Big Y and other Y-DNA tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Y and other Y-DNA tests

Okay, one thing that bothers me is that databases for Big Y results and the regular Y DNA 37 - 111 are separate. I get the whole money making issue, but I think more users would be likely to save up and order Big Y, if benefits existed in both matching areas. One should be able to get results for both. The front end results classification for Big Y is only good for science, but doesn't provide benefit for surname groups without an admin manually reviewing results. Even then, it requires using a 3rd party website. It's just unnecessary.

Originally posted by Muldurath View Post
    [----] The front end results classification for Big Y is only good for science, but doesn't provide benefit for surname groups without an admin manually reviewing results. Even then, it requires using a 3rd party website. It's just unnecessary.
    Isn't it that when someone sharing your surname does not show in Big Y results, then his surname came into existence independently (e.g. Smith)?

No need for an admin or the 3rd party analysis.

Mr. W

P.S.
    In my opinion, Big Y result presentation could be improved in many ways.

Comment

What I mean by that is Big Y provides the same results in the other Y tests. If the results from Big Y were then also posted in the same format in the other database, then it could also be matched with the regular Y test takers.
      Right now you have to take both tests to get the access to all users. You could technically just take Big Y and access both for less.

Comment

Originally posted by Muldurath View Post
        What I mean by that is Big Y provides the same results in the other Y tests.
        Not exactly. Although the Big Y (with YFull's analysis) provides about 100 out of FTDNA's standard 111 markers, the results are not guaranteed correct in the same way that FTDNA's regular marker panel tests are.

Nevertheless, I agree with you that FTDNA ought to provide a way to compare and match results from the two different kinds of tests, or else offer a significant price discount for ordering both.

Comment

Working...
        X