My Y-DNA Group Project Is Missing Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Y-DNA Group Project Is Missing Results

The surname project I joined when I signed up here has various surnames of either Ring or names beginning with Ring*. This group is also described as having the surname of my earliest known ancestor, Ringwald.

Now, there are supposed to be 58 members of this project, yet to date only 32 DNA results have been posted. The result page says it was last updated on April 19, 2016.

Now I suppose of the 58 members, there might be some Family Finder people who may have joined the Ring & Ring* project because they had such a surname even though they didn't submit to a Y-Dna test. However only 32 results out of 58 members seems to be rather low.

And what is even more frustrating is that the results page of the Ring & Ring* project only list entries with the kit number and most distant paternal ancestor. If the paternal ancestor is not given, it is marked as "Not Provided", therefore there is no way to know the surname of who we are trying to match. You would think that they could put the surname of the person who submitted the test if the earliest known patriarch was not provided. Basically they are anonymous.

So how can I know if there are really any Ringwald's who have tested here and have results here? I didn't match any Ringwald's, but then again, I am not sure if their results are here. They haven't submitted their results to ysearch.org either.

Last edited by Dabney Carr; 15 June 2016, 08:16 PM.

I've noticed that if you are not logged into your account when viewing the Project yDNA results pages, you will not see members who have selected to have their results shown to "Other Members Only." As this is default option these days, you may miss seeing some results.

Are you logged into your account when viewing the result page?

It is really up to the person testing wether they include MDKA information or not.
    You could try emailing the Admin and asking if any Ringwalds are in the project, have they tested yDNA etc..

Does the project have an Activity Feed where you can post a query? Not all projects have converted to the newer "Groups" webpages.
    Last edited by rivergirl; 15 June 2016, 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

If you are trying to find people that match you, they should appear in your match list. That is why the members of that project are so different from one another. They are not all related through their Y lines. There could be different lineages with similar or the same surname but have no real relation to each other. Or some are due to an NPE in the past.

Some members do not take Y-DNA tests, such as women who have an interest in the project. Some projects don't have the results public, so that might explain why some people join for the results in spite of no Y-DNA test. Other project results are public but some members have their results set to be seen only by other project members. Which is another reason they might join a project.

It is frustrating when people don't put their most distant known ancestor. Some of them might not know theirs or their most distant one is a living relative. I bet many just don't see that it would be helpful to have it there so they don't put it or don't know how.

You could contact the project admin and ask him/her. Just know that they won't give you info on those members but are willing to pass along your email and a message you may have. Some members don't have working email addresses so there are not a lot of options.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
        Are you logged into your account when viewing the result page?

It is really up to the person testing wether they include MDKA information or not.
        You could try emailing the Admin and asking if any Ringwalds are in the project, have they tested yDNA etc..

Does the project have an Activity Feed where you can post a query? Not all projects have converted to the newer "Groups" webpages.
        Thank you for your reply. I will try to email the admin.
        The project is hosted at http://www.worldfamilies.net and I was logged in when I checked results.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
          If you are trying to find people that match you, they should appear in your match list. That is why the members of that project are so different from one another. They are not all related through their Y lines. There could be different lineages with similar or the same surname but have no real relation to each other. Or some are due to an NPE in the past.
          Thank you for your input. If they exist, they were not among my matches. I did match, but not exactly, others with the surname Boehm or its variants, so maybe there was a NPE some 300-400 years ago. However I do know that my paternal pedigree is correct going back 5 or 6 generations to 1760 through autosomal matches.

Comment

Still I get the feeling the group is being neglected.

I join the group - no welcome message.
            Submit my pedigree - it doesn't get posted.
            Get my Y-DNA results - they don't get posted.

Comment

Okay, I contacted an administrator and he got back to me already. He said there was one other Ringwald in the group besides me, and he only did the Family Finder test.

I would not expect to match him via family finder as my family name got spelled slightly differently when my ancestor came to America in the 1750's, and this Ringwald would probably be like a 10th cousin or something.

Comment

Working...
              X