yDNA genetic distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yDNA genetic distance

I first tested my yDNA in 2006 and I have never gotten a single match with a genetic distance closer than 2. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be an error or is my DNA really that rare?

Well, Y-DNA matching has moved away from STRs, to SNPs instead.

But what is your haplogroup?

Comment

Originally posted by James Dotson View Post
      I first tested my yDNA in 2006 and I have never gotten a single match with a genetic distance closer than 2. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be an error or is my DNA really that rare?
      You failed to tell us which marker level you are talking about.

FTDNA recently introduced Big Y500 which includes both SNP and STR testing. Lots of people are still ordering STRs.

Comment

Marker level is just 37.

Comment

My wife's cousin, who is a R-M269, has ZERO matches at 37 markers. He has almost 1,000 at 25 markers. He has no nulls.

Comment

I tested my Italian father in 2012. He is J-M172 and he has zero matches at any level.

Comment

You've got a match at GD 2? Lucky bastard, I have zero matches and I've done Y67. I'm in an obscure branch of J-M172 with closest matches around 5000 years ago.

Comment

I have huge numbers of distant Y-STR matches. I have 1 match at distance 1, 1 at 2, and 1 at 3, for 111 markers. For 67 markers I have no matches closer than 2.

So far I have only 5 STR matches with my L175 haplogroup (the first one found in R1a by WTY) and zero for CLD23. A couple more should arrive soon ... but they are brothers of known ones.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Apparently it is not too unusual.

Comment

Genetic distance of 6?

My younger brother did the y67 test with FF and we had a decent amount of matches with other Timmons and a few matches with the surname Wright. (There was a name change somewhere, about 1000 years ago, is the theory there) We have been stuck on Abraham Timmons (1765-1812) for years and had hoped doing the yDNA would show some close matches.

At y67 we had a genetic distance of 1-8 or so with our matches. I decided to get my brother the bigY and y111 to narrow things down. We got the results and that made the genetic distance even further. Our closest match is now 3. I don't get it. We can 100% confirm who our Timmons ancestor was. We have wills, land deeds, census records etc...There is another Timmons from Abraham's line who also tested at y111. Same deal, large paper trail that traces back to Abraham Timmons. We show a genetic distance of 6 with him =x 6! Wouldn't our genetic distance be a lot closer if Abraham was our common ancestor? He lived in the late 1700's.

In our Timmons project we have several Timmons who trace back to Abraham's line. In Maryland there were 2 or 3 Timmons/ins families that appeared to be related in some way (cousins or w/e) Somehow none of our testers atDNA or yDNA show a close match with each other. It's odd to me. It's as if all of us came from a separate Timmons families and that isn't the case. Solid records, like wills, stories, census records, court records etc...prove otherwise.

My questions is, how can solid documents/sources that prove said relations be so opposite of what yDNA genetic distance shows? Does anyone know how accurate genetic distance is? I am really frustrated and so are many other testers in our group.

Thanks

Kate

Comment

Originally posted by KateTimmons1776 View Post
                      My younger brother did the y67 test with FF and we had a decent amount of matches with other Timmons and a few matches with the surname Wright. (There was a name change somewhere, about 1000 years ago, is the theory there) We have been stuck on Abraham Timmons (1765-1812) for years and had hoped doing the yDNA would show some close matches.

At y67 we had a genetic distance of 1-8 or so with our matches. I decided to get my brother the bigY and y111 to narrow things down. We got the results and that made the genetic distance even further. Our closest match is now 3. I don't get it. We can 100% confirm who our Timmons ancestor was. We have wills, land deeds, census records etc...There is another Timmons from Abraham's line who also tested at y111. Same deal, large paper trail that traces back to Abraham Timmons. We show a genetic distance of 6 with him =x 6! Wouldn't our genetic distance be a lot closer if Abraham was our common ancestor? He lived in the late 1700's.

In our Timmons project we have several Timmons who trace back to Abraham's line. In Maryland there were 2 or 3 Timmons/ins families that appeared to be related in some way (cousins or w/e) Somehow none of our testers atDNA or yDNA show a close match with each other. It's odd to me. It's as if all of us came from a separate Timmons families and that isn't the case. Solid records, like wills, stories, census records, court records etc...prove otherwise.

My questions is, how can solid documents/sources that prove said relations be so opposite of what yDNA genetic distance shows? Does anyone know how accurate genetic distance is? I am really frustrated and so are many other testers in our group.

Thanks

Kate
                      Because ones position on the family tree (2nd cousin, 5th cousin, etc) does not always mean your Y-DNA results will be the exact same haplotype (not to be confused with haplogroup). I have a 3rd cousin 3 times removed who is a genetic distance of 2. We are the same haplogroup and definitely still related, the only thing is there has been some mutations either in my line or his line somewhere between our shared paternal ancestor and us.

Do not be concerned with these genetic distances, you've confirmed you are related with your Timmons matches (so long as these men are the same Haplogroup). A genetic distance of [email protected] and [email protected] markers are within range of relatedness. Some families have higher mutation rates, and some have a null result on certain markers which can really limit the matching algorithms FTDNA uses.

Comment

I think you are expecting too much. Have you read https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...s-interpreted/

Do you understand that autosomal DNA will start missing relatives beyond 3rd or 4th cousin.

Comment

Working...
                        X