No announcement yet.

Just a question (not grumble or gripe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a question (not grumble or gripe)

I just e-mailed my Great Uncle who is already 90 and I am hoping he will agree to a DNA test. I definitely want an autosomal test, but hoping for a yDNA test as well since he is the last living direct Krause in my line (there are more distant cousins but I haven't had contact with any of them). So... my question is.... I had offered to take the swab and store it if he didn't want to run it now - how do I go about ordering the kit and having it stored? I know I have read many people who have done this, but not sure who you called and how much they charge for that. He is already 90 and I think he has a couple more good years, but at that age you never know! I am also interested in getting extra swabs since he IS older. Who has done this and how did you go about doing it?

You can order a kit and select the "Bill Me Later" option.

They will send you a kit.
    Have testee submit sample and send kit back to them.
    They will not run the test until you pay for the kit, which can be done at a future time by signing into the account, going to order history and clicking on "Pay Now"

Note though that kit price (price of test) will be full price, Sales and discounts can not be used/applied.
    Last edited by prairielad; 16 January 2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

There is no "Bill Me Later" option. There is one for project admin accounts but for regular accounts I have not seen one.

I have ordered blank kits. This is the way I did it. At the top of these forums you will see "Customer Support". Click it. In that page you will find a "Support" section. You can choose to call them using the number shown in "Contact Us" or choose "Open a request" to do it through email. This is the option I picked.

I don't know how many calls they get, but through the email option I know they will get to it. I won't have to wait on the phone until someone can help me either. I chose the "Buy a Test" category as it seemed like the best fit for what I wanted. In the "Details" box, state how many blank collection kits you want to order. Give them the address where the kits will be sent. State that you want extra swabs/vials. This way instead of getting 2 swabs and 2 vials, you get 4 of each.

Once they confirm your order, you will get an email with your new kit number and password. I was told I did not need to pay for the kits before processing them for tests, but I found the "Pay Now" link in each blank kit's "Complete Order History" page and went ahead and paid. The blank kit and its shipping/handling is $9.95 each. Extra swabs/vials don't cost extra.

They were taking a while to ship them, which is what prompted me to go looking for the pay now links. If you have questions, just make sure to reply to the email they send you. This keeps all the information together like a forum thread for them.

I had requested the blank kits on a Sunday, but they replied on a Wednesday morning. It was the last week of December so that explains the delay. Due to some back and forth because of some questions I had, I didn't confirm until Jan 6. The next week I replied back as I hadn't gotten the shipping confirmation email I was waiting for. Two days later I received a box via FedEx with the blank kits I had ordered. I got the tracking number off the box and checked it online. It was sent the day before. So while I was told I didn't need to pay, I don't know if that helped get the kits sent.

This option at least should allow you to use sale and discount prices as you only paid for the kit itself. If you end up using the blank kit on a female relative, make sure to contact them about changing the gender assignment of the kit.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the advise! I don't yet know if he will do it or not, but I want to be prepared if he says yes! There are actually 2 people I want to test before the pass away... but I live nowhere near either of them so having them just sent to me now doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Well having a few with you could be useful for unplanned reunions. An uncle from out of state stop by for the holidays. I didn't know he was coming until days before. Fortunately I had a kit ready to get a sample.

While I'm sure you don't have the option of being there when the sample is collected, make sure someone there knows the steps. Maybe a cousin can help your uncle with it. You don't want to find out much later it was not enough DNA to actually take the test. Also ask them to send you the tracking number on the envelope. That way you aren't in limbo wondering if it got lost in the mail or not.

Comment

Also, if you are thinking of getting blank kits or just ordering a new test, you may wish to do it before Jan 21. The price of shipping and handling is going to go up $3 per kit.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
              While I'm sure you don't have the option of being there when the sample is collected, make sure someone there knows the steps. Maybe a cousin can help your uncle with it. You don't want to find out much later it was not enough DNA to actually take the test. Also ask them to send you the tracking number on the envelope. That way you aren't in limbo wondering if it got lost in the mail or not.
              Yep, I did this with my Grandpa. I sent the kit to my mom and my son was heading her way to visit her so my instructions were to get my son to ask and get the sample (knowing he would be even more willing to do it for his great-grandson). Luckily my Grandpa AND my Grandma/Great-Uncle (whom I want the tests for) are VERY alert and capable of following the instructions, but I will still try to get my mom/sister to help collect the samples. They aren't too far from my Grandma. My Great-Uncle is currently far from any other family, but he is planning a move to a retirement community closer to my mom and other family. I know she will go see him as soon as he arrives.

As for the tracking.... I ALWAYS take the picture of the tracking number. I instructed my mom to do that as well, but it was a pain in the butt getting her to send it to me! I will have to have my sister do it next time

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                Also, if you are thinking of getting blank kits or just ordering a new test, you may wish to do it before Jan 21. The price of shipping and handling is going to go up $3 per kit.

Dang!! First I saw about that! Any idea why they raised it? (adding any service? Postage up? Or??)

Comment

There was a USPS postage increase on January 17 which is the cause for the higher shipping fee.

-Darren

Comment

Working...
                  X