No announcement yet.

Current Y-DNA batch# ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what the current batch number is; perhaps another forum member does. Where did you see that it takes 2-3 weeks for results after batching? Most tests take at least twice as long as that, and only rarely do some results come in so quickly (mostly Family Finder). Batches are not composed of any one type of test; batches are groups of kits of all types of tests (Y-DNA, mtDNA, Family Finder, etc.). The various kits in a batch are then processed by type, and processing for some types of tests takes longer than others. See the following links in the FTDNA Learning Center for "What are weekly test batches? When do batches close?" (please note the "Note" on this page), and "After I return the kit, how long will results take?"

The second link indicates that tests such as your Y-37 will likely take 6 to 8 weeks, so the estimate of late February is in that range. Your results may be done before that time; but there can be delays, depending on the sample quality, amount of kits that need to be processed, and sometimes other lab conditions. Patience is always key with DNA results, and genealogy in general.

Comment

• Well the two week guide is based on reading other posters batch dates and the date of release of results.

None of the the last few batches have taken 6 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by btt111 View Post
        Y-37 Test Batch 917
        Batched 11/21/18
        Completed 12/14/18
        3 weeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Outis View Post
          Y-37 Batch 926
          Batched 12/24/2018
          Completed 01/10/2019
          2 weeks.

Comment

• All I can say, from experience, is it will take as long as it takes, and you need to accept that. Certainly if the results are not ready by the time shown on both your Order History page, and the "how long will results take" page in the Learning center (late February, 6-8 weeks), then contact FTDNA Customer Service to see what's up.

I noticed that the two results you posted were batched and/or in process before Christmas, so were not in a batch that is no doubt larger from kits received for the holidays. I wouldn't expect a kit that was batched in early January, after a huge sale, to process as quickly as one sent in when there was a lighter load for the laboratory.

Comment

• Hi,
              I am awaiting my Y-DNA results. Hopefully it's sooner then the dates. But if not I guess I can wait that long lol..

The batch number is 928 and the date of batched was on
              Batched 12/31/2018
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA1-12 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA13-25 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA26-37 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA38-47 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA48-60 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
              Y-DNA67 Y-DNA61-67 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019

Comment

• Originally posted by dog12008 View Post
                Hi,
                I am awaiting my Y-DNA results. Hopefully it's sooner then the dates. But if not I guess I can wait that long lol..

The batch number is 928 and the date of batched was on
                Batched 12/31/2018
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA1-12 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA13-25 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA26-37 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA38-47 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA48-60 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                Y-DNA67 Y-DNA61-67 Markers 928 02/11/2019 - 02/25/2019
                My cousin's BigY is in that batch, too! He already had tested to Y-111

Comment

• Originally posted by North Bend David View Post

My cousin's BigY is in that batch, too! He already had tested to Y-111
                  Awesome! I am hoping my results come sooner then expected. I am very interested to see what I will find out.

Comment

• Anyone else with Batch 928 ? I am hoping I get my results sooner than the estimated dates, well would be nice lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by KATM View Post
                      I don't know what the current batch number is; perhaps another forum member does. Where did you see that it takes 2-3 weeks for results after batching? Most tests take at least twice as long as that, and only rarely do some results come in so quickly (mostly Family Finder). Batches are not composed of any one type of test; batches are groups of kits of all types of tests (Y-DNA, mtDNA, Family Finder, etc.). The various kits in a batch are then processed by type, and processing for some types of tests takes longer than others. See the following links in the FTDNA Learning Center for "What are weekly test batches? When do batches close?" (please note the "Note" on this page), and "After I return the kit, how long will results take?"

The second link indicates that tests such as your Y-37 will likely take 6 to 8 weeks, so the estimate of late February is in that range. Your results may be done before that time; but there can be delays, depending on the sample quality, amount of kits that need to be processed, and sometimes other lab conditions. Patience is always key with DNA results, and genealogy in general.

It took two weeks for me and as I saw on this forum, it's not unusual

Comment

• Originally posted by KATM View Post
                        I don't know what the current batch number is; perhaps another forum member does. Where did you see that it takes 2-3 weeks for results after batching? Most tests take at least twice as long as that, and only rarely do some results come in so quickly (mostly Family Finder). Batches are not composed of any one type of test; batches are groups of kits of all types of tests (Y-DNA, mtDNA, Family Finder, etc.). The various kits in a batch are then processed by type, and processing for some types of tests takes longer than others. See the following links in the FTDNA Learning Center for "What are weekly test batches? When do batches close?" (please note the "Note" on this page), and "After I return the kit, how long will results take?"

It depends on the specific tests in question. Going from posts on this forum, and the three people I've had STR tests done on, typical turn around for any thing up to the Y111 STR test will typically complete at 3 weeks +/- 1 week unless there was a problem. Family Finder having results as quickly as 2 weeks is very common, but slower speeds happen too.

SNP testing (beyond the FF Test) on the other hand, is very prone to seeing delays, and not just for Y-DNA.

My BigY test took just shy of 5 months to come back, I had a Backbone SNP pack I'd ordered prior to Big Y which took nearly 12 weeks to complete. For people who are R1A(predominately Eastern European/Persian/Indian), those kinds of turnarounds on Y-DNA SNP tests are fairly common, with the Middle Eastern and Indian groups often running up to and beyond a year.

On the flip side, I have seen people post on the forums who were R1B(mostly Western European) who reported that they had BigY results returned in less than a month. But when you step back and realize most of the "colonial stock" for North America, FTDNA's primary market demographic, is very overwhelmingly Western European. The reason why they can process them so quickly is reasonably evident. It is more likely that several "reasonably close cousins" have already tested, so Quality Control isn't having to work as hard on vetting the results because the results being seen aren't new. But if you belong to a population group that isn't as well represented, and who doesn't have a large number of "close cousins" who have already tested, be prepared to wait awhile for results.

And by "reasonably close cousins" in the case of Y-DNA and SNPs, you might be talking about people out at the 10th to 16th cousin range -- or possibly even further out. So just because you don't know anybody who has Y-DNA SNP tested within your extended family doesn't mean you're guaranteed to be heading out into a great unknown. Although some will end up there all the same, at least for awhile.

Comment

• So I can expect to receive my Y-DNA 37 results within the next few days then?

Comment

• Originally posted by Owenc View Post
                            So I can expect to receive my Y-DNA 37 results within the next few days then?
                            If your test batched on the 7th, I'd wager on sometime between the 28th and the 31st. I'd be slightly surprised if you're still waiting come Friday, 1 Feb(without there being a problem with the sample).

It's possible that it could happen that they need the full time allotment, and FTDNA is hedging its own promises going with being better to under promise and over deliver on that front. Something could happen, but the long term trend says probably not.

Comment

• Originally posted by bartarl260 View Post

If your test batched on the 7th, I'd wager on sometime between the 28th and the 31st. I'd be slightly surprised if you're still waiting come Friday, 1 Feb(without there being a problem with the sample).

It's possible that it could happen that they need the full time allotment, and FTDNA is hedging its own promises going with being better to under promise and over deliver on that front. Something could happen, but the long term trend says probably not.
                              So the six week wait time is excessive?

Comment

• 6 weeks is the industry standard and depending on laboratory volume it could take that long, or longer. They've sold a lot of test kits, and have little control over when they come back. Typical volumes of kits being returned or given additional testing has evidently not been stressing their capacity to process them for most of the last year. As such, results have been coming back weeks ahead of projections for everything except "specialized SNP Testing." Where BigY is still considered specialized at the present time, but even its processing time can be wildly varied depending on other factors.

Comment

Working...
                                X