IMPORTANT Information For Ysearch and Mitosearch Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPORTANT Information For Ysearch and Mitosearch Members

I guess we have all received the email notification within the past couple of days.

On May 24th, 2018, our free, public genetic-genealogy databases, ysearch.org and mitosearch.org, will no longer be accessible as a result of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) going into effect on May 25th.
    While I did my first DNA test with FTDNA in 2003 and the most recent last month, I'm new at all of this genetic genealogy (I've been doing genealogy searches since the late 1960s). So, could someone explain how these two databases being deleted will affect my searches? For instance, I just did the Family Finder test, which just came back with 3,000 matches (I'm trying to figure out exactly what the "matches" mean) but they said the additional testing results won't be back until June. Am I going to be restricted by this EU GDPR regulation as to what I can find?

If you have never used one of those two uses (YSearch and MitoSearch), then you will not be affected at all. They were simply public sites run by FTDNA that allowed users to compare their YDNA and mtDNA openly and with those who had tested in other sites which have since closed. The sites haven't been running smoothly for some time so they were less useful to many people. So you are okay. It is just important to those that have been making use of those two sites.

Comment

Working...
    X