Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cjm
    replied
    Thanks for the explanation Bartarl. My priorities going into Big-Y were to officially establish my line and break new ground because I knew there was no easy way I was going to accomplish SNP testing based on what's currently available. So this is all a great thing for me.

Leave a comment:

• bartarl260
    replied
    I think you will find a not insignificant number of the delays have less to do with "sample quality" and much more to do with the "unique nature" of the test results being found. As a "unique result" should trigger "quality control" to verify the "unique result" isn't an error.

In simpler terms, someone testing from a population grouping which is poorly represented in the FTDNA database is going to take longer to process than someone from a population group which is "well represented" in the database. Simply because people in the "well represented" grouping are going to be generating a LOT fewer "unique results" which will get them flagged for quality control by virtue of "been there, seen that before already" coming into play with them.

So for those testing "for science" the delays are a good thing, as it means new ground is being mapped out. For those testing for genealogy purposes, significant delays are a very strong indicator you're not likely to have many(if any) close matches for you to work with, at least to start with.

Likewise, a very fast turn around on BigY probably means there is a "close match" in the system already which might be useful in some way for genealogy purposes.

Leave a comment:

• cjm
    started a topic Better Customer Service on Big-Y

Better Customer Service on Big-Y

After eagerly awaiting my Big-Y results after two months, it was delayed, now delayed again another two weeks. I've seen posts on here where people are going 8 months and over a year on their results. My question: Is there a way FTDNA could organize how long they anticipate the results to be and provide a little bit better customer recovery than currently offered? So for example, you find that a sample being used for results is substandard and may result in substantial delays. These delays may be over two months past the initial expected date. Why not just contact the person and let them know - "hey, we don't have a great sample to work with. We apologize for the delays. If you want, we can send you a fresh sample kit so we can get something better and have some results sooner than if we had to process what we have. Would that be good with you?" I can see some of these people going from excited to test when they initially order it...to disappointment, to disappointment again when it's delayed more, to not caring and moving on to other things, and finally, slight revulsion at FTDNA for promising to deliver a product and 10 months later, nothing. I just think there could be a way to handle some of these orders better.
Working...
X