Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Scottish Mapping project still active?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Scottish Mapping project still active?

Hi.

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

Is the Scottish Mapping project still active?

The purpose of the project appears to be to map and compare Scottish ancestry. However, the results are riddled with people with ancestry outside of Scotland. I have emailed the Admin twice and had no response. The last News item was 30 March 2014.

Exploring my Scottish born grandfather's ancestry was a significant reason for taking a y-DNA test, and having the project contaminated by irrelevant data is a bit disappointing.

If the project is no longer active should it be shut down and removed as an option?

This is not a project I have signed on for but it poses a question.
    How much Scottish heritage is Scottish enough. Does autotsomal testing make you Scottish enough? Does Y testing fit the entry level or does Full sequence provide enough proof for admission.
    Because, I have all three, even to the point of connecting to Royal Scottish lines.
    My heritage is primarily British, but probably like a lot of folks, Scotland is more than a little a land my ancestors lived in.
    I have seen some discussions about who was more ethnically
    able to be able to claim their heritage.
    I am happy you are 100 percent Scottish and rightfully proud. If you not pure Scottish, relax.

Comment

How Scottish is enough?

I would suggest having your earliest known ancestor born in Scotland would be the answer to that.

There seems little purpose in people with their earliest known ancestor born in Italy or Hungary for example joining a project called Scottish Mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaton Smithy View Post
        How Scottish is enough?

I would suggest having your earliest known ancestor born in Scotland would be the answer to that.

There seems little purpose in people with their earliest known ancestor born in Italy or Hungary for example joining a project called Scottish Mapping.
        Let us say that someone whose earliest known ancestor was born in Scotland joined the Scottish Mapping Project but then later discovered an earlier non-Scottish ancestor. Would that person have to drop out of the project?

Comment

I'll just point out that I do not run the group.

I am simply attempting to determine if anyone else does.

Comment

Working...
          X