Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ivovh View Post

Well another promise they couldnt keep
    And today, when I once again tried to inquire about our kits in 941 and 946, as soon as I typed in the question the response in 'chat' was:
    "Sorry, we aren't online at the moment."

That's at 1:05p EDT on a Monday. And I was very polite!

Update: I finally got a response on chat, and they said 5-7 business days before FF results (from 741) will be posted. They've said that before. And before. And before. And once again they would not tell me the reason for the 2 month delay when the lab work was supposedly finished long ago. I hope other people are questioning and that I'm not the voice in the wilderness.
    Last edited by abuelita; 15th April 2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Wow. My Family Finder kit 947 is now 2 months (Feb 16) and it looks like according to abuelita's post I have another six weeks to go. That will be 3 1/2 months for a Family Finder kit.

Comment

• batch 942 here which (see previous pages) had already been moved back twice when i wrote to support last week. i was assured then that FF results would be uploaded by the end of the week, so that would have been sunday at the latest. i wrote again yesterday and just now received this answer:

"A majority of kits have posted results over the weekend, but there are a few that are just posing an additional challenge in uploading, and our IT is working on it. They notified us that the remaining kits should have their results within 7-10 days once they clear this additional hurdle."

seriously? as regards IT, one set of results is no different than the next, no? what am i missing here (except the results)???

Comment

• Originally posted by Kohlehydrat View Post
          "A majority of kits have posted results over the weekend, but there are a few that are just posing an additional challenge in uploading, and our IT is working on it. They notified us that the remaining kits should have their results within 7-10 days once they clear this additional hurdle."

seriously? as regards IT, one set of results is no different than the next, no? what am i missing here (except the results)???
          Now have received the same "A majority of kits have posted results ..." message. It came from "Ashley" just two hours after this one from "Jeannie"

"Our Family Finder test has had a general lab delay on publishing the results. You should have those results in the next 7-10 business days."

I vote for Jeannie as the truth teller.

Comment

• I manage some 15 Family Finders that are still waiting to be posted, all in Batch 944. Only 5 other have already finished, one of which showed a "test failure" (and I'm not going to get my money back). Last time I heard from support (Ashley, April 8th), they told me:

"As far as we've been told, this is strictly a issue being worked on by IT, so it does not involve a new chip or changes to the results."
            But those few results I have been getting almost surely are from a new chip (raw data includes other SNPs than before and "GSA" string repeats in it).

As a programmer, I can understand the unpredictablity of software development deadlines and of order in which results get posted, but why don't they publicly acknowledge that a new chip has arrived and that they had to nearly freeze the database due to necessary related changes? Two days after my last e-mail, when I asked them to forward my message to the management, they at least put a notice on the relevant page in the Learning Center. But again, that only acknowledges a delay, not the reasons for it, and even the 8 weeks have already passed for some delayed kits.

If this does not get solved quickly, I really won't feel comfortable recommending FTDNA to members of my genetic genealogy group during the upcoming DNA Day sale. I am putting aside now the partial incompatibility between old and new chip results that we were not warned about in advance – basically getting a different product than the one which we were buying.

Comment

• Originally posted by blahma View Post
              As a programmer (...)
              i'm wondering, does it make any sense to you that indvidual kits would need more tender loving care from IT at upload than others (as i have been told, see above)? under what circumstances would that even be possible?

Comment

• I submitted mine to ancestry and familytreedna the same day. Both companies received it the same day. Mine is batch 944. I have had 3 delays now. I received AncestryDNA results on the day I was told to expect it. I will be mentioning this in all my genealogy classes and all the members of genealogy chapters that I know. I thought I would have problems with ancestry not familytreedna.

Comment

• Kohlehydrat: First, we were told that, for various reasons, results are not necessary ready in the order of batching. And if they already have the results for all or most of the kits (which seems to be the case), some might be "more compatible" with the existing data than others, by the very nature of each sample producing different results. Nobody says that those results we have already got are definitive – perhaps the matches and the ethnicities have all been calculated based on the small subset shared with the old data and because in some cases there were enough matches even with this limitation, they might decided to release those results early and will add more information later as it becomes available. Also recalculating matches for each two kits in the database takes computation effort and this might be done in clusters or to some (possibly even arbitrary) extent so far, particularly taking into consideration the fact that they must be experimenting now and it does not make sense to always recompute the whole database again after any small change/improvement in the algorithm. (I'm now putting aside the supposition they might be testing new algorithms on live data.) Then there are also such things as A/B testing (look it up, most web services use it today when testing new features) and the limited amount of released results might be intentional – to test the actual results and reactions in a situation when they are still deemed imperfect, before everyone else's data get released, what, in cause of a fault of some kind, could easily create a storm that would devastate their customer support and make even more people mad than are now. Still, this is no excuse for their bad communication.

scpalm: Frankly, it is not fair to compare the processing times of a lab that is in full fling with a lab that is currently transitioning to a new chip and making the necessary adaptations. The actual problem is they did not give it any publicity so it caught us by surprise. Would you have not submitted your sample if you knew in advance that a delay was coming, and would you be complaining like this if they announced a delay shortly after you had sent the sample? Once this problem is overcome, I am sure they will get back to regular processing times. If you too would like to let them know that what they have been doing is unprofessional and hurts their public image, I suggest you do it by writing to customer support and asking them to forward your message to the management. Posting it here, in a forum which is not formally supervised by FTDNA employees and serves mainly as a gathering place of all other customers like you, cannot bring much good. But it's those people in the company who have been inherently bad in crisis communication that should be made aware of our bad feelings. Ancestry DNA too has their dark sides, although (and also because) they are really good at marketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kohlehydrat View Post
                    batch 942 here which (see previous pages) had already been moved back twice when i wrote to support last week. i was assured then that FF results would be uploaded by the end of the week, so that would have been sunday at the latest. i wrote again yesterday and just now received this answer:

Have to wonder who the "majority" are, so many are posting about batch 942, no one has mentioned they have results. Where or who is the majority? Why didn't the rest of us get them? What challenges? Are we really that special?

More nonsense from this company that has a really big problem communicating with their customers.

As far as writing customer service to pass on to management, I tried that, last weekend. As of this morning there has been no reply what so ever from anyone.

Comment

• I've had a mixed experience with ordering this time around, I had 2 samples sent in the same package so were received at the same time.

I ordered 3 tests in total, 2 FF and 1 mtDNA. All were batched on 25/02/19 as part of batch 944.

The mtDNA full sequence which was supposed to take the longest finished early on 19/03/19 vs the earliest date initially given which was 05/04/19.

And then for the same sample for the mtDNA test, I got my FF results late on 10/04/19 against an earliest date of 01/04/19.

Which leaves the other sample remaining, I haven't contacted customer services yet but I'd thought I'd share my experience here.

I've ordered an mtDNA full sequence on another sample and all the individual str upgrades from 25 to 111 and so far every test came back earlier than the given estimation. Given what I've read about this test prior, I'm surprised that it has taken longer than what I was led to believe.

Comment

• Batch 942 (need I say more?). Delayed at least 3 times. I have 2 kits, the subject of one died last week. I have to hope there's no problem with the sample. If I'd known in advance about the chip change I would probably have opted for Ancestry.

Comment

• Batch 942 is pushed back, again! Now they are saying May 6th after they batched this kit on Feb 18th. That's absolutely ridiculous, get your act together Family Tree DNA.

Comment

• I wish there was a place where batches for FF are listed as they have been processed AND posted. There have to be some batches being posted because I get several new matches almost everyday. The kit I'm waiting on is 947. In this same kit was a Y test and it posted over two weeks ago .

Comment

• Hi! Mine is batch 942 too, pushed back for the 4th time, expected 6th may-22nd May. I start to feel like this company was a horrible pick. :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                                I wish there was a place where batches for FF are listed as they have been processed AND posted. There have to be some batches being posted because I get several new matches almost everyday. The kit I'm waiting on is 947. In this same kit was a Y test and it posted over two weeks ago .
                                The problem with that is batches aren't being posted whole, I've had 1 result come back out of 2 from the same batch so it's not as straightforward as that.

Comment

Working...
                                X