Current FF batch #?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One FF received from batch 683, the other is nowhere to be seen

One test was delayed once but then processed and results posted, the other one has been delayed twice (so far.) When I wrote in, it was "somewhere around the tenth" then "sometime this week" and now it is the weekend so we know that isn't happening.

I will never refer anyone to this company. I thought I did enough research but apparently not. If the test is not finished on time, I'll write to the BBB and Yelp as well. This is not a feasible business practice.

Even received a response that their current test is what is causing some of this backlog. The sale they started when so many of us were waiting on delayed tests.... Wonderful.

Comment

• I WOULD recommend this company.

A good job is not necessarily a fast job. I understand the anticipation and excitement of getting results and matches, but this isn't a fast food restaurant. It's a highly technical process and they want to get it right.

The reasons I recommend FtDNA:
      -time to receive results is about the same across the companies
      -you don't need to pay annual subscriptions to contact your matches or see their trees
      -FtDNA has a chromosome browser
      -you can upload FamilyFinder to Gedmatch
      -FtDNA keeps your sample, so you can do other tests later
      -FtDNA can test for FamilyFinder, mtDNA and Y-DNA - you can start with one and choose to have the other tests later, usually using the same sample you've already sent

Comment

• Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
        I WOULD recommend this company.

A good job is not necessarily a fast job. I understand the anticipation and excitement of getting results and matches, but this isn't a fast food restaurant. It's a highly technical process and they want to get it right.

The reasons I recommend FtDNA:
        -time to receive results is about the same across the companies
        -you don't need to pay annual subscriptions to contact your matches or see their trees
        -FtDNA has a chromosome browser
        -you can upload FamilyFinder to Gedmatch
        -FtDNA keeps your sample, so you can do other tests later
        -FtDNA can test for FamilyFinder, mtDNA and Y-DNA - you can start with one and choose to have the other tests later, usually using the same sample you've already sent

All commercial companies have their benefits/drawbacks, but please, consider this. I am not sending more samples to FTDNA unless i get the results of the four people that they are testing now. Also, some of my relatives are very old - 89 or so. Which means that I am now testing them through other commercial companies. No one is going to wait till FTDNA finishes its job, it is a good company indeed but life dictates priorities.

Comment

• Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
          I WOULD recommend this company.

Nobody has claimed it is a fast food restaurant, but it is a business.

The problem is with managing customer expectations, which is not done well by advertising an overly rosy timeframe in which you state you will provide the service you were paid to perform. Imagine if I, the customer, asked them to begin processing my sample while I delayed my payment for their service. I bet that wouldn't be so acceptable to them, but they can delay their side of the deal with zero consequences.

23andme provided me with results in almost exactly a month, and my friend who chose Ancestry received results in just over a month. My parents, who used 23andme, received results in just over three weeks.

When I ordered from FTDNA, The website stated the Family Finder test was running "on time," which meant a 3-5 week time in which service would be completed. That would have meant a completion time by the end of July at the very latest. Now the "expected" (a misnomer I have learned) window runs into September.

As a business, if you cannot deliver on a stated description of what you provide within a given timeframe, you should either change the process that is causing delays or provide a more honest description of timeframe so consumers can be better informed when making a decision to purchase.

Comment

• Originally posted by kora View Post
            All commercial companies have their benefits/drawbacks, but please, consider this. I am not sending more samples to FTDNA unless i get the results of the four people that they are testing now. Also, some of my relatives are very old - 89 or so. Which means that I am now testing them through other commercial companies. No one is going to wait till FTDNA finishes its job, it is a good company indeed but life dictates priorities.
            If you are testing elderly relatives wouldn't it be better to wait and test with the company that will preserve the DNA sample for other tests? Surely its worth waiting a few weeks more rather than risking not having another sample to send if you want another test at a later date.

Also, when I have tested elderly relatives mouth swabs are a lot easier to request than spit samples!

Comment

• Another Monday. Nada, Nothing, as usual. Still waiting on FF batch 683. If you call and get through they give you this standard we are busy speech. Emails are never returned. They are pushing sales when they can't get done what they have committed to. They are acting like a egg company selling eggs, but they only have one chicken trying to keep up with production.

Comment

• Got my MtDNA results from Batch 678 today

Got emails saying my results are ready. Going to go look at them now. :-)

Comment

• Waiting is hard, but remember Ancestry.com has trashed DNA samples in the past

I hate waiting too, and my Dad was ill when he tested so I was anxious to get results and and find out where his people came from so that I could tell him.

I originally tried at AncestryDNA, but the saliva test did not work for him (likely due to problems caused by radiation treatment) so I looked for a cheek swab test and found FTDNA. I did have along wait for Y and mtDNA, FF was quicker.

I've since found out that Ancestry had several other DNA tests before their current AncestryDNA autosomal test. They had Y and mitochondrial and also an autosomal test from an acquired company. From what I read, they trashed those samples and now people who tested their relatives have no way to retest people who passed away.

They were begging Ancestry to return their samples but to no avail. I won't test with Ancestry because of that. Also, you have to have to keep your subscription if you want access. I use them for the paper side, but no way will I risk my genetic genealogical future with them. Plus I keep my paper trail on my computer, and backed up to alternate devices. I wish I could do the same with DNA samples also.

I like the 25 year pledge to keep our samples that FTDNA makes and encourage them to highlight this issue for prospective customers--and also emphasize using their feature to provide a genealogical beneficiary so their family can benefit from their foresight in the future.

I would like to see the beneficiary feature get more exposure and be expanded to explicitly list several names with contact info including multiple emails, phone numbers, and physical addresses.

if you read Roberta Estes' blog, DNA-explained.com you have probably seen that she has her mothers autosomal DNA tested only because FTDNA saved the sample--so when the new autosomal test was released, she was able to test her mother.

Genetic genealogy isn't just about the past--you need to look forward to the future so you ancestors don't encounter the brick walls and roadblocks we face--you want them to find your records along with all the other work you did and the results you found.
                  Last edited by GenealogyKeeper; 16th August 2016, 12:36 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• You have to wonder why they would have a big sale on FF if they are running so far behind. I can only think of one reason, and if it's the real reason, it doesn't bode well for the future. Maybe they couldn't sell enough tests to fill up the plate, or whatever it's called, that they run the samples on. It's expensive, so they don't run it until it's filled, as I understand. I could be wrong.

Weeks go by anymore without my mother getting any new matches at 23andMe and when she does get new ones it's only 3 or 4. She hasn't had any new matches here since July 28. Ancestry has really slowed down too and when she does get new ones there none of them have trees.

The market for DNA tests is probably quite limited and interest may be dying down.

And unfortunately true genealogists aren't jumping in. I saw a survey somewhere a few months back and less than 50% of researchers had done a DNA test.

Comment

• From kit numbers I have purchased at various intervals from June last year to August this year (assuming they assign numbers sequentially) I don't think that sale of kits has slowed.

What's a "true genealogist"?

Comment

• Current FF batch #?

As of August 17, 2016, the following tests have delays in normal turnaround times:
                        Family Finder – 7 to 8 weeks

This is a quote from Family Tree DNA FAQS. Last week the delay was 6-7 weeks. In terms of numbers of kits being processed based on kits I have ordered, it was running about 10,000/ month between the DNA Day sale and the Father's Day sale.
                        Until July 19, 2016 all 4 of my family FF kits were receiving at least 30 new matches per month, but since then they have only received 1-2 matches each in total.
                        I have a kit in batch 683 and one in 684. They both received their Y-DNA results early, but the FF results have been delayed. For the kit in batch 683 it has been 7 weeks.
                        Last edited by Snarleybbarley; 17th August 2016, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snarleybbarley View Post
                          As of August 17, 2016, the following tests have delays in normal turnaround times:
                          Family Finder – 7 to 8 weeks

I have a kit in batch 683 and one in 684. They both received their Y-DNA results early, but the FF results have been delayed. For the kit in batch 683 it has been 7 weeks.
                          My batch is in 681. I'm still waiting for FF results. I received both Y-111 and mtDNA on time, so I'll give credit where it's due for that.

Comment

• I hope the pace of FamilyFinder results pick up a little. A terminally ill relative expressed a desire to test today. Funny how most of the people I've tried to discuss this with didn't want to, and then someone that I didn't raise this with because I didn't feel it was my place to ask them spontaneously mentioned it.

A kit for someone else arrived in my letterbox today. Change of plan.

Comment

• Current FF batch #?

I just want to give credit to FTDNA where it's due. My brother's FF results from batch 683 came in today

Comment

• My FF batch 683 showed up today also, however only part. The origins part is not working.

Comment

Working...
                                X