New Font? My poor eyes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Font? My poor eyes...

I don´t know, if I am the only one, who do not like the "modern" font used now here in the Forum, but I think it´s really hard to read. Worst is the italic way in citations.

Is there a possibilty to change it via my own user CP or do you all see the new font?

And, in case you also see it - do you like it? Or should we apply to change it?
    Last edited by Petra; 29 December 2015, 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Petra,

Not sure if this will help. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there will be the Contact Us Archive etc. menu bar. To the left of this will be a couple of fields the first will likely say FTDNA 2012. You can change this to vBulletin 3 for a different format for the forums.

-Darren
    Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
      Hi Petra,

Not sure if this will help. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there will be the Contact Us Archive etc. menu bar. To the left of this will be a couple of fields the first will likely say FTDNA 2012. You can change this to vBulletin 3 for a different format for the forums.

-Darren
      Family Tree DNA
      I cannot see anything like that anywhere on the page.

At the position you had described, I have Quick Language Chooser.

Mr W

P.S.
      And not in User Control Panel > Edit Options either

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
        I don´t know, if I am the only one, who do not like the "modern" font used now here in the Forum, but I think it´s really hard to read. Worst is the italic way in citations.

Is there a possibilty to change it via my own user CP or do you all see the new font?

And, in case you also see it - do you like it? Or should we apply to change it?
        Have you tried making it larger in your browser by pressing CTRL +

CTRL - will make the font smaller
        CTRL 0 will return to whatever is set as the default

Mr W

Comment

Hallo Darren and DNA,

thank you for your Responses. I am sorry, but in the field section on the bottom I can´t find any field, where I could Change the Bulletin Version into FTDNA 2012 or Version 3..X?...

My Problem is not the size of the font - it´s just the type of the font. I think it´s not very agreable to read, especcially the cursiv style - it´s very thin written.

So if somebody has any other idea how I could change the Forum (Bulletin Version) into the old Version, I would be glad :-) If not, I guess I have to accustom my eyes to it or Need to go to the ophtalmologist.

Besides, I wish you all a "guten Rutsch" (= a good glide?) into the new year 2016 :-)

Petra

Comment

Guten Rutsch to you, Petra! Happy New Year!

The font that you are finding difficult to read is Open Sans. Some good information about it is available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sans (sadly no version in German yet...).

Please take some time to take a look at a sample of that font at http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Open+Sans#variants using different browsers. If you are using Microsoft Windows, that is fairly easy. Let's say you are using Internet Explorer, then you can try portable versions of
            If you are already using Google Chrome, there is no need to try Iron - they should display the same.

Each of those browsers displays Open Sans a little bit differently. Please try.

Also, the way the forum pages are displayed, the font Open Sans is meant to be downloaded by the browser from the Internet. Please check whether you have a version of Open Sans installed on your system (it would be available as a choice in Word or whatever you use for writing). If you have it locally installed, please remove it, since it might interfere with the proper display. I was surprised to learn that increasing font size did not improve legibility for you, so that is why I have a hypothesis that something is wrong with Open Sans on your system.

Mr W

P.S.
            I have used yet another browser SeaMonkey (a Portable Edition of it) http://portableapps.com/apps/interne...onkey_portable that displays like Firefox. Since in SeaMonkey it is almost trivial to enforce the font to be displayed. I had gone through many fonts and I had not found a satisfactory replacement. I am guessing that it could be related to Open Sans being offered in more styles than any other font I have on my system.
            Last edited by dna; 30 December 2015, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Hallo DNA,

wow, thank you very much for your basket full of ideas, how I could solve my problem with this new font. Well, I tried now to browse with Chrome as I am usually a boring IE user. It was worse than before. When I use the Ctr+ the font gets bigger, but I have to scroll a lot right and left... Ja, I got the Opens Sans font installed on my PC, but did not like to delete it. Probably I got problems with my "Grafikkarte" ( don´t know the Engl. word), which I first need to solve.

Nevertheless I thank you for your helpful post and wish you a nice new years evening tomorrow and for sure: good luck for your 2016 and in DNA/family research!

Petra

Comment

If you want to have Open Sans on your computer system (so it is a good font after all ), please go to page
                http://github.com/google/fonts/tree/...pache/opensans
                and download the current versions (the TTF files), then install them.

Yes, it could be a problem with your video card (graphic card), if it is VERY old one or more likely with settings for displaying fonts on your screen.

Mr W

P.S.
                You can also try Firefox

Comment

Ok, I dared to download the ttf files and to replace them... You have to know, I am absolutely not an IT-Girl and always quite cautious, as I need my PC to work from my home office, too

And it works! Great! The italics font now is stronger, also the other. Never thought, that I would get PC help here in the Forum...

So I won´t bore the other Forum users, but perhaps your tips will help also other, who have older versions of their Open sans font installed.

Thank you DNA!

Comment

For Google chrome, there is an extension you can add that allows you to change webpage font

It is call Font Changer
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post

Ok, I dared to download the ttf files and to replace them... You have to know, I am absolutely not an IT-Girl and always quite cautious, as I need my PC to work from my home office, too

And it works! Great! The italics font now is stronger, also the other. Never thought, that I would get PC help here in the Forum...

So I won´t bore the other Forum users, but perhaps your tips will help also other, who have older versions of their Open sans font installed.

Thank you DNA!
                      I am glad I was able to help.

And the problem is hitting more, and more users with some fonts like Open Sans and Lato being often used for web and for printing.

Mr W

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                        For Google chrome, there is an extension you can add that allows you to change webpage font

It is call Font Changer
                        Thank you for the tip! I will try that next week.

Mr W

Comment

Working...
                        X