONS & UPGRADES" link.

Have you reported this to FTDNA?
        Jim, the haplogroup and snp page does slow but very slowly. I've tried several times to order a particular snp on that page and by going to upgrade ordering but am unable to. This snp is blue highlighted and indicates it's a downstream snp. Maybe these are not allowed to be ordered? All the other snps are either tested positive, tested negative, presumed positive or presumed negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post

Jim, the haplogroup and snp page does slow but very slowly. I've tried several times to order a particular snp on that page and by going to upgrade ordering but am unable to. This snp is blue highlighted and indicates it's a downstream snp. Maybe these are not allowed to be ordered? All the other snps are either tested positive, tested negative, presumed positive or presumed negative.
          You might be able to talk a customer service agent into letting you order a SNP in blue, but some can be obtuse. I have heard that project managers can request a SNP be added for purchase, but I have not had luck with efforts on that route.

Have you checked to see if YSEQ has that SNP available? If the company does not, it has a procedure for requesting that the SNP be added.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post

I just tested your problem using my cousins kit. He has never ordered a SNP test. When the Haplogroup and SNP page loads many of the SNPs are in blue. Only a small portion of these have a small blue "Add" button at the far right. I was able to click on that button and add the SNP to his shopping cart. I don't know how FTDNA decides which of the blue SNPs get the add button.

I didn't try completing the order since he is deceased and his sample was exhausted when I added FF to his kit.

Comment

Thanks, the Add button isn't next to the snp I want to test. Actually, out of all my husband's snps which are listed only four are blue and none of them have the Add button. Hmm.

Comment

Have you tried to order the SNP using the "ADD ONS & UPGRADES" near the top of the pages when you are logged into his kit?

Comment

At least for me, "ADD ONS & UPGRADES" does not appear to allow me to add a SNP which is not already shown with "ADD" next to it on the "HAPLOTREE & SNPs" page.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
                    At least for me, "ADD ONS & UPGRADES" does not appear to allow me to add a SNP which is not already shown with "ADD" next to it on the "HAPLOTREE & SNPs" page.
                    I have Big Y results. NONE of the SNPs on the Haplotree & SNPs page have the blue ADD button, but when I go to the Add Ons & Upgrades page, scroll down to Advance Test, click on Buy Now and select SNP as the type it reports 183 pages of SNPs. I'm on the R branch, yet I was able to select L117 which is from the E branch. I would guess there was about 100 SNPs per page.

Comment

Jim, that's curious. FTDNA seems to have an algorithm for whether a individual can order a particular SNP. Perhaps the
                      Haplotree & SNPs page route recognizes that you have taken Big Y and you have no need to order any of the SNPs while the Add Ons & Upgrades page does not recognize that you have done Big Y. Still getting something from the E branch is a bit of a stretch.

Regardless, some SNPs which I believe I should be able to order I can't by either route. If I had $39 laying around, I possibly would give customer Service a call, but I think my best approach now is just to save up for Big Y.

Jack

Comment

Jack,

If you go to the SNP order section of Add Ons & Upgrades and select SNP, but don't enter a SNP name it will load a list of SNPs. Scroll to the bottom of the page. How many pages does it show? I see 183 pages? It doesn't matter if I logged in as me or customers with no SNP testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                          Jack,

If you go to the SNP order section of Add Ons & Upgrades and select SNP, but don't enter a SNP name it will load a list of SNPs. Scroll to the bottom of the page. How many pages does it show? I see 183 pages? It doesn't matter if I logged in as me or customers with no SNP testing.
                          OK, I get the whole list. The list apparently consists of only the downstream SNPs which have ADD beside them. For instance, at one time I would have liked to test S10350. I have since tested that SNP at YSEQ and came up negative. Some SNPs not available probably cannot be added for technical reasons, but others could if you are able to convince FTDNA to do it.

The point is that you cannot go to the list and find something which does not already have ADD beside it on your Haplotree & SNPs page.

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post

OK, I get the whole list. The list apparently consists of only the downstream SNPs which have ADD beside them. For instance, at one time I would have liked to test S10350. I have since tested that SNP at YSEQ and came up negative. Some SNPs not available probably cannot be added for technical reasons, but others could if you are able to convince FTDNA to do it.

The point is that you cannot go to the list and find something which does not already have ADD beside it on your Haplotree & SNPs page.
                            You may not be able to. I can.

Comment

Jim, I finally was able to pull up the entire SNP list on upgrades but the SNP I'm interested in ordering is not listed...
                              BY33595
                              . The reason I want to order this SNP is because two of the matches on my husbands Y37 match list have tested with the Big Y and
                              BY33595
                              is their end SNP. This is listed on my husbands SNP list on his page but for some reason I'm not allowed to order it nor is it on the SNP list on the upgrade list. The SNP closest to it is BY3359 (without the final 5). Is this a force tactic to try to make me order the BIG Y. All I want to do is see if my husband matches these other two men at this SNP.

Comment

Working...
                              X