FF - old result match ranges changed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF - old result match ranges changed

I was surprised to see today on my first page of FF results that one match (one of the few known relatives I have), suddenly went to my 3rd best match (of over 1000 total matches) whereas previously they were probably ranked 100th or lower.

The longest matching segment changed from 14.82cM to 28.72cM. I looked at an older downloaded list of matches to confirm this. On chr16 previously there was one block of 14.82 plus another close by of 10.52. It appears the entire area has been collapsed into one segment, at least for reporting.

I see some other ones have changed too. Was there a policy change or a change in algorithms? I would like an explanation. Apologies if I missed it in the forums elsewhere.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Archdale View Post
    On chr16 previously there was one block of 14.82 plus another close by of 10.52. It appears the entire area has been collapsed into one segment, at least for reporting.

I see some other ones have changed too. Was there a policy change or a change in algorithms?
    Yes, the algorithm was improved, and some segments that the old algorithm had thought were two or three separate but close-by segments have been properly combined into one.

I see this in my father's chromosome 6 where his segment lengths now conform to my matches phased from him as well as what GEDmatch told us. Specifically, our two Polish matches now both show with the longest segment 16.87599 cM, representing one continuous segment. Before this week, one of the two Poles had shown with the longest segment 9.20013 cM sandwiched between two other separately-listed segments:
    "My father","Polish match #2",6,25580766,31344513,2.05,4600
    "My father","Polish match #2",6,31380136,39132734,9.20,4600
    "My father","Polish match #2",6,39337499,41735041,4.91,765

From the beginning, Family Finder had shown me matching this person on a continuous stretch:
    "Me","Polish match #2",6,25580766,41735041,16.88,10165
    Now this person matches my father in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
      Yes, the algorithm was improved, and some segments that the old algorithm had thought were two or three separate but close-by segments have been properly combined into one.
      Thanks for the confirmation.

Comment

Working...
      X