Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ilarrain View Post
    8 weeks and counting...
    My predicted completion date has been updated again, delaying my results to 09/07/2016 - 09/21/2016. That's 10-12 weeks from the time it was batched. I'm really frustrated by this company. It looks like there's no communication between the support team and the lab.

Comment

• Originally posted by ilarrain View Post
      My predicted completion date has been updated again, delaying my results to 09/07/2016 - 09/21/2016. That's 10-12 weeks from the time it was batched. I'm really frustrated by this company. It looks like there's no communication between the support team and the lab.
      Batch 681 and the same delay. Ordered 5/25, batched 6/09. Not a peep from them other than the standard delay notice. So the process will have taken from Memorial Day weekend to beyond Labor Day? Makes me regret ordering the Y SNP pack that I did.

Comment

• Batch 685 - got full mito, but for some reason, FF is delayed again. I wish we got an explanation.

Comment

• Email reply to my query:
          Hello,

Thank you for contacting FTDNA. I apologize for the delays in testing. These can happen due to lab volume and quality control. Since tests are run in batches, it is likely that the issue is with another sample.

Thank you for your patience. Please let me know if you have any questions.

That would make sense considering that I believe my sample was OK based on the mtDNA and Y DNA results I've already received.

Hope this helps at least some of you who are delayed like me.

Comment

• Received FF results today.

Comment

• Batch 688 - My FF match list just came back! Just waiting for my sisters MyOrigins and downloads to be available My batch wasn't due back until next week.

Comment

• Batch 683- Y-37 test delayed 9-7 to 9-21 I believe the 3rd delay. My FF and y-dna were both batched on 6-29 as 683. FF was delayed but came in 7-28 which was earlier than the secondary expected date. So not a bad turn around there. Any recent batch 683 y results received recently by anyone?
                Last edited by Dbowman; 29th August 2016, 11:58 AM. Reason: Needed to add dates and details

Comment

• I'm batch 691

Batched 8/24 Expected 9/28 - 10/12

I am hoping I am a lucky one that gets them early though. Can't wait.

Comment

• I just got some 686 MtDNA a few days ago, and am waiting for some 687 Y.

Comment

• I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for a fast y-dna test. They seem on average to be 4-8 weeks behind schedule.

Comment

• Wow. Family FInder test back in 3 Weeks!! Batch 689

I didn't think I would see the results for at least 6-8 weeks. The estimate they gave was like Sept 21 thru sometime in October.

It arrived on Aug 9, batched on Aug 10, and I got the email today on Aug 31.

BTW. Someone I know tested at Ancestry, test arrived back at ancestry on Aug 3, no results yet! I know it is hard to wait--it feels like forever, especially the first kit--but I've been very pleased with the service. And I like that they won't be selling my DNA without my consent.

Of course there are changes and features I'd like to see, and I've submitted both requests and issues, but overall I am pleased.

I also appreciate the guaranteed storage of the sample for 25 years. Who knows what test or enhancement will come up next? Autosomal DNA is fairly new. When I read Roberta Estes account of getting autosomal results with the new test after her mother had passed, it really hit home.

It isn't just the past I care about, it is the future--we'll be someone's ancestors one day--and won't it be great that I have beneficiaries named on my account to carry on the search and pay it forward to future generations. They may be testing my DNA with a new test, or those I have banked from my family members.

So I'm happy I got my test in 3 weeks and I'm happy I tested here. If it had been 10 weeks or so, I would still be happy

Thank you FTDNA! Great Job

BTW--if you are waiting, you can get ready now
                        • Document what you know of your family tree, do research and searches to fill it out further
                        • Expand beyond your direct line, you'll find clues on the records you find for cousins, siblings, great uncles and aunts etc.
                        • Upload a GEDCOM of your full tree--don't forget to fill in dates AND locations
                        • Upload your surname list with locations and surnames.
                        • Enter your most distant direct paternal relative with location/birth/death dates--or whatever you know (NOTE this should be a MALE--your father, your grandfather, etc. the furthest paternal relative you know on this direct surname line)
                        • Enter your most distant direct maternal relative with location/birth/death dates--or whatever you know (NOTE this should be a FEMALE--your mother, your grandmother, etc. the furthest woman you know on your maternal line)
                        • Fill out your beneficiary information, with contact info and alternates. Just in case!
                        • See if any other relatives are interested in testing--having other known relatives can really help find matches
                        • Study up on autosomal DNA and how to match--webinars, blogs, YouTube videos
                        • Get ready to have fun!

The only thing more frustrating than waiting for results is getting a new match that is close, but has no information in the profile, no surnames listed, and no family tree! Some don't even list a name for the match, really!

Make it easy for your matches to find out where you fit in their tree by doing your homework and showing it!

You will be more likely to be contacted if it looks like you provide information and are ready to collaborate.

If you have done your homework, you'll also be better prepared to contact your matches. Don't be afraid to reach out, but try to have information ready to share, this is a two-way street!

Of course since I got my results so early, I don't have my account set up! But I will get to work on it now. And I am prepared to have fun!

I hope you all get your results soon and that at least one of you turns out to be my long lost relative!

Comment

• In case others need another data point.

I had a Family Finder test from batch 690 (Aug 17) completed yesterday (Aug 31). If it matters, the sample was received by FTDNA back in March.

Comment

• My Family FInder times were shorter than I remembered!

Absolutely, it happens--times definitely vary--but it seems we only hear the ones who have been delayed, and humans tend to remember the negative things better, like don't taunt the bear or bad things will happen, it is in our genes :-) So I thought I'd introduce the good news and what people should do while they are waiting.

It is so frustrating to get those matches with little or no information. They could be so valuable, but if they haven't entered a family tree, or just their immediate family, you can' t tell.

I don't think new test takers understand that you still need to build a paper trail through documenting relationships and establishing dates to take advantage of your DNA results. Traditional paper trails and genetic genealogy are the two sides of the solution that finds your ancestors. Together they have given me results I never expected I could achieve.

Looking at my times, Family Finder has been quick, although I thought some of them were longer! I did have had longer waits for mtDNA and YDNA, but my understanding is that is expected. I know that there can be retesting or delays, but I guess I've been very lucky.

Now I have another YDNA and 4 Family Finder kits to distribute to relatives--loved that great sale price! So I'll have more data points in the future. I thought sharing my times might help others.

For reference, my times have been:

Kit 1

Ordered
                            07/24/2014
                            Sent
                            07/25/2014
                            Received by Lab
                            08/29/2014
                            Family Finder
                            Ordered
                            07/24/2014
                            Batched
                            09/04/2014
                            Completed
                            09/23/2014
                            mtFull Sequence
                            Ordered
                            07/24/2014
                            Batched
                            09/04/2014
                            Completed
                            11/18/2014

Y-DNA67*
                            Ordered
                            07/24/2014
                            Batched
                            09/04/2014
                            Completed
                            10/17/2014
                            Completed
                            10/22/2014
                            Y-DNA111
                            Ordered
                            12/24/2014
                            Batched
                            12/25/2014
                            Completed
                            12/26/2014

Kit 2
                            Ordered
                            12/24/2014
                            Sent
                            12/25/2014
                            Received by Lab
                            02/13/2015
                            Family Finder
                            Ordered
                            12/24/2014
                            Batched
                            02/18/2015
                            Completed
                            03/20/2015
                            mtFull Sequence
                            Ordered
                            12/24/2014
                            Batched
                            02/18/2015
                            Completed
                            05/19/2015

Kit 3

Ordered
                            09/16/2015
                            Sent
                            09/17/2015
                            Received by Lab
                            10/28/2015
                            Family Finder
                            Ordered
                            09/16/2015
                            Batched
                            10/28/2015
                            Completed
                            11/25/2015

Kit 4
                            Ordered
                            04/26/2016
                            Sent
                            04/27/2016
                            Received by Lab
                            08/09/2016
                            Family Finder
                            Ordered
                            04/26/2016
                            Batched
                            08/10/2016
                            Completed
                            08/31/2016
                            Completed
                            09/01/2016

Hope that helps people plan. Sorry it was so long, but some kits had multiple tests. I removed the duplicate completion dates within the kits.

Comment

• Batch 689

Originally posted by GenealogyKeeper View Post
                              Wow. Family Finder test back in 3 Weeks!! Batch 689
                              I'm in Batch 689 too but not for FF but for FullmtDNA and Y111, so I guess these take longer anyway so I'm waiting (although the FF news is making me wonder if I should get excited about early mtDNA or Y results appearing imminently...)

That aside, my sample with 23andMe doesn't have sufficient DNA on the first attempt :/

Comment

• I ordered a kit on Aug 3 and had it sent to a cousin in CA. She did it almost right away and FTDNA received on the 12. They gave me an estimated date of somewhere around Oct. 19. I was absolutely astonished when she appeared on my mother's match list 2 days ago! I just got the email about her results today. Fastest I've ever seen!

Comment

Working...
                                X