Y-111 vs Big-Y?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y-111 vs Big-Y?

I ordered the Big-Y test a couple years ago thinking it was the end-all for Y-DNA analysis after I had already had the Y-67 test complete.

I spoke with a customer rep about the Y-111 during the 2014 end-of-year sale and she said, "oh, it's a different test and it DOES NOT have your Y-68 to Y-111 results."

So, I'm digging around the Web today and trying to figure out how to analyze my Big-Y data. And, this site tells me there are tools to extract the 68-111 marker data from my Big-Y results.

I just paid for the Y-111 upgrade Dec 2015 and feel completely scammed! Shame on you for selling lies to you devoted customers to scam them out of more money. It's really not a good thing since I have many family members I was considering having Y-DNA done for.

Originally posted by FormosaSavage View Post
    there are tools to extract the 68-111 marker data from my Big-Y results.
    Analysis by YFull.com extracts some 400 or more STRs, including most of those in the 68-111 panel. However, they are not subjected to the same degree of quality control as is done by FTDNA. In my YFull results three of the SNPs in that range are missing and one has a value different than the one FTDNA found. Also, at YFull, the only matches you will find are those who have also done BigY or FGC YDNA testing and taken advantage of the upload to YFull. Whether that is a better value for you than the upgrade to 111 at FTDNA only you can determine. I believe that it was helpful to my research to have done both.

Jim

Comment

I just paid for the Y-111 upgrade Dec 2015 and feel completely scammed!
      If your Y-DNA Matches page lists many 67-marker matches (at distance 7 or less), then Y-DNA111 is quite useful in winnowing down that list to your very closest matches. Ideally, all your matches would simply order the Big Y, but that is not yet realistic.

Comment

Already did the Big-Y.

So, by upgrading from Y-67 to Y-111, what I'm paying for is quality control and complete results (just in case some markers are different or incomplete). I guess I can check my YFull results and then I'll know whether or not it's worth the extra $179 for quality control and complete results (if they're truly incomplete).

Comment

So, by upgrading from Y-67 to Y-111, what I'm paying for is quality control and complete results
          Yes, and the matching program at FTDNA. And I agree that, before ordering 111, you should check to see if any of the 67 marker matches that are of interest have done so.

Comment

... the extra $179 ...
            Don't you mean $129? Though if you bought it during the holiday sale (you said Dec 2015) I think the upgrade from Y67 to Y111 was $103. Plus if you had used one of the $20 coupons that were being shared during the sale that would have been $83 as the final price.

I hope you did have close matches at Y67, otherwise you won't get much out of Y111 until you do have close matches.

Comment

Working...
            X