X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they estimate long time, and it comes back early, people are happy

If they est a short time, and it goes longer, people are not so happy

Comment

• In this recent article, "Consumer Genomics Poised for Growth in 2019 as Providers Diversify Offerings," (may not be viewable, as it is a premium site) there is a quote about processing capacity for FTDNA:
      "Family Tree DNA CEO Bennett Greenspan said that his company in 2018 completed updating its lab's microarray pipeline to handle about 200,000 samples per month. The company also completed integration of Illumina's NovaSeq platform for sequencing whole exomes and genomes as part of its consumer genomics services. Family Tree DNA also installed a robotically controlled DNA freezer with a capacity to store 2 million samples, Greenspan said."
      This may be why recent kits are processing in less time than in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Bend David View Post
        If they estimate long time, and it comes back early, people are happy

If they est a short time, and it goes longer, people are not so happy
        Pretty much. "Under promise, over deliver."

If you're told up front that results could take 2 to 8 weeks to process rather than 6 to 8 weeks, and you get it in 3 weeks, or 9 weeks, your experience will differ. Particularly if you were told by FTDNA, rather than some dude on their forums, that it could come as early as 2 weeks, when it takes yours 9 weeks.

Which isn't to mention the users who would complain about being given a 6 week window in which to expect the results. And yes, people would complain about that.

Comment

• So then by what you all are saying you think I would get my YDNA-67 results in the next couple of days ? I was batched on Dec. 31.

Comment

• I'm hoping for that.
            Cousin already has Y-111, waiting for Y-500, and BigY. I know BigY will be later for results

Comment

• Originally posted by dog12008 View Post
              So then by what you all are saying you think I would get my YDNA-67 results in the next couple of days ? I was batched on Dec. 31.
              We aren't FTDNA, we're just "some guys on an internet forum." We DO have a basis for making the claim, but at the same time, we aren't representatives of FTDNA, so if we're wrong, it isn't (much of) a problem for FTDNA.

Edit @North Bend David, you won't see the Y-500 results until the BigY completes. Although if my experience is any indication, there is a roughly half-day to day long window before they'll send out the E-mail notification that the test completed where you will have access to the Y-500 STR results, and even possibly see your terminal SNP change, but not be able to do anything on the SNP side. The E-mail won't go out until all of the test results are available.
              Last edited by bartarl260; 20th January 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone know what batch they are working on now ?

Today marks 3 weeks since my kit was batched 928. So am wondering which batch they might be working on right now ?

Comment

• Originally posted by dog12008 View Post
                  Does anyone know what batch they are working on now ?

Today marks 3 weeks since my kit was batched 928. So am wondering which batch they might be working on right now ?
                  Just FYI, some people who were STR tested in batch 925 evidently had unspecified problems with their test results and are having their STR test results deleted and run again for a second time. Depending on the nature of that (unspecified) problem, this may cause others to experience delays in their own results if it turns out whatever impacted those in batch 925 also impacted them.

So you could still be on the results in 3 to 4 weeks pipeline, or you might be looking at 3 to 4-ish weeks from today or whenever it was they caught the problem. I just know the person I know in batch 925 (his STR results completed on 10 January) received the e-mail Monday morning(21 January).
                  Last edited by bartarl260; 21st January 2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• bartarl260 I had a Y-67 in batch 925 (batched December 19th) and received results January 18th. I find your statement curious, because I had some pretty off the wall results that I wasn't expecting (like my only matches in Ireland, I am not Irish). I actually reached out to Family Tree because I suspected my results were mixed up. Now I wonder if your statement may apply to me. How did you hear of this issue?

Comment

• Your matches may be Ulster Scots.

Comment

• Owenc , the bigger issue is, I have 0 surname matches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jyarbrough01 View Post
                          bartarl260 I had a Y-67 in batch 925 (batched December 19th) and received results January 18th. I find your statement curious, because I had some pretty off the wall results that I wasn't expecting (like my only matches in Ireland, I am not Irish). I actually reached out to Family Tree because I suspected my results were mixed up. Now I wonder if your statement may apply to me. How did you hear of this issue?
                          He received an email from FTDNA and forwarded it to me(I paid for his going from no STR tests to a BigY, he was a surname + atDNA match that we're reasonably certain connects in Europe, just don't know on which line; looks like I should avoid gambling in the future j/k).

The Haplogroup assignment he had was a surprise(We're R1A, he was predicted Haplogroup E by STR results), but it IS one known to exist in that area, so I doubt his results will change much, but we won't know until we see the new results as we have no idea what the nature of the issue was resulting in his sample being retested.

Comment

• As expected

Big Y-500 HiYNGS 915 02/06/2019 - 02/20/2019 Results for your Big Y test have been delayed. We have updated your predicted completion date, and action by you is not usually required. Note that predicted dates are an estimate and subject to lab volume and quality control.
                            Big Y-500 Y500 915

Comment

• Originally posted by Slam View Post
                              As expected

Big Y-500 HiYNGS 915 02/06/2019 - 02/20/2019 Results for your Big Y test have been delayed. We have updated your predicted completion date, and action by you is not usually required. Note that predicted dates are an estimate and subject to lab volume and quality control.
                              Big Y-500 Y500 915
                              I’m in the same batch and also received this message today.

Comment

• I just got my YDNA-67 results. I was batch 928 which was batched on December 31. I wasn't expecting it till between Feb 11 and Feb 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X