The "15 minute rule" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "15 minute rule" ?

Recently I posted to this forum and realized I wanted to make a simple, benign addition or revision to my post.

I couldn't do it because the "administrator" and/or through their automated system apparently imposes a "15 minute rule" that prohibits any revision to any existing post.

Other fora in other GG sites (that's the plural of forums) allow a 24 hour window for making revisions to a post.

Are there draconian severe time limits here? If so, I want to know the purpose of this imposition.

Apparently I can post again about this topic and ask why this rule is being implemented in such a short time window. I'm trying to understand the rules here. But I will question why they are what they are. In the interest of compliance of such rules, I expect an explanation for such a strict rule.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. But the questioning of the intent and purpose of any law or rule must be allowed by any legitimate authority if it is to be respected.

I commend you for trying to get a straight answer from FTDNA.

Comment

I can look at making it longer if the general forum would like. It is mainly used as a default for forums to prevent subsequent replied from being out of context or no longer applicable if the previous posts are changed.

-Darren
      Family Tree DNA

Comment

I don't have any strong views about some sort of moderate increase. Personally I don't think I'd use it: when I edit, it's because I've posted directly without using the preview option and then spot an error which I correct within minutes.

I certainly do agree that there needs to be a limit. As an extreme case, there's a poster on the (old) 23andMe forums who deletes his/her entire messages a day or so after posting (just replacing the text with a period, since you can't actually delete) which makes the topics impossible to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          I can look at making it longer if the general forum would like. It is mainly used as a default for forums to prevent subsequent replied from being out of context or no longer applicable if the previous posts are changed.

-Darren
          Family Tree DNA
          Lengthening the time window would be appreciated. I would think that at least an hour or more would be reasonable, as I've seen on some other sites. Sometimes you might realize that you forgot to mention something and it would provide a better opportunity to edit the original post.

Comment

yes, please

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            I would appreciate having more time.

Comment

You can now make edits up to two hours after the post. We can revisit this again should more time be needed.

-Darren
              Family Tree DNA

Comment

Working...
              X