Ashkenazi match turned off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashkenazi match turned off?

In the last couple of weeks, all of my Ashkenazi kits have received a handful of "close" matches, in the 130-140cM total range, but with the largest segment in the 8-13cM range. This doesn't seem like they should be showing up as a close Ashkenazi match.

I know there is (was?) an algorithm to "downgrade" Ashkenazi matches because of our inter-relationships. Has this algorithm been turned off or discontinued?

There has not been any change in my list of matches so whatever algorithm was in use for the last couple of years is still. I also have plenty of such close (2nd to 3rd etc) relationships with no way to actually figure out HOW. It may simply be a tough problem with no good solution and rather than miss some actual relationship which fits that label FTDNA has elected to provide a much larger list...

Comment

I've noticed the same issue for Ashkenazi matches reported starting as of about September 6 (but not for matches first reported prior to that time).

For example, my Mom has a suggested second cousin to fourth cousin with whom she shares 131.18 total cM, with a longest shared segment of 7.11 cM. Similar matches reported prior to September 2015 are suggested fifth cousins to remote cousins.

Comment

One thing I've noticed is some Ashkenazi matches the last month that likely are Ancestry transfers that are matching on FTDNA but not on Ancestry.

I have no known Ashkenazi heritage and very few Ashkenazi matches on Ancestry, but over a thousand Ashkenazi matches on FTDNA. Ancestry filters out all of these matches, but FTDNA never has. I have many 2nd to 4th cousins with 100% Jewish heritage on FTDNA, but if I have any Jewish heritage, it's in the 16 or 17th centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
          In the last couple of weeks, all of my Ashkenazi kits have received a handful of "close" matches, in the 130-140cM total range, but with the largest segment in the 8-13cM range. This doesn't seem like they should be showing up as a close Ashkenazi match.

I know there is (was?) an algorithm to "downgrade" Ashkenazi matches because of our inter-relationships. Has this algorithm been turned off or discontinued?
          I don't think they ever will create a feature? But I always get tons of these emails for close matches too, not AJ but I do come from an endogamous background. And since I am also the project admin for our group, more emails as well as for all the accounts that I handle for all these CLOSE matches.

Comment

Working...
          X