DNA Projects and lack of communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA Projects and lack of communication

Ok so it's entirely possible I'm not quite fully getting the hang of things regarding DNA Projects. So upon a time several years ago, I took part in a longitudinal study where my blood was collected and matched with others like me to gather data and to better define health issues. From time to time, the study sent out mailers that communicated how the data was being used and what exactly was accomplished so far using those samples.

I feel like when I join these DNA projects, the really important thing that is missing from nearly every group is communicating how exactly my DNA test has helped identify goals so far. What have you learned so far about migratory patterns or distinct lineages within surnames? What important insights have been made so far?

Anyone else feel that way?

Yes! It's been a very long time -- years -- since anything whatever came out of the surname project.

Comment

It depends on a project.

More importantly Y DNA projects are not as essential to many as they used to be, since Big Y created a new playing field.

Mr. W.

Comment

More importantly Y DNA projects are not as essential to many as they used to be, since Big Y created a new playing field.
        You mean in terms of accounting for DNA mutations?

Comment

Originally posted by cjm View Post

I feel like when I join these DNA projects, the really important thing that is missing from nearly every group is communicating how exactly my DNA test has helped identify goals so far. What have you learned so far about migratory patterns or distinct lineages within surnames? What important insights have been made so far?

Anyone else feel that way?
          I administer a large project that began before FTDNA even started up.

We've learned a very lot, and our web site describes
          most of it.

BUT ....

It has pretty much saturated. We cannot learn more just from people doing the STR (Y-111) tests.

We need more data. We need more poeple who know ancestry to submit Gedcoms, or even just the Y-lineage, AND for those same people to take enough SNP tests to establish groups.
          This usually means BigY but in some cases SNP Packs or SNP Panels from Yseq.net will do.

We need more people in Scotland to do detailed Y Chromosome tests. And, of course, to let use use the data!

Comment

We need more people in Scotland to do detailed Y Chromosome tests. And, of course, to let use use the data!
            dtvmcdonald

By chance, what's your website?

Also, I'd be willing to contribute Y-DNA results, GEDCOM, possible SNP if you're interested. I wasn't born/don't live in Scotland, but my traceable y-line ancestors and surname relatives were miners living in the Lanarkshire County area. Will have some results back late June, early July.
            Last edited by cjm; 25 May 2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

dtvmcdonald

By chance, what's your website?
              Our web site is Clandonaldusa.org, go to the DNA Project.
              However, its usual to join through the project join mechanism at FTDNA, we're called Donald USA.

Comment

Whoops...well, I guess I can't join if I'm not a MacDonald.

I'm impressed though. I'm impressed with the whole site actually. Wow.

Back to the topic at hand - you're doing what 99% of the other groups that I see aren't - which is, giving them a concise update on what you're finding with the data.

Comment

Whoops...well, I guess I can't join if I'm not a MacDonald.

I'm impressed though. I'm impressed with the whole site actually. Wow.

Back to the topic at hand - you're doing what 99% of the other groups that I see aren't - which is, giving them a concise update on what you're finding with the data.
                  What kind of information are you looking for in projects? Most group the data based on who matches who. That in itself is the purpose of most projects to see what lineages match which and just importantly which don't match each other. If there is a lack of data it is because the project members don't supply it. Many members don't supply their earliest known ancestors (even when asked), they don't upload pedigrees and don't change their settings so that their results are public. So if there is a lack of information coming from the surname projects you are looking at I would say it is more lack of participation from members than an administrator not sharing the findings.

Comment

What kind of information are you looking for in projects?
                    OK well like one group I'm in is to locate a mostly intact y chromosome from a the direct descendants of a historical group of people. Over 1,500 members now but no updates...I want to know did you capture those y-chromosomes yet? On which ancestors?

Another one I'm in is like...trying to locate different lineages within surnames. Ok so, you guys have a lot of members...what did you find out? What did this collection help you locate?

I guess I'm not looking at it yet as "how did it help me?" But when most of the results for the group come back that you are part of a haplogroup that a large percent of European males have....well that's not helpful. I could Google that. I don't need FamilyTree to tell me the migratory patterns of most European males.

I'm looking for nuggets of insight that can only be attained through tests and groups.

Comment

surname project

How do I start a surname project? Doesn't seem to be one for "Way / Waye".

Comment

colinwaye

A few GAP FAQ's
                        https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...ion/reference/

For starting a project
                        *Note - currently seems to be disabled with following message
                        "Thank you for your interest in a FamilyTreeDNA Group Project. We have suspended applications for new projects until after the GDPR updates are completed. We will begin accepting applications on June 15. We appreciate your patience."
                        https://www.familytreedna.com/project-application.aspx

Alternatively you can inquire through their Open Request Form
                        https://www.familytreedna.com/contact
                        Select Open Request under the Support section, enter info and select "Group Project"

Comment

I believe FTDNA said they were shutting new project request until the dust settled down after GDPR, but I can't find that message now.

Comment

The problem I run in to in my project is that the people who can provide me with specific dna that would answer a lot of questions often will not submit a dna sample, even when I offer to pay. That prevents me from learning anything at all from the project.

Comment

Also keep in mind that the admins are unpaid volunteers and may have to prioritise other things in their life from time to time. They may also get ill, die, etc. and the GDPR fall out from the World Families site suggested a number of them are orphans in need of more help. If the project seems dead it might be worth contacting the admins and asking about it.

Equally, with GDPR the admins are hamstrung if people don't update their settings. Equally projects do rely on people joining and getting advice on what tests to take first.

So there are numerous reasons a project may go quiet.

Comment

Working...
                              X