Living Ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living Ancestors

Someone has my immediate family members on their family tree that is viewable to matches. These Family members (including myself) are living.

I view this as a privacy issue and would like to know how to make it private when it's on someone else's family tree?

Does FTDNA not have a 100 year privacy clause??

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gabriel; 5 August 2015, 10:43 PM. Reason: additon

Can you explain how you know someone has your family members listed in their tree?

Is this one of your matches that you click on their tree?

or is done by entering name in search box in upper left of your FTDNA account which brings up trees that you can view?

Comment

If they have YOUR family members, it is because you didn't make them private in the first place... so be careful of that. That said, IF they get information from other people, they should be making sure to mark them as living and private. Also... everyone needs to check their privacy settings for living/deceased... there are 3 options, so no... not a default of 100+ years. I set my privacy preferences and it was constantly asking if I wanted to change them, driving me crazy lol

Comment

Privacy

I just typed in my family name and a tree showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by jsarnacki View Post
          If they have YOUR family members, it is because you didn't make them private in the first place... so be careful of that. That said, IF they get information from other people, they should be making sure to mark them as living and private. Also... everyone needs to check their privacy settings for living/deceased... there are 3 options, so no... not a default of 100+ years. I set my privacy preferences and it was constantly asking if I wanted to change them, driving me crazy lol

Comment

Privacy

It must have been from an obituary notice. My ancestors are kept private.

I keep getting the same question. They need to add on "don't aske me again".

Comment

Try this

with out logging into your account go to https://www.familytreedna.com/

Enter your family name in the "enter a name or place to begin searching" box in upper left of webpage

Do these trees show up showing your living relatives?

Comment

It's probably USA Census data

It's probably USA census data combined with their own and other's family trees. Ancestry.com is the most likely place they've researched that information. They've either individually researched this public domain information or copied it from someone who has.

There is nothing you can do about it but petition your government to cease making census data public. The most current census decade public is 1940. In the year 2020, the census data for 1950 will be made public, and so on, for each decade.

Comment

Actually, the policy is to release a specific census year's records 72 years later. I believe that period of time was originally chosen based on average life spans in the U.S., for privacy. See https://www.census.gov/history/www/g...ar_rule_1.html So for 1950, it will be released in 2022. The 1940 census was released in 2012, thus 1950 is 10 years later, in 2022.

The date will always be ending in a "2," since the U.S. Census is taken every 10 years, in years ending with "0."

Originally posted by B52 View Post
                  It's probably USA census data combined with their own and other's family trees. Ancestry.com is the most likely place they've researched that information. They've either individually researched this public domain information or copied it from someone who has.

There is nothing you can do about it but petition your government to cease making census data public. The most current census decade public is 1940. In the year 2020, the census data for 1950 will be made public, and so on, for each decade.

Comment

Working...
                  X