I wish we had the option to spit! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish we had the option to spit! :)

Family Tree is my favorite place to test. I've done all DNA tests here except my husbands, and really like the way the company is run, the option for y and mtdna tests, and the high rate of responses when I contact matches!
    I just wish there was a spit test available. I have a cousin who is in his 60's and the last male of my maternal side. I so wanted his ydna, and to join the important groups. He has OCD though, and refuses to put anything in his mouth. No matter what we all say to him, he won't do it. That's the only thing holding him back. I am going to have his sister take the test I bought for him, and probably order from 23andme for him.
    I thought about having him spit in a cup and coating the swab in it, any thoughts on if that would work?!
    Just needed to vent somewhere....

Perhaps if you phone or contact FTDNA and explain the problem, they can suggest something, or give you directions? The phone number and hours to call, plus a support request form, can be found by clicking on the "Customer Support" link at the top right of the forum pages. "Sample Collection questions" looks like the appropriate topic to choose in the dropdown menu.

I would be wary about spitting in a cup and coating the swab, though. Check with FTDNA first.

Comment

FTDNA parent company does testing on DNA extracted from blood (the best method, but expensive and inconvenient for most testers, so it is primarily used when analyzing the entire genome), etc., thus things surely can be arranged.

Expect that there would be a DNA extraction charge etc. In the previous post, user KATM gave you a path to follow.

Good luck - Mr. W.

P.S.
      I had family members testing on a condition that they did not need to spit...

Comment

For the blood extraction method, FTDNA advises not to use it for Family Finder or mtDNAFullSequence tests. But, the original poster, BrendaStorieMart, wants her male cousin to test for Y-DNA. So it might work for her, if she can afford the not insignificant extra cost (which is added to the actual Y-DNA testing cost), and her cousin is not averse to providing a small amount of blood.

The blood card extraction option is discussed on the Learning Center page "Do I have to use a cheek swab? Does FTDNA test other kinds of samples, like hair or teeth?":

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          For the blood extraction method, FTDNA advises not to use it for Family Finder or mtDNAFullSequence tests. But, the original poster, BrendaStorieMart, wants her male cousin to test for Y-DNA. So it might work for her, if she can afford the not insignificant extra cost (which is added to the actual Y-DNA testing cost), and her cousin is not averse to providing a small amount of blood.

The blood card extraction option is discussed on the Learning Center page "Do I have to use a cheek swab? Does FTDNA test other kinds of samples, like hair or teeth?":
          I meant real blood. As on the page https://www.genebygene.com/pages/research under the subheading Sample Requirements:
          By default [----] buccal (cheek) swab kits [----].
          If necessary [----]:
          • [----] Extracted DNA: 20ul of 50ng/ul, OD260/OD280 ~ 1.8, include details of extraction method with samples
          • [----] Blood: 3-5cc drawn in EDTA (purple-top) tube
          • [----]
          Depending on circumstances getting quality DNA extracted locally might be another option (although not necessarily a cheaper one).

I have no actual experience with providing anything but cheek swabs to FTDNA. You have to talk to FTDNA and find something acceptable to your cousin, you and FTDNA.

Mr. W.

Comment

Which other Testing Companies are currently using versions that can be transferred to FTDNA? (And that are spit tests)

I believe the version 23andMe is currently using cannot be, so would not recommend it as the best substitute choice.
            Ancestry apparently sometimes can - and there is a "Fix" in the discussions in this forum that seems to work for most kits that will not upload on their own - but no guarantees.
            Both of those are spit tests.

Others?

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
              Which other Testing Companies are currently using versions that can be transferred to FTDNA? (And that are spit tests)

I believe the version 23andMe is currently using cannot be, so would not recommend it as the best substitute choice.
              Ancestry apparently sometimes can - and there is a "Fix" in the discussions in this forum that seems to work for most kits that will not upload on their own - but no guarantees.
              Both of those are spit tests.

Others?
              The above does not matter, since there is a need to have Y DNA results.

Mr. W.

Comment

Whoops - you are right - I ended up overlooking that.

Suggestions to contact FTDNA are probably best.
                Some other thoughts:

Brenda - does your Cousin eat? Go to the Dentist? Brush his teeth?
                If by any chance he does all of those, then perhaps there is some chance he can talk himself into being able to swab or let you swab?

Or do so with the help of hypnosis?? [not sure, but thinking that might be cheaper than using blood or etc.]

Or if he is ever anesthetized, have it done then?

Also - apparently testing can be done soon after death (including many funeral directors are willing to swab) - so do the best you can now, and if you cannot get him tested for FTDNA, possibly have him agree that after death it can be done? [or at least, have him not have actually said no to that idea!] (I had asked about that before -see here for responses: http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=42968 )

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                  Whoops - you are right - I ended up overlooking that.

Suggestions to contact FTDNA are probably best.
                  Some other thoughts:

Brenda - does your Cousin eat? Go to the Dentist? Brush his teeth?
                  If by any chance he does all of those, then perhaps there is some chance he can talk himself into being able to swab or let you swab?

Or do so with the help of hypnosis?? [not sure, but thinking that might be cheaper than using blood or etc.]

Or if he is ever anesthetized, have it done then?

[----]
                  At Gene By Gene (parent of FTDNA), the cost is 50 USD for DNA extraction from a blood sample. It shouldn't be significantly more with FTDNA.

Gene By Gene is using exclusively the blood samples for their whole genome testing, so that method must be the best. But only in terms of DNA quality and quantity! Cheek swabs are significantly simpler for the test takers, but clearly not always.

FTDNA is not prepared to handle a variety of DNA sources****, but I am imaging that they would accept extracted DNA. The added benefit is that if extraction process is done locally (with whatever source of DNA!), the cycle of collecting the sample and then extracting can be easily and quickly repeated until the extract contains enough of usable DNA. There is no need to ship anything to FTDNA until everything is OK.

Mr. W.

**** Given the plethora of offers on the US market, it is looks like a good business decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X