New login page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoberlyDrake View Post
    Just read all the posts on the forum about all the problems and all the things that aren't working, and this is what they do with their time!!!
    In there defence, the new front page could have been cobbled together by an intern with a WYSIWYG editor and some graphic design training, while the (growing) list of other problems with the site requires a small team of people with solid coding skills working on what I assume is a bespoke site with some tricky (apparently delicate) parts.

Comment

Broken with Chrome

I can't even access the site now with Chrome. So, I'm definitely not a fan.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
      <customErrors mode="Off"/>
      </system.web>
      </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
      <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
      </system.web>
      </configuration>

Comment

also no longer able to log in

Originally posted by mlcarson View Post
        I can't even access the site now with Chrome. So, I'm definitely not a fan.

Server Error in '/' Application.
        tag to point to a custom error page URL.
        What have they done now? Same error message. But in Firefox. I can't log in at all. Even these forum pages are now messed up with a giant missing graphic at the top.

I can log in on a library computer but should I have to go to the library wherever I want to check FT results, projects, matches, whatever ? This is very, very bad.

Can someone post here an e-mail address for support? (Since I can't even get to the contact page) BTW on the irony front, the enormous, empty box of nothing at the top of the forum pages has a little "broken" icon that, when moused over, says "Family Tree DNA Delivers"
        abuelita
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by abuelita; 1 July 2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Edge is now broken for me now too. It appears if you stay logged in too long on a browser that the login page no longer functions properly after a timeout occurs. Chrome, IE, and Edge works fine for me on another computer here.

That's some pretty crappy programming to make that happen.

Comment

I am not getting a run time error but I try to log in and it says my log in in incorrect. I know it's not incorrect, because I have it saved in Chrome. I know it's the correct kit # and password.

Comment

I don't seem to be experiencing the technical problems some have, but like other posters, I was perplexed by what GAP may be.

I am also frustrated that I can no longer navigate straight to "resources" (like these forums) from the login page. Instead, I have to click on "back to homepage".

Why aren't the homepage and login page the same thing? Logically, I would expect the homepage to be where you login. Not to have to go back to the homepage from the login page.

Also there's something strange about going "back" to the homepage, if it's not the top hit on Google - i.e. where you end up by default if you do a websearch.

I know I'm being pedantic here, but the top hit on Google takes me to the (new) login page. From there, I have the option of going back to the homepage. But how can I go "back" to somewhere I didn't visit in the first place? And usually, when you click a company's top hit on Google, you go straight to the homepage - not somewhere else.

Comment

What a mess!!! Now I can't sign in either! I get the same error message.

Comment

Using Firefox. Deleted all FTDNA cookies and was able to sign in. But am I going to have to delete cookies before every attempt to sign in? That's twice today.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmason View Post
                    I don't seem to be experiencing the technical problems some have, but like other posters, I was perplexed by what GAP may be.
                    If you are in the UK, I'm sure you know what the phrase "Mind the Gap" means. <LOL>

However, there is something strange going on here. In trying to reply to your post just now, this entire page and the site field disappeared and reverted to a microsoft login page. I'm on Firefox. I had to log in again and access this forum from scratch to compose this reply.

Comment

"Mind the Gap". I don't know how many times I heard that in the Underground when I visited London in 1985. It's like a mantra!

Comment

I just typed the above message and then tried to sign in and this time I got the "Houston" page! I went back and tried to log in again and the sign in page just keeps reappearing after I click "Sign in". When I tried earlier and had problems, I deleted my bookmark as well as my cookies. Right before I tried to sign in just now, I recreated the bookmark, renaming it, and placing it on the toolbar. I don't see how that could cause any problems though. I think I'm giving up for today!

Comment

So far still able to log in this morning - using Chrome. Not tried with anything else.

Ah yes, "Mind the gap!" - I know it well. Sadly, the original "Mind the gap!" (his call has endured longer than his real name) has long since retired and died, to be replaced by a recording.

The next time I met the phrase, which might be more apt, was working for an (American) IT company.

They had a slogan: "Mind the gap!", which basically meant that if you were fortunate enough to get a promotion, you were expected to continue to attend to your OLD tasks, too, so there wouldn't be a "gap" caused by your departure.

Obviously ridiculous, in practice, since someone attempting to do two jobs does neither of them well. And what is the point of a promotion, if it means: "Do everything you did before, and then some - but there won't be any more hours in the week!"?

Anyway, I am reminded of the phrase here. Did someone move onwards and upwards, without making sure there was anyone left behind who could design a website?

Some customers being unable to log in is unforgivable, but even without that, the design doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Random smiling faces don't say anything to me - this could be an ad for anything. Obviously it's supposed to convey: "This site will make you happy", but doesn't say anything at all about how, or even what it does.

Comment

GAP = Group Administrator Page

I use Google Chrome with Windows 10 on a HP laptop. Passwords are stored in Google Chrome. The only problem I have is I have to click on the login button twice.

Comment

I'm aware of what it means now - but only thanks to these forums. If I was a visitor, or an existing customer who doesn't frequent the forums, I still wouldn't know what a GAP was - unless I happened to be a group administrator.

And I've just realised the login page doesn't even display properly on my laptop. How many devices/browsers have they tested for?

My laptop is old, but not yet a museum piece - I have the latest version of Chrome, for goodness sake! I can only see two rows of the smiley faces. For the third row, I can only see the tops of their heads.

Can I scroll down to see the rest of the picture (and whether there's anything more interesting and informative)? No.

Comment

I'm aware of what it means now - but only thanks to these forums. If I was a visitor, or an existing customer who doesn't frequent the forums, I still wouldn't know what a GAP was - unless I happened to be a group administrator.

And I've just realised the login page doesn't even display properly on my laptop. How many devices/browsers have they tested for?

My laptop is old, but not yet a museum piece - I have the latest version of Chrome, for goodness sake! I can only see two rows of the smiley faces. For the third row, I can only see the tops of their heads.

Can I scroll down to see the rest of the picture (and whether there's anything more interesting and informative)? No.
                                Typically these new "improvements" are implemented without adequate testing. Then customer complaints are ignored while tinkering might occur behind the scenes to try to remedy the situation.

You aren't missing anything by being unable to see all of the new smiling faces. There's nothing else of importance to see. In these times, that which is a novelty of design is considered as progress, and often that which was previously basic and formerly reliable becomes rendered dysfunctional.

Comment

Working...
                                X