Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no breakdown for the origin of matches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no breakdown for the origin of matches?

Why doesn't it let you see the full MyOrigins of each of your matches? All it seem to only show the very closest of all matches and not the rest too boot.

What good is only showing their top level results? That is pretty much useless, why one Earth is their full MyOrigins breakdown not available (even the new 23 lets you see a lot more about your matches and the new 23 is poor compared to the old 23)?

Originally posted by wombat View Post
    Why doesn't it let you see the full MyOrigins of each of your matches? All it seem to only show the very closest of all matches and not the rest too boot.

What good is only showing their top level results? That is pretty much useless, why one Earth is their full MyOrigins breakdown not available (even the new 23 lets you see a lot more about your matches and the new 23 is poor compared to the old 23)?
    Because some view it as a privacy issue, it can be a sensitive issue for some...

You use to be able to see all matches top categories, but they had to change it and added the option to show matches in privacy settings.

Would be nice to have an added privacy setting to show complete breakdown for those that choose to do so....

Edit
    Other choose not to due to fact they do not feel it is correct and is misleading, but I say that everyone is in same boat(same algorithm used), and those of common ancestry will show somewhat the same breakdowns....
    Last edited by prairielad; 24 April 2016, 06:29 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
      Because some view it as a privacy issue, it can be a sensitive issue for some...

You use to be able to see all matches top categories, but they had to change it and added the option to show matches in privacy settings.

Would be nice to have an added privacy setting to show complete breakdown for those that choose to do so....

Edit
      Other choose not to due to fact they do not feel it is correct and is misleading, but I say that everyone is in same boat(same algorithm used), and those of common ancestry will show somewhat the same breakdowns....
      How can it be a privacy issue to see what sub-region someone comes from? How is that any more of a privacy invasion than seeing their top level regions? And again anyone you see in your list already agreed to matching and showing on what chromosomes and where you match which would seem to me to be a much bigger privacy issue than this so once you are sharing that who could care about this?

Even newly privacy paranoid 23 still shows the full break-down of anyone who shares with you.

I don't get it.

It really makes it pointless.

And it would be nice to get to be able to view how people of various breakdowns end up scoring on the test to get a better idea of what your own results mean and how the system works and who might have a little tidbit that you are trying to track down etc. (at least Geno gives you average reference population data but I see the purely FTDNA customers get nothing at all, that's way worse than people who test with Geno or 23 get). But even for Geno transfer people it would still be helpful to see how various individual cases break down without having to beg 100+ people to send their data. I thought FTDNA was supposed to be better and more open than 23? It seems in some ways even more paranoid and locked down and in ways that don't make any remote sense (at least the 23 restrictions make some sort of sense).

Comment

Not that this is all inclusive but I remember a few instances were people did not want to share they matched up to the Jewish Diaspora subgroup.

-Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          Not that this is all inclusive but I remember a few instances were people did not want to share they matched up to the Jewish Diaspora subgroup.

-Darren
          Thanks.

Couldn't that be easily revealed in some cases just by seeing certain other people they match anyway though?

And it if it is just a few people from that one population complaining then is there a way the full MyOrigins for everything other than Jewish Diaspora can be shown?

It seems strange since no other company, even ones like 23 that have gone a huge privacy bent, see any issue with full origins being shared at all.

Or maybe best, what about just offering an opt out for the handful(?) of people who would want to opt out from their MyOrigins being shown so that all the other of tens of thousands of users don't suffer from a crippled product?

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎