Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it usually takes the kit to reach FTDNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kora View Post
    Thank you. I shall check the Elite. As to the discount...can't wait.
    I know you think this, but you can wait. Your father's DNA sample isn't going to vanish in the event he passes away.

Well, full genomes seems better.
    Just make sure you do your research on that. There are reasons it does not have the customer base that FTDNA does.

Well... to make it simpler. If you know your father is dying, and nothing can be done to stop it. Age and cancer. What can you do, if everything else has been done for him, best care, best sitter? Relatives flying to see him monthly.
    Perhaps just keep his genome. For whatever future information you can get, for yourself and your kids.
    And you did your part by testing him. All that you need to do is be patient on the testing. Nothing can be done to make it go faster unless you had a time machine. The waiting was worse last year, but it has gotten much better.

And now look at the reality. The reality is such that I planned to test myself, my dad, my uncle, my second uncle, and my third uncle. At least. They are coming from different families, and FTDNA ships to Russia.
    Now I am thinking, if my own kit shipped from WA is still marked as "pending", and today is the 27th of January, if a major, scientific genetic company is at the whim of some postal workers..which, pay attention, happened neither in CA (23andme), not in UT (Ancestry)... only in TX...how can it be even delivered from Russia, given that the samples wIll be at the whim of many postal workers, in many countries?
    I have not yet received any data to discuss, joined no groups...I am just at the customer level.

And all I am hearing about is that sorting facility in Houston. TBH, Houston problems should not bother me. It is TX inner problem. I paid for testing, and now it is stuck in some forsaken place where overworked people can not process fast enough. For over 2 weeks it has been lying there.
    Reality can be complex. Nothing is always simple. I would not be so quick to think this was a problem only FTDNA faces. I don't know about 23andme though it has different issues as of late, but I had a pair of kits sent to Ancestry on January 9. Finally they were marked as arrived on Jan 20 and 22 even though they were sent at the same time. So far they still have not been marked as being processed by the lab. Granted they did not take as long as the kit I sent to FTDNA recently, but it does not take normal mail that long to get to Utah within the US.

The kit I sent FTDNA on Jan 5 that sat in the sorting facility from Jan 6 to 20 was delivered on Jan 21. It got marked as received on the 25th and has been batched on the 27th. I can see I can order the Big Y for that kit now. So if your tracking number indicates it has been delivered any day before the next Monday, then you should be able to order Big Y on Feb 3. Otherwise add another week.

To give you an idea of how many tests some people take with just the 2 vials, here is a thread about it and a separate post.

http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=35594
    http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...11&postcount=5

You know what, FTDNA... I can not advise you how to run your business, but is an alternative carrier a possibility? If people are able to pay steep amount for your tests, maybe you should offer alternative shipment options? It will be slightly more expensive, but faster. Otherwise you will be losing clients.
    Well they did use FedEx one time when I ordered some blank kits. Though maybe it was due to ordering multiple ones or it was during the time the Post Office raised their shipping fees. However those kits came with the same USPS prepaid shipping/tracking as the rest.

Anyways, I was looking at the dates for a previous kit I sent. I had ordered it on August 6, 2015. After I got the kit I collected the sample and sent it on Aug 11. I didn't make any notes on the tracking but that kit is marked as received on Aug 24 and then batched two days later. So that was 13 days between sent and received at FTDNA. Which is a whole week less than this current kit took.

I still don't see them really losing many customers. Just the impatient ones which were likely not that interested in genealogy to begin with if they want instant results.
    Last edited by The_Contemplator; 28 January 2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

I'm in no big hurry, this test is just kind of a fun thing I am doing since I already have a pretty solid family tree. My wife gave it to me as a Xmas gift and I didn't get around to doing the swab and sending the kit in until the first week of January, maybe the 5th.

I got the email today, 1/28/16 saying they had received it! I'm not sure how much of the delay is the USPS but if it just takes a while to get from the FTDNA mail room to where ever they actually log it into the system.

Comment

How long does it usually take the kit to reach FTDNA

Hi,

I'm also new to the forums and have been looking at the different questions posted. I wanted particularly to reply to the question about the shipping of the DNA test. It can apparently take considerable time. I mailed two tests, one day apart - 26 and 27 December, from North Carolina. The first test, mailed on the 26th, reached the FamilyTreeDNA facility on the 9 of January. The other test did not get there until 26 January. I was obviously concerned that my second test was lost in the mail, so I called twice to FamilyTreeDNA, whose reps were very polite and quickly tracked the package for me. The second test was received at the local post office on 19 January, yet didn't make it into the FamilyTreeDNA facility until the 26th. The problem seems to be with the postal service rather than FamilyTreeDNA!

Comment

Originally posted by DKLacemaker View Post
          I was obviously concerned that my second test was lost in the mail, so I called twice to FamilyTreeDNA, whose reps were very polite and quickly tracked the package for me.
          Hi. I'm curious about something. Did they already have the tracking number for that kit or did you have to give it to them? If they had it on file based on your kit, that would be useful to know for the customers that don't write down the number before sending it off.

Comment

FTDNA has been late on every test I have ever ordered. They do not get in a hurry and their IT is of little help.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
              FTDNA has been late on every test I have ever ordered. They do not get in a hurry and their IT is of little help.
              I've ordered over 20 tests from FTDNA and the vast majority of them have come in on or ahead of schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by hfp43 View Post
                I've ordered over 20 tests from FTDNA and the vast majority of them have come in on or ahead of schedule.
                You are lucky. After 3 weeks of lying in N. Houston P.O, my kit has finally reached the destination, and I was anxiously awaiting the results. Today I got the notification that my batch processing has been delayed. No "we are sorry", just "you do not need to do anything at this stage". My father's test, mailed later, reached FTDNA in a reasonable time, and I keep fingers crossed that his batch is not delayed, either.

Comment

Working...
                X