Delays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delays

I ordered the R1b - M343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack on 1st November and waited just short of a month and then progressed the order. I subsequently saw a delay notice had been posted with the first day of delivery now predicted to be 27th December.

On the 27th December I see the date has magically been changed to 01/10/2018 - 01/24/2018.

What is FTDNA doing and why are they incapable of meeting deadlines they set for themselves? Next time I take my DNA to another company.

Originally posted by Standisher View Post
    I ordered the R1b - M343&M269v2 Backbone SNP Pack on 1st November and waited just short of a month and then progressed the order. I subsequently saw a delay notice had been posted with the first day of delivery now predicted to be 27th December.

On the 27th December I see the date has magically been changed to 01/10/2018 - 01/24/2018.

What is FTDNA doing and why are they incapable of meeting deadlines they set for themselves?
    It could be related to whatever issues they are having with the coordinate system (hg38) they have (and still are) updating to. This has affected Big Y tests and likely SNP packs as well. The deadlines are automated. They will automatically change to the next one if the results haven't been posted when the original deadline has been reached. They don't manually change those.

Another possibility is that the DNA sample has been depleted or was degraded. In which case a new collection kit was set to the address on that kit. So make sure the address in that kit is correct and check your mail! They won't notify you when they send you a new collection kit. Your test will just keep getting delayed until that sample has been sent back.

Next time I take my DNA to another company.
    Good luck with that.

Comment

Thank you for the responses and much appreciated. I now live on a very rural and isolated island with virtually no post service and find it's difficult to receive or send any post. Things are lost all the time.

I have written to FTDNA and asked them to confirm the reason for the extra delay. My experience is that they do respond but in a very customer services sort of way.

Comment

What is FTDNA doing and why are they incapable of meeting deadlines they set for themselves? Next time I take my DNA to another company.
        I'm not sure where you come up with the idea that FTDNA has failed to meet a deadline. FTDNA does not set deadlines, they only set "Expected" date ranges.

If you set a deadline then you need to tell FTDNA that you must have your results by that date. When you do they'll reject your order.

As already stated, good luck with taking your Y-DNA testing to another company with the Y-DNA database FTDNA has.

Comment

People are very loyal to FTDNA and I wish them well of their loyalty.

Comment

I don't think it has much to do with loyalty, just that too many people expect that their results will come in during the expected date range. Big Y remapping will likely have an effect on the SNP pack testing.

Comment

Yes, I am very loyal to FTDNA. They have earned my loyalty. Sure, I get irritated with them from time to time. I wish they would do a better job of communicating with their customers.

I also know that many customers think the "Expected" date range is a guaranteed deliver date, never taking into consideration that the customer may have provided a poor sample or delays may be caused by other reasons.

Comment

I am also very loyal to FTDNA. I haven't had problems with their service. I hate the postal service, but that has nothing to do with them. I also understand that there are reasons for delays that are beyond their control. And when I have an issue on my end, I know I can contact them and expect a good outcome. They may not provide the fastest results, but I trust them more than other companies, and that's far more important to me.

Comment

I always take the expected date ranges with a grain of salt, while I hope for the results in that span of time, I am also expecting the possibilities of far earlier results or results that come in way past the expected date.

As previously mentioned there are factors here that cannot all be blamed on FTDNA, but on the customer providing a poor sample or perhaps other errors made by the postal services or the like.

Comment

I ordered a single SNP in July and it wasn't finished until November. When I inquired earlier about the span of time I was told it was a data entry issue. So yes I also believe they are having some sort of issue with the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                    X